PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Master Illusionist PP (PEACH)

Alteran
2008-11-09, 01:54 PM
This is my first posted homebrew, but I think it turned out pretty well. Please post any problems or suggestions you have. The Illusionist is of course primarily a controller, but some of the powers have a bit of a leader-y feel to them.

The illusionist is a wizard archetype that seems to be ignored in the 4e PHB. There was a great Class Acts Article (http://wizards.com/dnd/files/dragon/364_ClassActs.pdf) that I think is very useful, and almost a necessity if you want to use this PP. Unfortunately, it only goes up to Heroic Tier. I guess it's an opportunity for some more homebrewed powers. :smalltongue:

Master Illusionist
“Don’t trust your eyes.”

Your mastery of Arcane power extends beyond fire and lightning. You have learned to warp your enemies’ minds to make them see what you want them to see. You control the battlefield through trickery and illusions. You can use your mastery of the mind to protect yourself and your allies, and to confuse your enemies.

Prerequisites: Wizard Class

Master Illusionist Path Features

Solid Will Action (11th Level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, all attacks against you must hit your will defense as well as the target defense until the end of your next turn.

Practiced Illusion (11th Level): The first time in an encounter you sustain a power that has the charm, conjuration, or illusion keyword and can be sustained, you do not need to use an action to do so.

Mental Assault (16th Level): When you impose an effect that a save can end on a creature through a power that has the charm, conjuration, or illusion keyword, they take a -2 penalty to saving throws against it.

Master Illusionist Spells

Spectral Bind (Master Illusionist Attack 11)
Illusory ties spring from the ground, rooting an enemy in place.
Encounter * Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action – Range 10
Target: One creature.
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 2d4 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and the target is restrained until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Standard: You repeat this attack against the same target.

Illusory Sentry (Master Illusionist Utility 12)
You summon the image of a guard, who protects your allies and traps your enemies.
Daily * Arcane, Illusion
Standard Action - Range 10
Target: One unoccupied square within range.
Effect: You create the illusion of an armed sentry in the designated square. The sentry occupies the square, and counts as an ally for the purposes of flanking. Allies within 3 squares of the sentry gain a +1 bonus to all defenses. When an enemy adjacent to the sentry makes an attack, you can negate all damage and effects of that attack. After negating the attack, the sentry immediately disappears, and this power can no longer be sustained.
Sustain Minor: You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter. Once per round, you can use a move action to move the sentry up to 6 squares.

Imposing Specters (Master Illusionist Attack 20)
You cause tiny specters to appear in the air. They attack and distract your foes, allowing your allies some respite from the battle.
Daily * Arcane, Healing, Illusion, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action – Area Burst 3 within 10
Target: All enemies in burst.
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage and ongoing 10 psychic damage.
Effect: Allies in the burst can spend a healing surge.

Credit to Shadow_Elf for helping me edit this initially.

Starsinger
2008-11-09, 02:14 PM
Confounding illusions seems stupid strong, especially when coupled with Orb of Imposition or Spell Focus.

Alteran
2008-11-09, 02:15 PM
I was concerned it was a bit much, I almost made it a non-stacking -2 penalty until the end of your next turn.

Zocelot
2008-11-09, 02:19 PM
For the Spectral Bind power, restraining immobilizes as well as it's additional effects. You don't need to say that it immobilizes.

I'd recommend replacing Deceptive Action with getting concealment when you spend an action point. I think it's truer to the flavor.

Imposing Spectres seems a teeny bit too damaging. 2d6 initial damage seems better.

Nice job on your first PP. I look forward to seeing more.

Alteran
2008-11-09, 04:51 PM
Edited to implement a few changes, and clean it up a bit.

KKL
2008-11-09, 06:14 PM
The level 16 ability is awesome. <3 -4 to attack rolls and -2 to will defense with a single at-will.

Alteran
2008-11-09, 06:44 PM
Do you mean it's powerful, or too powerful?

Also, where does the -4 to attack come from?

Zocelot
2008-11-09, 08:09 PM
I think he meant -2 (from Illusory Ambush), and he's right. -2 attack and -2 will (the defense you will be targeting) is too powerful. -1 is halving the bonus, but it'll still come into play fairly often because you can do it at will.

Alteran
2008-11-09, 09:39 PM
I thought of that, but I decided it wasn't that much. As has been mentioned, you can already reduce their attack by two with an at-will attack at level 1. This seemed reasonable for a feature you only get at level 16. Regardless, I'll see if I can think of an alternative.

Tuataralad
2008-11-10, 07:14 AM
I'm just a little confused about the mechanics of Illusory Sentry. Does the sentry have HP? If so, how are its defenses determined? Also, can it take any actions besides move actions?

Alteran
2008-11-10, 05:02 PM
The sentry is merely an illusion, and therefore cannot be attacked. He has no defenses or HP. He can't take any actions besides moving, and only when you use a move action to make him move. He also doesn't get a place in the initiative line, because he doesn't have any actions he can take by himself.

KKL
2008-11-10, 07:17 PM
I think he meant -2 (from Illusory Ambush), and he's right. -2 attack and -2 will (the defense you will be targeting) is too powerful. -1 is halving the bonus, but it'll still come into play fairly often because you can do it at will.

-2 (Illusory Ambush), -2 (Psychic Lock) and -2 Will (Confounding Illusions).

Alteran
2008-11-10, 08:58 PM
Right, psychic lock.

How about:

Mental Assault (16th Level)

When you impose ongoing damage on a creature through a power that has the charm, conjuration, or illusion keyword, they take a -2 penalty to saving throws against it.

Shadow_Elf
2008-11-25, 08:18 PM
You don't deal ongoing damage with conjuration, charm and illusion attacks very often. So this new feature is quite useless IMHO.

How about you gain concealment from them until the end of their next turn when u hit them with charm, illusion or conjuration powers?