PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Jump

quotemyname
2008-11-10, 09:23 PM
im without my books atm, and i would like to know if someone can post the formula for jump in [4e]. the only part i really need is about distance of a jump check with a running start.

thanks guys

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-10, 09:43 PM
With a running start, long jump distance is check result divided by five. I believe the vertical distance cleared is one fourth of that, in case you're leaping over something.

Dentarthur
2008-11-10, 09:49 PM
(Check result)/5 is the number of squares you leap across. So rolling a 10 would move you a total of three squares, since you jumped over two.

(Check result)/5 is also the number of feet you clear in a high jump, assuming a running start.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-10, 10:01 PM
Ah, right, I was being ambiguous. And got the height clearance wrong entirely.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-10, 11:05 PM
Also, unless you have the level 2 Rogue utility power Great Leap, your jump cannot exceed your speed.

Burley
2008-11-11, 09:56 AM
Also, unless you have the level 2 Rogue utility power Great Leap, your jump cannot exceed your speed.

However, it is assumed, is it not, that if your athletics check is good enough, you 'float' in mid-air until it is your turn to move again.

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-12, 12:05 PM
Only if it is between your first and second moves on the same turn. Otherwise, you fall when you run out of movement. In other words, you have to double move.

Hzurr
2008-11-12, 12:12 PM
However, it is assumed, is it not, that if your athletics check is good enough, you 'float' in mid-air until it is your turn to move again.

Also known as the "Princess Toadstool" maneuver.

*goes off to find his NES*

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-12, 05:26 PM
As Killian said, no you do not "float" unless you double move. Unless you have the capabilities of flight or are falling more than 100 feet (as per the DMG) you are on the ground at the end of your turn.

Blackfang108
2008-11-12, 05:48 PM
Also known as the "Princess Toadstool" maneuver.

*goes off to find his NES*

*opens his eumlator*

Colmarr
2008-11-13, 01:21 AM
(Check result)/5 is the number of squares you leap across. So rolling a 10 would move you a total of three squares, since you jumped over two.

If memory serves, the example given under the boxed text for Jump directly contradicts you.

We had a party discussion about this issue and decided to go with the "across" interpretation, but it's not straightforward.