PDA

View Full Version : Einhander Feats (d&d 3.5E) ie. fighter and swash love

celtois
2008-11-09, 11:26 PM
Ok I've always been really upset by how poorly done einhander combat was. ie non existant. So I've designed a whole bunch of feats and feat chains to allow people to fight with one weapon and a empty off hand and be the equal of two handers, two weapon fighters and sword and boarders.

Einhander feats,

Precision:

when fighting einhanded* your accuracy improves
making it easier for you to land telling blows.
Prerequisite: bab +1

Benefit: when fighting einhanded* increase your critical threat
range by 2. Ie from 20-20 to 18-20.

special: this does NOT stack with improved critical or keen nor do anything else that increases your critical hit range or multiplier except other feats in this chain

Improved Precision

Your training as a einhanded* fighter increases making it even easier to land telling blows

Prerequisite: Bab +2 , Precision

Benefit: when fighting einhanded* increase your critical threat range by an additional 2
ie 18-20 to 16-20

special: this does NOT stack with improved critical or keen nor do anything else that increases your critical hit range or multiplier except other feats in this chain

Greater Precision

By training to know how you can deal the most accurate hits you've figured
out where to hit them so it counts.

Prerequisites: Bab +4, Precision, Improved Precision

Benefit: When fighting einhanded* increase your critical hit multiplier by one.
ie 16-20 *2 too 16-20 *3

Excellent Precision

Your extensive training has made it very easy to hit vital areas when fighting einhanded*

Prerequisites: Bab +8, Precision, Improved Precision, Greater Precision

Benefits: When fighting einhanded* increase your critical threat range by an additional 2
ie 16-20 *3 too 14-20 *3

Legendary Precision [Epic]

Your mastery of knowing where to hit people for the maximum effect has taught you which of these places will hurt the most.

Prerequisites: Bab +20, Precision, Improved Precision, Greater Precision, Excellent Precision

Benefits:
When fighting einhanded* increase your critical hit multiplier by an additional 1
ie 14-20*3 too 14-20*4

Einhanders Finesse:

Your training as a einhanded fighter has helped you hit more accurately

Prerequisites: Dex 15+, Bab +2

Benefits: When fighting einhanded* add your dex bonus to hit instead of your strength bonus

Einhanders Accuracy:

Your training allows you to use your speed to hit your opponent more accurately allowing you to do more damage.

Prerequisites: Dex 17+,+10 Bab, Einhanders Finesse

Benefits: When fighting einhanded* add your dex bonus to damage instead of your strength.

Narrow Profile

When you fight einhanded you make turn your body so less of you is exposed

Prerequisite: Int 13 Dex 15

Benefit: When Fighting einhanded* and fighting defensively add your dex as a shield bonus to your ac

Einhand Specialization:

Prerequisite: none

Benefit: Gain a +1 to hit when fighting einhanded*
and you don't need the improved unarmed strike feat
to take Deflect arrows or catch arrows.You also gain a +1 to ac when fighting einhanded*

Sidestep:

Prerequisite: Dex 15

Benefit:When fighting einhanded*, Once per round you may make a reflex save for this save roll a d20 add your reflex save + your wis mod or 1/2 your level which ever is higher against your opponents attack roll success indicates that your avoid your opponents attack and thus it misses. Failure indicates that if the attack hits is calculated, against your flatfooted ac.

Improved Sidestep

Prerequisite: Dex 17, Sidestep

Benefit:when fighting einhanded* you may sidestep a number of times per round equal to your dex bonus.

Flanked Sidestep: Skill Trick

Prerequisite: Sidestep, 5 ranks in tumble

Benefit: When fighting einhanded*When your successfully sidestep an attack made by a flanking foe. their attack is instead made against who ever is providing their flanking bonus's flatfooted AC

Legendary Einhander:

Prerequisite: Bab +15, Einhand Specialization, Precision, Improved Precision, Greater Precision, Excellent Precision

Benefit: When fighting einhanded* for all critical hits you make force the person or monster hit by it to make a fort save equal
to 10+1/4 of the damage dealt by the critical hit or die.

*einhanded
this means fighting with a weapon in one hand and with nothing in your off hand

Other Fighter Feats

Combat Initiative:

Prerequisites: Improved Initiative, 20 dex

Benefit: When your go first in combat (act before anyone else) you may make an extra standard or move action

Lunge:

Prerequisites: Bab +2

Benefit: Once per round you may make one of your attack as if your reach was 5ft longer. You may use this for Aoo or the like.

