PDA

View Full Version : Non rpg homebrewing, do you do it?

YPU
2008-11-09, 06:19 PM
There is a lot of home brewing of rpg’s going on, as it should on a board like this. But I was wondering, how many of us also build other kinds of games? Ie games not primarily RPG?
I myself tend to begin on projects but never finish, the two current things im working are a racing game with guns, like dark future or carwars, nothing original, just flexing my understanding of mechanics here.
The other, working name survivor, is a post apocalypse game in the style of settlers of catan. Scavenging trading an raiding would be important, but there would also be more combat against typical post poc monsters such as zombies, mutants and robots. I’ll might create a topic on either of those games later on.
Anyhow, play grounders do you ever think up non rpg boardgames?

EDIT: and now I realize this should be in the other topic rather then homebrewing, silly me.

RTGoodman
2008-11-09, 09:39 PM
I THINK a lot about it, but I've never really gotten around to actually putting anything on "paper." :smallredface:

One that I really like the idea of is a fleet-based pirate-age naval warfare game based somewhat on the Axis & Allies: War at Sea combat rules, but with more than just skirmish-level play. My old professor and "historical gaming group" adviser did a similar thing using the basic War at Sea rules but with a world map and focus on capturing supply ships in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, and I think it's a really neat system.

golentan
2008-11-09, 09:52 PM
I've been working on a (sadly) 2d space combat tactical game. Hexes, realistic scale, time lag, and it tracks acceleration and vectors. Combat balance is difficult to judge, but I think it is at least fairly high realism.

afroakuma
2008-11-09, 09:56 PM
YPU, considering the last debate thread hosted here, I'd say your question's got far more legitimacy in this subforum.

I do think up boardgames from time to time, but nothing I can yet remember. Take a look at Stonehenge, though. I'd love to do something like that (someone gives you the game materials and you design the rules)

Pirate_King
2008-11-09, 09:59 PM
You might check out The Forge. (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mqbrlr719dt3pmc3qsshkofqlrgull cq&) You could definitely post about such things here, but you might find more input from the forge

YPU
2008-11-10, 06:17 AM
You know I think that if i would carry trough with the survivor game I would make oots style cards for the play test cards etz, would i get so far, considering it’s the only style of art I can do reasonably.

And pirate king, that seems like a real interesting site, if I get more work done on either of these I might well post it there.