PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and masterminds Campaign idea - Advice and ideas welcome.

evisiron
2008-11-10, 07:29 PM
Greetings, potential believers.

Having obtained the book some time ago, I have voiced the idea of running a M&M game (2.0) for a pair of friends.

My original idea was to play it a bit more uncontrolled by having the players start with random powers. However, with the all pervasive point buy system that really won't work.
So what I was considering was a few sessions of Prologue, where they start human and gain their powers (players chose, but themed and reason), and deal with the city as people game abilities, weird stuff happens and no-one knows whats going on. NPCs range from people hiding their powers to others trying to help to now-insane potential Villains.

After getting a fill of this I was going to jump the game a few years into the future where people have come to terms with the event and newfound abilities, and many costumed heroes and villains have cropped up, and the world has learned to deal with this oddity. Basically going from "Something Has Happened" to "This is how the world is" and skipping the racist X men stage.

Would anyone have any input on this or any M&M advice in general?
(It's my first time playing or DMing M&M but loads of experience with DnD, V:tM and Pheonix)

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: And what would be a good power level for each part?

Tadanori Oyama
2008-11-10, 07:43 PM
I like the idea, you might have a tough time having players develope their themes over time. When I play M&M I have players hit the table running with their concept and themes.

I think you should set power level 10 as the base for the "second" part, where everyone's accepted things.

For the beginning with powers emerging I'd start at level seven. Earning 5 points a meet (quite high award but moves it along) that gives you nine or ten sessions of introductory gaming before the years jump.

Alternativally hand out more like 3 a meet and you'll be fifteen or so sessions which, given weekly meetings and allowing for occation postponment, is several months worth of gaming.