Flurry

Prerequisites: Bab +4

Benefit: When you full attack you may make 1 additional attack
if you do so all attacks you make this turn take a -2 penalty to hit

Imp Flurry

Prerequisites: +8 bab Flurry

Benefit: when you flurry in addition to the one extra attack you can already make You make make one more attack per every 5 hit dice you possess
for each extra attack you make all of your attacks take an additional -2 penalty to hit and a -1 to damage

this lets me do this 10/10/10/10/5 now since I've added 3 attacks
my attacks now look like this
4/4/4/4/-1 and -6 to the damage from every attack so lets say I do 1d6+3
for damage I would now do 1d6-3 min 1

Combat evasion:

Prerequisites: Dex 15, Base Reflex save +5

Benefits: When your are not flatfooted all successful reflex saves you make
allow you to take no effects rather then half

Evasive Mind

Prerequisites: Wis 15, Base will save +5

Benefits: When your are not flatfooted all successful will saves you make

Hardy Luck

Prerequisites: Con 15, Base Fort save +5

Benefits: When your are not flatfooted all successful fort saves you make

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-10, 12:19 AM
Uh, have you considered how the Improved Critical feat stacks with that Precision line? Take a Light Pick(crit x4), get it Keen, and it's 7-20, x6.

In fact, quite a few of these seem too powerful. You may want to scale them back.

celtois
2008-11-10, 12:24 AM
read the first precision it says it doesn't stack. They really aren't all that powerful.. and where are you getting 7-20 *6?

A pick is

20 *4

1st precision feat

18-20 *4

2nd precision feat

16-20 *4

3rd precision feat

16-20 *5

4th precision feat

14-20 *5

5th precision feat

14-20 *6

Imp critical (this doesn't stack with it!)

12-20 *6

keen (this doesn't either)

10-20 *6

where did you get 7?

so they best you can do with a pick is 14-20 *6

which would you say are overpowered?

Da Beast
2008-11-10, 12:39 AM
a disciple of dispator wielding a rapier could take your precision feats for a threat range of 1-20. Pick up lightning mace to get an extra attack on criticals with a mace and give your rapier the aptitude enhancement toget unlimited attacks. if that's not broken enough, add on martial stance: blood in the water (or just dip warblade/swordsage) for a cumulative +1 to attack and damage rolls for every critical you land. This is all very cheesey of course, but even with just blood in the water and a maxed threat range things would get nuts pretty quickly.

Edit: We'll say that the character is wielding a speed rapier with critcal range and multiplier maxed to 8-20/x4. Of those five attacks, three should be criticals. Every full attack will net you an extra +3 to all attack and damage rolls with the bonus only fading after you've gone for a minute without scoring a single crit. After a few rounds this guy will be a beast. With such a high attack bonus power attack will be a great source of extra damage despite the normal limitations for wielding a weapon one handed. Add on some weapon abilities that activate on a critical for extra goodies.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-10, 12:53 AM
I misread the OP, it seemed to say Imp Crit didn't stack, but Keen did. In which case, the mods are applied in the most beneficial order, changing 14-20 to 7-20. even so, a Kukri with 12-20x4 and the Blood in the Water Stance is dealing massive damage very quickly, with little to no chance of not confirming. Dual-wield for extra borkedness.

celtois
2008-11-10, 01:18 AM
YOU CAN'T DUAL WIELD with these feats...

also lots of things get broken when you add tome or battle

and they are still weaker then a caster by far..

Ok the whole 1-20 thing is crazy I will admit but I'm not really sure how your pulling that off. The only reason they are broken is your stacking them with something else. which I will go back in and add that they don't stack with anything else except themselves. Thus the max possible is 12-20 that is with a rapier. Which means you have a 40% chance of a threat the horror. *rolls eyes* Now lets say you have a so so chance of hitting its a strongish baddy 50% chance to hit and you have 5 attacks rapier of speed. So that is 2.5 hits we will say 3 hit now 1.2 of these attacks will be a critical chance. That means that of the one critical chance half the time you'll get a critical hit against a harder badguy and half the time you won't. Now lets say you have a 80% chance of hitting. Ok so you hit 4 times. Now of these 1.6 will be critical chances so 1-2 critical chances and 2-3 normal hits. Which means that you will crit 75% of the time its really not that major.

what about the other feats

Da Beast
2008-11-10, 01:55 AM
the 1-20 threat range comes from disciple of dispater (BoVD) which gets to triple it's threat range when using a weapon made of iron. Lightning mace is a feat from complete warrior that gives you an extra attack whenever you threaten (no need to actually confirm or even hit for that matter) a critical. Lastly, aptitude is a weapon quality that allows you to apply the benefits of any weapon specific feat to the aptitude weapon. But this is all a bit cheesy and not all the relevant.

