PDA

View Full Version : Finesse and Zweihanders

ObsidianRose
2008-11-09, 11:49 PM
Come on, doesn't the concept of a paladin in mithral full plate dancing around with a courtblade just sound awesome?

Alright, now I know it's not the most optimal, but I like the idea of an Elven noble armed with a courtblade. I'd like to make it work, and just for fun, have all sorts of crazy charisma and wisdom on him.

So would you guys like to help?

Knaight
2008-11-09, 11:53 PM
I would advise against paladin. Go with crusader, don't bother with strength, put dex up high, take weapon finesse, and then put wisdom up as a tertiary stat, with charisma being primary. Maybe take a level of monk just so that the wisdom helps on the off chance that you lose your armor.

Keld Denar
2008-11-09, 11:58 PM
I like the idea of a Rogue/Swashbuckler with a Courtblade and Leap Attack performing a Diagonal Cut (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiagonalCut) in the surpise round. KAHHHH YA!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-09, 11:58 PM
I would advise against paladin. Go with crusader, don't bother with strength, put dex up high, take weapon finesse, and then put wisdom up as a tertiary stat, with charisma being primary. Maybe take a level of monk just so that the wisdom helps on the off chance that you lose your armor.If going ToB, there's no reason not to go Swordsage 2 instead of Monk 1. I agree, Crusader makes this work better, as the main problem with Paladins is a lack ways to boost damage, and Wep. Fin. has a massive problem with that anyways. @ the OP: take a dip in SS, so you can snag the Shadow Blade Feat.

Keld Denar
2008-11-10, 12:00 AM
@ the OP: take a dip in SS, so you can snag the Shadow Blade Feat.

Elven Courtblades arn't Shadow Hand weapons, so you couldn't use Shadow Blade if you wanted to....

Alcopop
2008-11-10, 12:01 AM
Monkey Grip to wield it in one hand and Graceful Edge to make it finessable;

Have you heard about the Graceful Edge feat? It requires BAB+1, Weapon Finesse, and Weapon Focus with the chosen One-Handed Slashing weapon.

"When fighting with the chosen weapon in your primary hand and no weapon or shield in your off-hand, receive the following benefits:
a) treat the chosen weapon as ‘Light’ (i.e., Weapon Finesse applies to it);
b) receive a +1 Shield bonus to AC; and
c) if Fighting Defensively or using Total Defense, receive a +2 Shield bonus to AC."

It's not great, but it could help.

Zack

Closest i can think of to make it legal... and i think thats more pseudo legal then anything else.

Keld Denar
2008-11-10, 12:03 AM

MONKEY GRIP NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!!!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-10, 12:03 AM

Closest i can think of to make it legal... and i think thats more pseudo legal then anything else.It is finessable. It's an exotic Greatsword with a 1d10 damage, 18-20 crit, and is finessable despite being 2-handed. There ought to be an exploit there, I just can't think of any.

Keld Denar
2008-11-10, 12:06 AM
It is finessable. It's an exotic Greatsword with a 1d10 damage, 18-20 crit, and is finessable despite being 2-handed. There ought to be an exploit there, I just can't think of any.

The only thing I can come up with is since its Finessable, you could go with a Dex based character to pump Init modifier. Get something like 5 levels in Dread Commando and maybe some Avenging Exectutioner, and then pop out of the shrubberies, yell KAYAAA, and PA/LeapAttack/Shocktrooper them 1/2 to death in the surprise round, win Init thanks to massive bonuses, and follow through with Combat Brute full attack.

Alcopop
2008-11-10, 12:08 AM
MONKEY GRIP NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!!!

Eep! sorry! was thinking of old nwn rules for some reason /selffacepalm

KKL
2008-11-10, 12:09 AM
Monkey Grip to wield it in one hand and Graceful Edge to make it finessable

Monkey Grip is terrible.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-10, 12:11 AM
The only thing I can come up with is since its Finessable, you could go with a Dex based character to pump Init modifier. Get something like 5 levels in Dread Commando and maybe some Avenging Exectutioner, and then pop out of the shrubberies, yell KAYAAA, and PA/LeapAttack/Shocktrooper them 1/2 to death in the surprise round, win Init thanks to massive bonuses, and follow through with Combat Brute full attack.Oh oooh! Arcane Duelist dip on a Bardadin with Power Attack. Take -9 to damage, add 18 points to damage, for a net +0 to-hit. Leap Attack just makes this more ridiculous. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2008-11-10, 12:23 AM
Oh oooh! Arcane Duelist dip on a Bardadinblade with Power Attack. Take -9 to damage, add 18 points to damage, for a net +0 to-hit. Leap Attack just makes this more ridiculous. :smallbiggrin:

Fixt....ToB makes everything better

Of course, you might also tie in a Marshall dip and be duel Dex/Cha focused. That might work out ok. Marshall1/Bard4/Paladin4/DreadCommando5/ArcaneDuelist1/Paladin5 or something similar would be interesting. Would need Subsonics so you could keep up Inspire Courage while hiding at a dead sprint....

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-10, 12:37 AM
Fixt....ToB makes everything better

Of course, you might also tie in a Marshall dip and be duel Dex/Cha focused. That might work out ok. Marshall1/Bard4/Paladin4/DreadCommando5/ArcaneDuelist1/Paladin5 or something similar would be interesting. Would need Subsonics so you could keep up Inspire Courage while hiding at a dead sprint....It needs Arcane Duelist 3. That gives you the ability to PA massively with no loss of to-hit. In fact, grab a size increase, and you can PA for 11 at no cost. Bard 4/Paladin 1/Dervish 10/Duelist 7/Arcane Duelist 3(not in that order). Take Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Snowflake Wardance. Get enlarged, activate the Wardance, fight defensively for +12 to AC with -1 to-hit, PA for +40 with -10 to-hit, and take 11 damage off of your weapon for +11 to-hit. Cha and Dex focused, of course. Cha, Int, and Dex determine your AC, Cha and Str determine your damage, Dex determines your to-hit, you can charge in any terrain, and you have all of the fun Dervish abilities.

AslanCross
2008-11-10, 01:31 AM
The Champion of Corellon Prc in Races of the Wild might be a good choice to add damage bonus to the weapon. Two levels is enough to get Elegant Strike, although if you want to gain its unimpeded movement class feature you might be able to get that to work. I think it works well with Crusader too. If only its requirements weren't so horrible.

Keld Denar
2008-11-10, 03:00 AM
It needs Arcane Duelist 3. That gives you the ability to PA massively with no loss of to-hit. In fact, grab a size increase, and you can PA for 11 at no cost. Bard 4/Paladin 1/Dervish 10/Duelist 7/Arcane Duelist 3(not in that order). Take Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Snowflake Wardance. Get enlarged, activate the Wardance, fight defensively for +12 to AC with -1 to-hit, PA for +40 with -10 to-hit, and take 11 damage off of your weapon for +11 to-hit. Cha and Dex focused, of course. Cha, Int, and Dex determine your AC, Cha and Str determine your damage, Dex determines your to-hit, you can charge in any terrain, and you have all of the fun Dervish abilities.

Can't SFWD with a 2handed weapon, regardless of finessability....bummer!