PDA

View Full Version : PrC The Patient Warrior

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-10, 03:29 PM
Hey all, constructive criticism is great but dont say "Hey, you're lacking ______" 'cause I tend to do my homebrewing in phases. However, any issues you have with balance or play style with my character then feel free to say so.

This character is built to be sort of the opposite of a rogue. Rather than rushing in and killing everything in sight, he takes a slower approach. He waits for the most oppourtune moment to strike and puts devastating power into it. He is likely to hit well and hard, but he takes a lot of time to attack. Best stats to invest in- Str, Wis Good but not strictly mandatory stats- Con, Int, Dex Dump stats- Cha (Obviously)

Fluff

"Though it may take a thousand years, the river may cut through even the strongest stone" - The Fortitude of Spirit

Requirements

Need More Requirements
BaB +4
Note- Any levels in Patient fighter count as levels in one melee class of your choice for the purpose of obtaining feats.

Table

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +1 | +1 | +0 | +0 | Focused strike
2nd | +2 | +2 | +0 | +1 | Take Aim
3rd | +3 | +3 | +0 | +1 |
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +2 | Improved focused strike
5th | +5 | +5 | +1 | +2 | Slow and steady
6th | +6 | +6 | +1 | +3 |
7th | +7 | +7 | +2 | +3 | Wait and see
8th | +8 | +8 | +2 | +4 |
9th | +9 | +9 | +2 | +4 |
10th | +10 | +10 | +3 | +5 | Constant Vigalence [/table]

Abilities

Focused Strike
The Patient warrior may choose to meditate one round and add 1d10 to his damage if his next attack hits. This attack cannot be used against an enemy with cover or concealment. If the attack hits, the patient warrior may choose to either knock prone his enemy for 1 round/level of patient warrior or knock back the enemy for 5ft/ level of patient warrior. If the enemy hits a wall during their backwards movement, they take 1d10 per square remaining.
Take Aim
The patient Warrior may choose to forgo one of his attacks of oppourtunity to instead gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls that enemy as long as they are in range of his currently wielded weapon. This effect stacks
Improved Focused Strike
The Patient warrior gains +2 AC when meditating and his 1d8 applies to the next attack that hits, regardless of misses in between.
Slow and steady
The Patient warrior has a base movement speed of fifteen feet (small size 10 feet), but any action it makes can be considered a move action. Also, it is immune to any movement reducing effect and can move at a forced march for 1d4 months
Wait and see
Whenever the Patient warrior delays an action, they may add +1 to their attack and damage rolls until next round. This effect stacks but has a maximum of +3
Constant vigalence
The Patient warrior may participate in a suprise round but must then take the bottom in initative order.

Another_Poet
2008-11-10, 03:43 PM
Hi Drake, I love the idea. The low initiative requirement putsme off, though. Remember, characters who win intiative can delay action, which is exactly the sort of thing a patient person might do. By losing initiative or having a low initiative you aren't being patient - you're simply completely ignorant of what's going on around you. You have slow reflexes, not some great patience.

I'd nix the initative prereq and maybe even require a high initiative or the Improved Init feat, so that the character has more time to think before acting.

Have you thought about giving some kind of bonus for delaying action? E.g.

"When the Patient Warrior delays action to be the very last creature (on either side) to act in a round, he gains a +x insight bonus to his ______ for that round. If the Patient Warrior rolled the lowest initiative and would have acted last anyway, he must sacrifice an entire round in order to gain this bonus. This can only be done once per combat."

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-10, 04:10 PM
Hmm... that seems to make sense

I was planning on having a later level ability that allows them to gain extra bonus to their attack for delaying in initiative...

How bout this: The patient warrior may choose to delay their initative and recive +1 to damage and attack rolls, This effect stacks for a round to a maximum of +3

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-10, 09:57 PM
Sorry, random post 'cause I need a bump.

Shades of Gray
2008-11-10, 11:21 PM
Improved Focus Strike: I assume you mean AC?

Slow and Steady: What about small size characters? A gnome in armour also moves 15.

Overall, it seems underpowered, spend a round sitting to gain plus d8 on damage next turn? If you wield anything higher than (or even equal to) 1d8 damage then it is useless.

DrakebloodIV
2008-11-10, 11:39 PM
Oops, thanks.

Hmm, what if he knocked back/knocked prone any opponent he hit