PDA

View Full Version : [4E DnD] Avernum/Exile races.

Glyphic
2008-11-09, 08:23 PM
Soonish, I plan to run a campaign based off Jeff Vogel's Avernum series of games, over at spidweb.dom. A player has expressed interest in playing a Slithzerikai (http://encyclopedia.ermarian.net/wiki/Slithzerikai). There are similarities to them and the dragonborn, but I'd rather nix Dragonborn and replace them with the Sliths, as the breath weapon doesn't fit at all.

So I got to homebrewing, and I hit a wall. I can't seem to find what's appropos to give new races. I'd like to add a minor cold vulnerability, but the paradigm is "no negatives" as far as I see. So I turn to the play ground for help. The link above can give you a glimpse at the Slith race, and my progress is as follows...

Slithzerikai
RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 6'4˝ – 6´ 10˝
Average Weight: 240-280 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Dark-vision.
Languages: Common, Slithzerikaiis (Replaces Draconic in world)
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Athletics

Gain proficiency with Glaives and Halberds

Resist Fire 5+ (1/2 Charlevel)

Oversized: You can use weapons of your size or one size larger than you as if they were your size.

I'm looking for help making them an encounter power. If I'm really lazy, I may just slap 'Oversized' on them and call it good. The Vulnerability seem like it should get removed. There will also be a superior weapon, the Slith spear.

Thoughts; suggestions; already done somewhere else? I'm also considering making the Nephilim race depending on how this goes..

Changelog

Added Darkvision
Removed Vulnerability
Added oversized

KKL
2008-11-09, 09:13 PM
Oversized seems like a good bet. As for a racial encounter...something in that wiki suggests me an encounter power that grants a bunch of temp. HP, as a sort of clerical thing.

Tuataralad
2008-11-09, 09:31 PM
Seems pretty well done. I guess oversized works, and you should probably include a so-so racial power in addition. I also agree that the vulnerability should probably go, I don't think a single other race gets vulnerability.

Glyphic
2008-11-09, 10:34 PM
New content! Please Peach!

Nephilim (http://encyclopedia.ermarian.net/wiki/Nephilim)

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 4´ 9˝–5´ 5˝
Average Weight: 90–130 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Size: small
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Dark-vision
Languages: Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Thievery, +2 Perception

Fletcher: You gain proficiency with the Shortbow. You may use shortbows in conjunction with rogue powers that use crossbows or slings. Somebody alert me if this has unintended consequences. I mean it to be mostly flavor, with a little extra damage!

Agile movements: You do not give combat advantage when balancing, climbing, prone, running or squeezing,

Tribal calm – Nephilim racial power
Encounter, Standard action- Personal
Effect: All allies in close burst 10 may make a saving throw versus an on-going effect. For the rest of the encounter, you are immune to attacks with the fear keyword. Torn between the type of action required. Almost made it an interrupt.

Glyphic
2008-11-15, 06:47 PM
Just a bump. I gave some feats and an encounter power set to the Slitherizaki, but would love more PEACHing on either..

Slitherizaki racial power (choose one)

Tranquil heritage
Encounter, minor action, personal.

By taking a mere moment for meditation in choas, you tap into the power of your ancestors.

Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +1 bonus on saves. You also gain temporary HP equal to your wisdom modifier.
----------------

Darkling Link
Encounter, standard action. Weapon

Make a basic attack. If you hit, you deal poison damage equal to your wisdom modifier, and the target takes 2 ongoing poison damage (save ends). Improves in someway after the heroic tier

Slith Feats.
Slitherizaki Frenzy [Dragonborn]
Prerequisite: Slitherizaki
Benefit: While you are bloodied, you gain a +2
bonus to damage rolls.

War Training [Slitherzaki]
Prerequisite: Slitherizaki
Benefit: You gain proficiency with the Slith spear, and a +1 bonus to perception checks.

Tranquil Arua [Slitherizaki]
Prerequisite: Slitherizaki, Tranquil heritage
Benefit: When using your tranquil heritage, all allies in close burst 2 may make a saving throw. If they succeed and end an on going effect, they gain temporary hp equal to your wisdom modifier.

Darkling's embrace [Slitherzaki]
Prerequisite: Slitherizaki, Darkling Link
Benefit: When using Darkling Link, use an at-will power instead of a basic attack.

Pronounceable
2008-11-15, 09:11 PM
I think what nephils use are longbows. They also get gymnastics bonuses in later games, so perhaps some AC and Ref bonuses/powers are in order.

Sliths make good mages as well, so maybe they can get +int instead of +wis optionally.

Glyphic
2008-11-15, 09:29 PM
I think what nephils use are longbows. They also get gymnastics bonuses in later games, so perhaps some AC and Ref bonuses/powers are in order.

Not a bad Idea, but I'm more looking to give them a nice offensive bonus. Agile movements is nice for utility and defense/mobility, and Tribal calm reflects their shamanism. As Small creatures, they can't use longbows in 4E. Shortbows.. provide 5 range, and +1 damage. Not great, and I think they need just a little boost.

I toyed with Slitherizaki getting +int, but like +wisdom better. 4E discourages 'special instances' of getting to choose like that. Do you have a mechanical argument in favor of +int?

Prometheus
2008-11-15, 10:13 PM
Avernum, yes! Bonus points if you make cockroach people!

Arancaytar
2008-11-16, 08:33 AM
I would never have thought that my wiki could be used as a DnD reference one day. Yay! :)

Speaking as a complete D&D noob, note that the cold vulnerability of Sliths is supposed to affect only their speed (moving and acting), and possibly (from some dialogue I remember in Upper Exile in E3) alertness by making them feel tired - I'm not sure if that kind of thing can be reflected in the game rules.

Pronounceable
2008-11-16, 10:35 AM
Speaking as a complete D&D noob, note that the cold vulnerability of Sliths is supposed to affect only their speed (moving and acting), and possibly (from some dialogue I remember in Upper Exile in E3) alertness by making them feel tired - I'm not sure if that kind of thing can be reflected in the game rules.

Wis and dex penalty?