PDA

View Full Version : Where did our loot go?

Veneficus
2008-11-10, 07:00 PM
So our party had been doing pretty well and found itself in possession of of a lot of loot. Great we think, time to cash in and get some better gear at the next town we come to. The very second the party starts making shopping plans something dreadful happens. The gold quite literally disappears when we leave the cave network we were in. Now I know DM's don't like PC's with lots of money but we hadn't even had the chance to spend any of it on equipment and stuff.

Is this liable to happen again? Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Starbuck_II
2008-11-10, 07:04 PM
So our party had been doing pretty well and found itself in possession of of a lot of loot. Great we think, time to cash in and get some better gear at the next town we come to. The very second the party starts making shopping plans something dreadful happens. The gold quite literally disappears when we leave the cave network we were in. Now I know DM's don't like PC's with lots of money but we hadn't even had the chance to spend any of it on equipment and stuff.

Is this liable to happen again? Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Wait, what?
Is it Drow gear? In 2nd edition Drow gear when it left underground disentegrated. He may be carrying that over to 3.5.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-10, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a poorly orchestrated plot hook: much like Who Moved My Cheese?, just instead Who Moved My Treasure?

starwoof
2008-11-10, 07:05 PM
Did you get this loot in a dungeon infested by Leprechauns?

holywhippet
2008-11-10, 07:08 PM
Illusion magic is the most likely cause. I suppose you could also use some kind of teleport effect but that is less likely.

Hmm, actually it could also be an illusion in reverse. You might still have the gold, but the illusion makes you think it has vanished. Try disbelieving.

Veneficus
2008-11-10, 07:21 PM
The loot belonged to a TON of goblins and orcs.

I suppose it could be an illusion of some kind, though wouldn't our party wizard know this? Or would that have required her to cast detect magic or similar?

Belial_the_Leveler
2008-11-10, 07:27 PM
Cast detect magic anyway. ANY spell, even illusions, leave an aura where they were active, sometimes for days after they stopped working or were cast. If the loot moved due to magic, you should learn how strong that magic was and what school of magic it was (transmutation, conjuration, illusion are good bets).

snoopy13a
2008-11-10, 07:35 PM
If you physically threaten the DM, the loot might magically reappear :smallbiggrin:

Veneficus
2008-11-10, 07:38 PM
Cast detect magic anyway. ANY spell, even illusions, leave an aura where they were active, sometimes for days after they stopped working or were cast. If the loot moved due to magic, you should learn how strong that magic was and what school of magic it was (transmutation, conjuration, illusion are good bets).

Okay, detecting magic is definitely something we should do more often. Its kinda embarrassing that our hard won loot just went poof :smallsmile:

monty
2008-11-10, 07:39 PM
Hmm, actually it could also be an illusion in reverse. You might still have the gold, but the illusion makes you think it has vanished. Try disbelieving.

I disbelieve the nonexistence of the gold.

Only a bit more ridiculous than the air (http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=56), I guess.

Riffington
2008-11-10, 07:41 PM
Is one of your party members a gnome?

Veneficus
2008-11-11, 03:42 AM

Yep, resident party barbarian :smallsmile: (please don't ask)

Thurbane
2008-11-11, 04:20 AM
:confused:

Didn't something similar happen in Tomb of Horrors - all the gold turns to lead, and all the gems to glass?

Texas Jedi
2008-11-12, 12:15 PM
I remember there being some cursed gold that would vanish as soon as it left the area it was placed. I think it was 2E dnd though and was not transfered over in any of the books that I have in it.

[Edit] What exaclty vanished? Was it just the gold or was it all of the treasure you found in the cave? How did the DM describe it? Was it just a poof your loot is gone or did he describe it more detail.

It might have been a plot hook by the DM to start your next adventure. If you are really that upset you should talk to the DM outside of the game and tell him so.

The DM might have thought it was a great way to quarantee you would go on his next quest idea. [Edit] Heck I can't think of a better way to get a party motivated to do anything than by denying them loot.

Vrok
2008-11-12, 12:30 PM
I've DM'd alot before and I've actually done the same, albiet it was when I was a beginner and didn't want the PC's to have much money. I did the SAME thing to my party. They raided a Demon lair and found thousands of Platinum coins, but I messed up and they were suppossed to find it later. The party Wizard was going to take them back to the town to cash it in for tons of magic items, so next game I just said it vanished. Problem solved right? No. Players were unhappy. So Tell your DM to try what I did (Yes, it invovles another quest, but its only a side quest). I had to make something of how thier hard-earned loot dissapeared. I said one of the Demon magi's hid during the raid. After the PC's discovered the loot, the Magi teleported away, with the loot into another Demon lair, its bosses lair. Then the PC's get more slaughter and twice the loot earned. Then they have the gratification of playing a fair game and more than enough gold. And The DM keeps its players and more importantly, his/her RESPECT!

