PDA

View Full Version : Dead?

kell the brute
2008-11-09, 05:46 PM
My DM (and party) plan to turn me into a zombie, and I don't care. So how does one go about joining the legions of the undead.:xykon: Symbol of Death on my chest!

SurlySeraph
2008-11-09, 06:16 PM
Well, first off, zombies are mindless. That will be a problem for you.

If you have access to Libris Mortis, you can be a Corpse Creature, which is basically a sentient zombie. Or, if your DM doesn't pay much attention to level adjustment and your party somehow has access to Create Undead or Create Greater Undead, you can be a useful kind of undead.

ChaosDefender24
2008-11-09, 06:36 PM
Necropolitan (Libris Mortis) is generally the most popular option. Gravetouched ghouls (Same book) can be fun, too, but will require some halp from the DM...

mabriss lethe
2008-11-09, 09:04 PM
I personally love the wight options in Libris mortis. wights are pretty nasty customers and can spawn an army of nasty customer slaves in short order. According to the rules, you don't have a cap on how many spawn you control. Take either cleric or dread necro after exiting the class for added levels of undead friendly-nasty.

ChaosDefender24
2008-11-09, 10:17 PM
The LA's killer, though, IMO it would be much better simply to get your hands on a wight and make an army out of commoners. If the DM isn't going to throw one at you, kill something via neg-levels and wait until sundown.

The PC's wight is Soul Eater, and life is a pre-req :(

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-09, 10:29 PM
Second Necropolitan. The template rocks and has no long-term negatives(unlike the LA monsters that are your only other options). What's your current build, and can you squeeze a level of Shadow Sun Ninja or Dread Necromancer in there?

kell the brute
2008-11-13, 08:50 PM
Thank's guys. By the way, how useful would it be to put a simble of death on an undeads torso. If you have any suggestions on how to trap the living dead, let me know.

kell the brute
2008-11-13, 10:13 PM

If you have access to Libris Mortis, you can be a Corpse Creature, which is basically a sentient zombie. Or, if your DM doesn't pay much attention to level adjustment and your party somehow has access to Create Undead or Create Greater Undead, you can be a useful kind of undead.

I'm curious as to what you mean by a useful undead?

streakster
2008-11-13, 10:15 PM
Thank's guys. By the way, how useful would it be to put a simble of death on an undeads torso. If you have any suggestions on how to trap the living dead, let me know.

I'm too sexy for my shirt, so sexy it hurts...you.:smalltongue:

monty
2008-11-13, 10:21 PM
I'm too sexy for my shirt, so sexy it hurts...you.:smalltongue:

Your shirt of Gentle Repose?

RS14
2008-11-13, 10:36 PM
Zombies can take only a single standard action per round, and have 1/2 base attack bonus. Depending on how strictly your DM applies the template, it could suck badly.

As for the Symbol of Death, that could be pretty cool. Get it permanencied, although that requires a 16th level caster and 4000xp. Some of the weaker Symbols can be had earlier, though.
How many levels do you expect this to last? A Symbol of X will not get any stronger as you increase in levels. There may be some better way to get it.

Draken
2008-11-13, 10:59 PM

Can't find Corpse (or Bone) in Libris Mortis. The(se) template(s) is(are) from BoVD as far as I recall.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-11-13, 11:33 PM
Can't find Corpse (or Bone) in Libris Mortis. The(se) template(s) is(are) from BoVD as far as I recall.

Yep, both BoVD, not LM.

kell the brute
2008-11-15, 05:09 PM
Zombies can take only a single standard action per round, and have 1/2 base attack bonus. Depending on how strictly your DM applies the template, it could suck badly.

As for the Symbol of Death, that could be pretty cool. Get it permanencied, although that requires a 16th level caster and 4000xp. Some of the weaker Symbols can be had earlier, though.
How many levels do you expect this to last? A Symbol of X will not get any stronger as you increase in levels. There may be some better way to get it.

speaking of 16th level caster, I'm curious how that works. at 20th level a caster can use 9th level spells, so unless it's epic, i'm not sure how that works. I could easily be mistaken and that could mean a caster at class level 16 but i'm not sure.

AslanCross
2008-11-15, 05:25 PM
speaking of 16th level caster, I'm curious how that works. at 20th level a caster can use 9th level spells, so unless it's epic, i'm not sure how that works. I could easily be mistaken and that could mean a caster at class level 16 but i'm not sure.

It means a caster at class level 16. Symbol of death needs a 15th-level caster, while permanency requires a 16th-level caster to work on symbol of death.

Bayar
2008-11-15, 05:28 PM
I say, let them turn you into a zombie, but the fast zombie variant from Libris Mortis, and after that, cast Awaken Undead on you.

You are no longer mindless and are faster than normal creatures.

Now go prey on the living.

kell the brute
2008-11-15, 08:25 PM
It means a caster at class level 16. Symbol of death needs a 15th-level caster, while permanency requires a 16th-level caster to work on symbol of death.

you didn't answer my question.

edit:wait, no. i miss read

kell the brute
2008-11-15, 09:22 PM

i know it could suck badly. what i meant was, what do you have in mind?

SurlySeraph
2008-11-15, 11:21 PM

A zombie is really only good at standing there and soaking up damage. A vampire, on the other hand, can soak up damage, summon allies, debuff the hell out of enemies with Blood Drain and Energy Drain, mind-control enemies, is good at social skills due to its Charisma bonus and Bluff bonus, is great at stealth and infiltration due to Spider Climb, Gaseous Form, etc. A devourer can kill the hell out of people. Wights and Shadows can make armies of spawn. Et cetera.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

kell the brute
2008-11-16, 11:12 AM
i'm aware that zombies are only damage soaking thick headed losers. all i need is to not be mindless, but still a zombie. this is due to the fact that most of my party members dislike me in a way.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-16, 12:30 PM
i'm aware that zombies are only damage soaking thick headed losers. all i need is to not be mindless, but still a zombie. this is due to the fact that most of my party members dislike me in a way.Turn Necropolitan first. It's easy and cheap and it will keep you alive. Sort of.

hotel_papa
2008-11-16, 12:33 PM
Find a different party?

I never understood so many stories about antagonism between players in a game that's supposed to be about teamwork.

HP

kell the brute
2008-11-17, 09:05 PM
we're all some form of evil. we work together, but we arre kind of disfunctional. since my guy is crazy, i get to open doors!:smallbiggrin: