PDA

View Full Version : 4E -- Best Wand for my Wizard

Swiftest
2008-11-10, 10:43 AM
Hey all. I'm faced with being pinned down to essentially 3 magic items by my dm. Basically we as a party are concerned about the item power creep that's already starting to manifest itself through the release of new books like the AV. Our DM has said we can have a certain number of items, and no more. Usually 3-5 per character, with a balance of power among them (one exceptionally powerful one in exchange for 2-3 relatively low-power ones, or several ones of moderate power, etc). They'll usually be upgraded over time rather than being constantly traded in and replaced. Let me state here that I entirely support his decision to limit magic items in our game, as 4E seems to feel that magic grows on trees and I don't like that style of game. We'll look to other things to help us keep at our correct power level as a party versus the challenges we encounter.

I'm looking for your help in finding the best wand I possibly can for my wizard, as he'll probably be stuck with it for the majority of his lifetime. While he can probably upgrade it continuously throughout his career, he will most likely not have the opportunity change it entirely at a later date, or at least not often. To that end, let me describe my wizard so you can know what would fit him best.

Mindartis
Eladrin Wand Wizard -- Level 5

STR 8
CON 12
DEX 21
INT 21
Wis 14
CHA 10

HP 38
AC 21
Fort 14
Ref 18
Will 18

Feats: Improved Initiative, Leather Armor Proficiency, Holy Initiate (Cleric multiclass feat)

Powers:

At will: Scorching Burst, Illusory Ambush
Utility: Shield/Feather Fall
Encounter: Grasping Shadows, Color Spray
Daily: Flaming Sphere/Phantom Chasm, Stinking Cloud/Bigby's Icy Grasp

Items:

Cloak of Distortion
Leather Armor + 2
Wand of Chill Strike + 1 (soon to be retcon updated to something better)
Staff of Firey Might +2 (soon to be retcon deleted)

Intended Paragon Path: Divine Oracle

As you can see, Mindartis is mostly a wizard of the mind, using spells that attack will. This will eventually synergize very well with Divine Oracle, methinks.

So, what can the good people of the Playground recommend? What wand would this character find the most useful given his leanings toward psychic powers and attacks targeting will? I may be able to upgrade once or twice, but for the most part whatever I choose here will be what I'm stuck with. Thoughts?

Artanis
2008-11-10, 01:27 PM
I certainly hope your DM is planning on making encounters easier for you, because holding a character to a third of the "usual" magic items seems a good way to nerf you to hell and back. It seems like a better idea would be for him to say "no non-PHB items without my consent". Or hell, even "no non-PHB items".

My suggestion would be to try to get him to implement this policy. It avoids the power creep that you say you guys are worried about without screwing with the game balance even more.

Swiftest
2008-11-10, 01:57 PM
In part I agree with you. 4e does seem to require a fair amount of magic items in the hands of the PCs for them to be able to deal with appropriate level challenges. He's going to make sure we have the 3 key items, though -- weapon/implement, armor, and misc/neck slot. We'll have those covered, if nothing else.

Hopefully he'll be willing to be more lenient in some cases for those classes, such as clerics, who would need a few more magic items to be decently laid out.

Anyways, back on topic -- what's the best wand I can take? I want opinions! Rawr! Thx in advance =p.

ImperiousLeader
2008-11-10, 02:14 PM
Honestly, compared to 3.5, I find 4e isn't all that magic item intensive. Once you've got your 3 primary items, the others are nice but not essential. That said, limiting characters to only 3 seems harsh.

I'd recommend a custom wand with an Encounter attack that you're missing as a daily power. The chart in the PHB tells you the required level. Given that your current cloak and armour lack daily magic item abilities you might as well put one into your wand. Honestly, your current wand is acceptable.

Another option is the "Wand of Psychic Ravaging", but it's encounter ability to cast Eyebite is not going to land with your charisma skill.

KKL
2008-11-10, 07:40 PM
4e does seem to require a fair amount of magic items in the hands of the PCs for them to be able to deal with appropriate level challenges. He's going to make sure we have the 3 key items, though -- weapon/implement, armor, and misc/neck slot. We'll have those covered, if nothing else.
3 items needed all the time != fair amount. The rest are for funsies.