Veneficus
2008-11-14, 06:55 AM
It was only the gold that disappeared.

It was pretty much a case of poof. We all had to role an alertness check or something before it vanished. Perhaps it was an goblin mage or something. I dunno.

I think the DM may be trying to lead us into the next quest. I wouldn't say I am particulary upset, just a little confussed. I thought the basic equation of any DnD campaign is:

Kill the bad guys and take their stuff.

I do however think its a little unfair that all the gold disappeared. It would have been nice to have some left. We didn't find much equipment in the cave.

kingofelves
2008-11-14, 08:23 AM
Oh yes...I have heard of this before. The infamous homing coins. Essentially, they are coins with a magical effect that, when a command word is spoken, they, and the nearest 1000 coins that they are touching will teleport to the owner.
Was there more than 1 or 2 thousand coins in your total loot?
If this is the solution, then whoever did it would have been nearby as you exited the cave, because the coins are active until deactivated, and you said the loot vanished as you exited right?

Thane of Fife
2008-11-14, 10:59 AM

I believe that the better question might be "Is one of your party members a thief rogue?

Veneficus
2008-11-14, 11:13 AM
The coins did disappear pretty much as soon as we left the cave.

I don't think our Rogue took it. I don't think even he could secrete approx 4000 GP on their person. I suppose next session we will have to search the rogue. Any suggestions on how to go about this task? I doubt he'll co-operate. :smallsmile:

Wckd
2008-11-14, 11:45 AM
Hm... A really fast npc with an undetectable invisibility spell cast on himself(or herself) and a high level of sleight of hand may be what cause this mysterious disappearance of coins.

or perhaps you had picked up coins created with prestidigitation or something like that?

Anyway feel free to enlighten us when you proceed in the adventure!

Roderick_BR
2008-11-14, 12:31 PM
The DM might have thought it was a great way to quarantee you would go on his next quest idea. [Edit] Heck I can't think of a better way to get a party motivated to do anything than by denying them loot.
Or motivate players to stop playing, since all that work will give them no reward.
I second the plot hook idea, though, of either fake magical treasure to fool adventurers, or some magical thief stealing loot right under adventurer's noses. Either case is great to motivate the players to hunt down the smart ass behind i :smallbiggrin:

Veneficus
2008-11-14, 12:48 PM
So everyone definitely thinks its an NPC that took the loot?

Our Gnome loony will be happy. A super fast NPC that he gets to tango with. I shall report back on how it goes and what the deal with the loot actually is.

FoE
2008-11-14, 12:53 PM
FoE: Quick! Kill the gnome while you have a chance!

Veneficus: Will that bring back our treasure?

FoE: Treasure? :smallconfused:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-14, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I declare shenanigans on this.

Poofing loot from the PCs is a lame plot hook IMHO, and a terrible way to drain wealth from the PCs. I would like to hear what the explanation is too.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-14, 03:34 PM
It could be faerie gold... but then you'd have rocks and leaves and snails.

It was pretty much a case of poof. We all had to role an alertness check or something before it vanished.

This sounds like it was pickpocket to me.

I prefer to DM by the rule of don't give it to them if you don't want them to have it.

Veneficus
2008-11-14, 03:36 PM
FoE: Quick! Kill the gnome while you have a chance!

Veneficus: Will that bring back our treasure?

FoE: Treasure? :smallconfused:

I don't think killing the loony will get the treasure back but would be amusing. That said our DM is strictly against P v P. Next session is this Sunday and I will defiantly post about what the score with the loot is. I honestly think it was magicked away and our next quest is to find the person who did this and make sure they never do it again.

P.S what is FoE?, I suspect I am missing something :smallsmile:

FoE
2008-11-14, 03:47 PM
If you go straight ahead, it's FoE! When you walk through the door, it's FoE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5MMqNgUzM) :smalltongue:

Actually, it's the acronym for my name. Face Of Evil. And my solution to any problem is just to start killing people. :smallbiggrin:

Veneficus
2008-11-14, 04:03 PM
If you go straight ahead, it's FoE! When you walk through the door, it's FoE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5MMqNgUzM) :smalltongue:

Actually, it's the acronym for my name. Face Of Evil. And my solution to any problem is just to start killing people. :smallbiggrin:

Ahh the solution to most problems in DnD. Hack and slash.

Lappy9000
2008-11-14, 04:46 PM
What's worse is when the gold has a Scrying spell cast on it which will greatly benefit potential nemesis's in the future.