As for the rest of the feats, some look good, some underpowered, and legendary precision looks a bit overpowered. Einhand specialization is essentially weapon focus which isn't a very good feat to begin with. Improved Einhander Specialization is okay, but there are better things to be spending feats on. The sidestep chain looks weak due to attack bonuses increasing much faster than reflex saves. At high levels you'll pretty much need a natural 20 to pass. Also, Flanked Sidestep is too situational to warrant spending a feat on it. Legendary precision is too powerful. With your critical multiplier between x4 and x6 that save could get pretty high and would be provoked frequently. It's probably not quite as good as what a well played caster can do, but I've always thought that if you want to balance casters you should bring them down a bit instead of bringing every one else up to their level. Einhander Finesse, Einhander Accuracy, and Narrow Profile all look fine to me.

celtois
2008-11-10, 02:22 AM
Maybe make flanked sidestep a skill trick. I've made it so the precision feats don't stack with anything but themselves so that removes the cheese you could pull there. But wow lightning mace sounds pretty amazing.

If I combine einhand spec and imp einhander spec would it be worth taking?

turn flanked sidestep into a skill trick based on tumble

I'll work on the sidestep chain maybe add 1/2 your too hit bonus to the reflex save or 1/2 your level? Or maybe wis mod as well as dex

should I cut legendary precision or maybe make it a epic or at least level 20 feat?

how is legendary einhander?

Also thanks for your comments.

Legendary Einhander:

Prerequisite: Bab +15, Einhand Specialization, Precision, Improved Precision, Greater Precision, Excellent Precision

Benefit: When fighting einhanded* for all critical hits you make force the person or monster hit by it to make a fort save equal
to 10+1/4 of the damage dealt by the critical hit or die.

and all the other feats that aren't einhander specific.

copy pasted for your convience

Other Fighter Feats

Combat Initiative:

Prerequisites: Improved Initiative, 20 dex

Benefit: When your go first in combat (act before anyone else) you may make an extra standard or move action

Lunge:

Prerequisites: Bab +2

Benefit: Once per round you may make one of your attack as if your reach was 5ft longer. You may use this for Aoo or the like.

Flurry

Prerequisites: Bab +4

Benefit: When you full attack you may make 1 additional attack
per 5 hd you possess these extra attacks are made at your highest attack bonus. In addition if you do this all attacks made during that full attack take a -2 penalty to attack and damage for every other attack your got as a result of this feat.

Combat evasion:

Prerequisites: Dex 15

Benefits: When your are not flatfooted all successful reflex saves you make

Evasive Mind

Prerequisites: Wis 15

Benefits: When your are not flatfooted all successful will saves you make

Hardy Luck

Prerequisites: Con 15

Benefits: When your are not flatfooted all successful fort saves you make

KKL
2008-11-10, 04:31 AM
a disciple of dispator

'Cept the DoD is a 3.0 PrC and thus pretty incompatible with 3.5.

also lots of things get broken when you add tome or battle
Not really.

celtois
2008-11-10, 04:37 AM
well in comparison to normal melee classes yes it does. Don't get me wrong I think TOB is balanced just fine but somethings in it can exploit various different feats and the like. So saying something is unbalanced just because TOB class x could use it to do x isn't really a good argument. But lets not start that debate.

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-10, 04:48 AM
I like these Einhander feats. They make the Duelist's Precise Strike Effect more worthwhile.

Flurry's a good feat. Ranged attackers get Rapid Shot, so it's about time melee warriors got something comparable. Some may think it's a bit powerful, however: Slashing Flurry, from Player's Handbook II, requires 14 levels of Fighter, and every attack takes a -5 penalty.

I'm not sure about how you've done the last three feats. Anybody with a good roll could take them at level 1, and shrug off quite powerful effects. I'd make them like the Generic Feats in Unearthed Arcana and give them a prereq of a Base Fortitude/Reflex/Will save of +3 or +4, so those with poor progressions in that field will have to wait. Also, Combat Evasion should only function in light armour.

celtois
2008-11-10, 04:52 AM
the difference with flurry is that you take a -2 penalty to attack and DAMAGE.
Also with every attack it gets worse so say.. I have a bab of 10/5
and I'm level 10
I use flurry

this lets me do this 10/10/10/10/5 now since I've added 3 attacks

4/4/4/4/-1 and -6 to the damage from every attack

I think its balanced

thanks for the suggestions for the last three I like your suggestion and will change it to that

also thanks I'm glad you like the feats
thanks for your kind words :smallbiggrin:

if it makes swashbucklers and einhander fighters worth considering as a decent character option then my work is done :smallwink:

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-10, 06:11 AM
I assume you based Flurry on Manyshot, hence the increasing penalties, but It seems once you hit a certain level, there's no point in using it. -6 Damage at level 10 will completely negate the damage of a weaker roll, and when you encounter something with damage reduction, you're in trouble. I'd make it like Rapid Shot: You get a single extra attack, with a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, with no damage penalty.

celtois
2008-11-10, 12:33 PM
Your idea works better for flurry but I kinda like what it can do now so I have an idea

I made flurry into what you suggested
and added improved flurry
a slightly toned down version of the original

celtois
2008-11-10, 09:17 PM
A rabbit bumps into you