PDA

View Full Version : [B]Death Knight information, PrC, Class or template[/B]

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-09, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know of sourcebook information on Death Knights that isn't severely over or under powered?

afroakuma
2008-11-09, 08:24 PM
Depends how you define that, of course. As I stated in the Request thread, the second Monster Manual had a template. Libris Mortis doesn't really have what you want, but a modified blackguard would be a good first step.

ocato
2008-11-09, 08:28 PM
Er, Define "Deathknight." Do you want to replicate something from a book, movie, or game? Or do you just want an eeeevil knight of doom?

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-09, 08:51 PM
I want to emulate the idea applied to most death knights. Namely a high powered attacker who deals damage quickly and casts evil spells that decrease stats. But i dont want some sort of baddie paladin or a template that poisons my character by cramming LA down his throat. Im thinking that for game balance he should have low saves to Reflex and fortitue and I dont want to put the undead template on him-this is my ideal homebrew for the DK

Starbuck_II
2008-11-09, 08:53 PM
Er, Define "Deathknight." Do you want to replicate something from a book, movie, or game? Or do you just want an eeeevil knight of doom?

Exactly, Crusader fits evil knight of doom.

What doth he mean?

afroakuma
2008-11-09, 08:54 PM
I want to emulate the idea applied to most death knights.

See, when I hear "death knight," I think "evil undead knight warlock," not "evil knight."

Namely a high powered attacker who deals damage quickly and casts evil spells that decrease stats.

Oh, a blackguard!

But i dont want some sort of baddie paladin

...except, for some reason, not a blackguard.

I really don't follow what it is that you want that is different from a blackguard.

ocato
2008-11-09, 08:57 PM
So, you want to beat people up, steal their life/power, make them weaker and you stronger. But you don't want to be a paladin-type. Can I assume that means no Evil Clerics either?

Maybe a Hexblade would be your thing? There's a link floating around somewhere for the proposed "Hexblade fix" from the guy who invented the class in the first place. I would suggest something like that, or possibly a Duskblade.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-09, 08:58 PM
I want to emulate the idea applied to most death knights. Namely a high powered attacker who deals damage quickly and casts evil spells that decrease stats. But i dont want some sort of baddie paladin or a template that poisons my character by cramming LA down his throat. Im thinking that for game balance he should have low saves to Reflex and fortitue and I dont want to put the undead template on him-this is my ideal homebrew for the DK

So no undead: must be living Death Knight.

So you want as Gish?
Dread Necromancer? Has 3/4th bab, 1 martial weapon (I like Scythes), wears armor, and necro spells (which can weaken stats).
Maybe Prc into a full Bab Prc.

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-11-09, 09:08 PM
A Gestalt campaign would be your best bet. Dread Necro//Fighter or something like that.

Siosilvar
2008-11-09, 09:10 PM
1 martial weapon (I like Scythes)

Scythes are exotic.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-09, 09:11 PM
Scythes are exotic.

Which version do you play, Sir? I mean 3.5 has it as martial.

ocato
2008-11-09, 09:30 PM
Poor commoners. Harvesting grain at a -4 penalty. No wonder they are poor.

streakster
2008-11-09, 09:36 PM
As has been said, be a Crusader. Dip into sorceror. Done.

And yes, I find the fact that commoners are bad with scythes hilarious.

Lemur
2008-11-09, 09:37 PM
What about an evil cleric? Or a hexblade or even a pious templar? All of those could fit the bill, and rather easily.

elliott20
2008-11-09, 09:51 PM
I'm really not sure what the OP is trying to achieve here... seems to me he wants essentially a blackguard, but NOT a blackguard.

afroakuma
2008-11-09, 09:57 PM
Already said it.

You can pull your commentary, he's homebrewing his PrC himself.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-10, 06:59 AM
Poor commoners. Harvesting grain at a -4 penalty. No wonder they are poor.

True, but they could use a sickle...it would just take longer.