*shudder*

Nonah_Me
2008-11-14, 04:51 PM
Perhaps an Ethereal Filcher stole it. They do like shinies.

strayth
2008-11-14, 05:04 PM
I do however think its a little unfair that all the gold disappeared. It would have been nice to have some left. We didn't find much equipment in the cave.

Yeah, that's sort of a case of reverse-railroading.

Say something. Tell the DM that he annoyed you if you find out there wasn't much of a point to the disappearing gold. It's fair to be annoyed when you go into something with expectations of fairness and find out the cards are stacked against you.

If the DM isn't interested in entertaining the group at the expense of his own little problems, it's not the DM for you.

Veneficus
2008-11-14, 05:26 PM
Yeah, that's sort of a case of reverse-railroading.

Say something. Tell the DM that he annoyed you if you find out there wasn't much of a point to the disappearing gold. It's fair to be annoyed when you go into something with expectations of fairness and find out the cards are stacked against you.

If the DM isn't interested in entertaining the group at the expense of his own little problems, it's not the DM for you.

I think the best thing to do is wait and see what happened to the loot. I happen to like our DM because we more often than not just "go with it" and not refer to all the rule books and stuff. It can certainly provide entertaining moments.

I guess this is a rather silly question but should I be annoyed? Its been several years since I last played DnD and its nice just to be playing again.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-14, 06:14 PM
I guess this is a rather silly question but should I be annoyed? Its been several years since I last played DnD and its nice just to be playing again.

Heavens no! If something doesn't bother you, then don't let the howlings of the Internet rob you of your enjoyment.

I'm just saying that, personally, I'd be miffed if it happened to me. But it sounds like the whole affair has enticed you, so your DM must know what he's doing :smallbiggrin:

Veneficus
2008-11-14, 06:33 PM
Oh I like that, "The howlings of the internet"...

Well I don't think i am miffed. I am just trying to remember if this is the norm for large amounts of gold to disappear. It really has been that long since I last played. If memory serves I believe it is not, but I just wanted to check.

Despite all this, I am delighted to be back into the game and I don't think that any setbacks like this could truly deter my enthusiasm.

Wckd
2008-11-14, 07:35 PM
Hm... Perhaps climbing a few trees to see if Ravens have taken the coins could be wise! As I recall they like shiny objects. If one of the characters in the party has a Raven familiar he/she should probably have a serious conversation with the bird!

Despite all this, I am delighted to be back into the game and I don't think that any setbacks like this could truly deter my enthusiasm.

Many people get really frustrated if they lose some of their possessions, be that real or virtual, so this attitude is no less than golden! Make sure you keep it! :smallwink:

HealthKit
2008-11-14, 11:49 PM

I think it's hard not to be somewhat annoyed. If you and your group worked hard for a reward it's only natural to be disappointed that you've lost it with little to no reason. I know it's just a game and it's nothing to get overly upset about, but I think your DM owes you an explanation to the whole ordeal.

Of course when it comes to a DM giving their party too much gold, there are always other solutions. Something like "Upon further inspection you notice that 4000 of the 5000 gold pieces you found are actually copper pieces forged to appear as gold pieces [whether it's through an illusion or or just counterfeit coins or whatever]. However, the genuine coins are worth 1000 gold plus the copper pieces brings your real loot total to 1040 gold. Curse those dishonest Orcs [or whatever monster race you fought that had the loot in the first place]!"

monty
2008-11-14, 11:50 PM
Hey, you stole my avatar! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

At first, I was confused, because I didn't remember posting in this thread recently.

HealthKit
2008-11-15, 01:47 AM
Hey, you stole my avatar! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

At first, I was confused, because I didn't remember posting in this thread recently.

Uh, no, I made this avatar myself a long time ago. :smallconfused:
I messaged you about it a while back. Did you not get the hint that you stole my avatar? :smallamused:

FoE
2008-11-15, 01:49 AM
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

*Quickly draws circle in dirt around the two*

*Sprinkles the ground with shards of glass*

*Tosses both spiked gloves*

OK, you two, let's have as dirty a bout as possible, and remember: SHOW NO MERCY! :smallbiggrin:

_Zoot_
2008-11-15, 06:37 AM
Well, what ever happend to the gold this is whats important,
It wasn't me

>.>
<.<

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

*Quickly draws circle in dirt around the two*

*Sprinkles the ground with shards of glass*

*Tosses both spiked gloves*

OK, you two, let's have as dirty a bout as possible, and remember: SHOW NO MERCY!

Im taking all bets!

Veneficus
2008-11-15, 07:20 AM
Neither of them will be able to hit the other because they both rolled ones. :smallsmile:

Drakefall
2008-11-15, 07:55 AM
Neither of them will be able to hit the other because they both rolled ones. :smallsmile:

Monty and HealthKit dive tforwards, each ready to inflict a flurry of pain and owies onto their opponent!

*roll*
*roll*

DM: So what did you roll?
HealthKit:... 1...
Monty: %^$@ 1!!!
DM: Ah I see... In that case:

Monty, unfortunately, forgot that he wasn't wearing any shoes and had his feet soundly imbedded with shards of glass of various shapes, sizes, colours and aroma and fell to the ground in agony only to be met by even more glass.

Conversely, as Monty feel he coincidently managed to duck out of the way of HealthKit's overzealous punch, the momentum of which sent him flying over the now bleeding Monty and crash down into his own patch of superheated sand blades.

As they both squirm and writhe on the ground, slowly dropping into negatives, they emit strange noises much akin to the "howlings of the internet".

monty
2008-11-15, 02:05 PM
I guess that's just my poor memory, then. I seemed to remember finding it somewhere randomly on the internet (not here), so maybe someone stole it from you, and I stole it from them?

only1doug
2008-11-15, 04:49 PM
Okay, detecting magic is definitely something we should do more often. Its kinda embarrassing that our hard won loot just went poof :smallsmile:

Yup, You should Definitely detect magic whenever you find a pile of treasure, this will help you sort out the magic items for identification and notice any subtle magic coins designed to curse you or steal your loot.

HealthKit
2008-11-15, 11:44 PM
I guess that's just my poor memory, then. I seemed to remember finding it somewhere randomly on the internet (not here), so maybe someone stole it from you, and I stole it from them?

I don't think it matters at this point.
I'll just recommend to you that you should not recklessly accuse people of doing something that you yourself are guilty of. :smallwink:

But hey, enough about that, what's up with that missing gold, huh?

monty
2008-11-16, 01:28 AM
Just in case there's any misunderstanding, I though the three :smallfurious:s would be enough to convey that I wasn't being serious.

Veneficus
2008-11-16, 05:58 PM
Loot Update

So we had the first session back since the disappearance of the loot and this is what has transpired:

1) The loot was magicked away by an evil sorceress

2) The party's new goal is to retrieve a priceless item that was also magically taken from a noble in a nearby town.

From these events it is clear that having the gold disappear is a plot device to encourage us onto the next quest. On a positive note the noble has used his influence to supply the party with new weapons and armour where appropriate with the promise of an added bonus of 1000GP if we return his missing item.

All in all not a bad session. We now have a new quest and some new equipment.

I am quite happy but I wonder if you would be happy with the way things worked out?

RS14
2008-11-16, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I'd be happy with that. It looks like you'll get it all back, and more. However, I would have preferred the session to end with some clue as to what was going on. I might have been somewhat annoyed if I thought the DM was just being arbitrary.

Just out of curiosity, how did you find out the sorcerer stole it?

Veneficus
2008-11-16, 06:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, how did you find out the sorcerer stole it?

The noble and the sorceress have a bit of history. Basically the sorceress has recently been scorned by the noble and is magically taking any money that would find its way into his or his peoples hands. This seems to fit as we would have probably spent the money at the first town we came to. Interestingly though we have not been asked to kill the sorceress, all the noble wants is his item back.

The_Blue_Sorceress
2008-11-16, 06:28 PM
My husband was DMing for a group of friends many years ago (long, long before we were married) and, having completed their adventure, the players decided it was time to head into town and spend their (ill-gotten?) loot. They all went off and did their own thing, but no one specified that they were taking care to leave the cart full of treasure in a safe place (like a bank, or something like that.) Not suprisingly, the cart of treasure vanished.

This is a sort of a pattern of behavior for mine dearest husband. Wealth by level is, in his opinion, a really funny joke. If your DM is anything like that, expect to treasure vanish with regularity. If not, maybe it was just a one-time thing.

Good luck on future looting endeavors,
Blue

Triaxx
2008-11-16, 07:57 PM
Ah, the case of the amazing disappearing loot. A Pixie wizard flying on a raven, invisible casting illusions on the parties gold. The gold is silenced so that when it's dumped out, only a few of the coins are visible. The party picks those up and continues on.

After a while the coins 'accidentally' got caught in a Dispel Magic AOE. They were casting Dispel Magic everywhere.

HealthKit
2008-11-16, 09:39 PM
Just in case there's any misunderstanding, I though the three :smallfurious:s would be enough to convey that I wasn't being serious.

That gave me the opposite impression actually, but oh well.

It was cool how you got an explanation, Veneficus.
Though in a situation like this the DMs I've had in the past would typically hint of what could happen in the future rather than leave us hanging with no explanation.
In your situation they'd subtly let you know that you could be getting your gold back if you played your cards right, so to speak.