PDA

View Full Version : I *love* hex-and-counter wargaming--WHO'S WITH ME???

Flame of Anor
2008-11-10, 10:12 PM
So, well, yeah. Darn it, I have got to stop putting all my content in the titles. :smallwink:

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-11, 07:12 AM
Not me, closest I've come to a hex and counter wargame is reading Erfworld.

Ethdred
2008-11-11, 08:10 AM
Do you mean table top, or computer? I haven't done a table top wargame in about 20 years, but was very glad to find some on PC - saves all that time fiddling around setting up the board only to have the cat/younger sibling/wind mess it all up.

pendell
2008-11-11, 08:55 AM
*Waves* Right here. Love Avalon Hill -- Panzerblitz, Squad Leader. I also have a copy of 'Air Assault on Crete', but thats a 6-hour investment of time, minimum -- of which 2 is setting up the board!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Martok
2008-11-11, 11:53 PM
BattleTech and Twighlight Imperium FTW!! :smallcool:

Prowl
2008-11-12, 06:38 AM
I was a big fan of the OGRE/G.E.V. series.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-13, 02:21 PM
I do mean tabletop--the computer versions sound interesting, and it would certainly be easier to set up, leave in the middle, put away, &c., but I think that, besides the fact that you're not going to see the big picture very well on a computer, the board part gives it a certain feel, a panache, perhaps, that a computer wouldn't give.

As for games I like, I don't have a lot--only a half-dozen or so--but I like Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Blitzkrieg, and Alexander. Sinai looks like it could be cool also, and I've been promised a copy of A World At War, but I haven't gotten it yet... :smallfrown:

Winterwind
2008-11-13, 02:39 PM
I love (Classic) BattleTech. I was interested in the universe itself ever since I played MechWarrior 2 for the first time, but the actual hex-based wargame is even more fantastic.

I am still thinking that it would be cool to set up a GitP BattleTech group. I mean, we can hardly play in person, but there's always MegaMek (http://megamek.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main)...

Erloas
2008-11-13, 02:47 PM
I'm also a fan of table top wargames. I really like Battletech but since moving from Phoenix I haven't found anyone else that wants to play. And although they aren't hex based I also really like Warhammer Fantasy and will be starting 40k shortly (the army is in the mail and should be here tomorrow).

I have played some of the WWII era aircraft games too, I think it was Crimson Skies, but I'm not totally sure because I only got to play it a few times 4-5 years ago.

Albub
2008-11-13, 03:48 PM
Megamek is brilliant but my friends have given up on it mostly. WW, if you can round up more people I'd love to play.

Winterwind
2008-11-13, 04:06 PM
Well, how many do you think we would need?

You and I makes two. Perhaps someone who posted in this thread *looks innocently at Erloas* would be willing to join as well. I know of at least two further BattleTech players on these forums whom we could try to ask. Finally, I have one or two real life friends who, I think, would participate in such an endeavour.

I will post a proper thread for this explicit purpose sometime soon... not today though. Too exhausted for such a complex task. :smallbiggrin:

Erloas
2008-11-13, 04:52 PM
I would love to play in some games of MegaMek. Although so far I've only used it for some quick simulations to get a better feel for how some things perform/survive.

As far as I'm aware there are two different ways of doing multiplayer games with MegaMek, one is having everyone connect at the same time, and the other is with passing a save file back and forth.

The group I was playing with in Phoenix have ran a play-by-email game with an interface one of them had writen and hosted. It works well but games take forever, since they have it set at 1 week per turn and have all sides split into 2 groups, half of the force moving by Tuesday, then having that update sent to everyone and then the other half moving by Thursday, with shooting turned in by Saturday morning. But things have been busy for the guy hosting it so its been a few months since we finished the last game.

It would be nice if everyone could just get together at once and play a game, but seeing as how at least some of us are half a world apart it doesn't seem too likely to find a time everyone could get together at. But if we did it that way it would be a lot easier to play smaller games with only 2-4 people. And with MegaMek handling all of the paperwork it would speed the game up a fair amount so that you should be able to finish a smaller game in a few hours or less.

Its been a while since I've used MegaMek though, so maybe there are other options I'm not aware of.

Winterwind
2008-11-14, 06:24 AM
I would love to play in some games of MegaMek. Although so far I've only used it for some quick simulations to get a better feel for how some things perform/survive. Alright, great! :smallsmile:

It would be nice if everyone could just get together at once and play a game, but seeing as how at least some of us are half a world apart it doesn't seem too likely to find a time everyone could get together at. But if we did it that way it would be a lot easier to play smaller games with only 2-4 people. And with MegaMek handling all of the paperwork it would speed the game up a fair amount so that you should be able to finish a smaller game in a few hours or less.Well, from the other GitP gaming groups I know Europe and America are not that far apart that we could not find a common time to play, and with MegaMek even somewhat larger games are reasonably fast - not to mention it is capable of saving and loading games, so in the worst case we could interrupt and continue at some other time. If we would start about 4 or 5 PM EST, I think this should be late enough for most American players and yet early enough for me or any other European players who might yet join.

Its been a while since I've used MegaMek though, so maybe there are other options I'm not aware of.No, I think the two options you mentioned pretty much sum it up.

I will create a thread for this on Monday, when I have more time, we can discuss further organizational issues there. :smallwink:

Thane of Fife
2008-11-14, 01:24 PM
Hurrah! I am with you on this one (the hex-and-counter part, not the the BattleTech).

You may find this (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/sspp/ws/consim.html) website interesting. I certainly do.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-14, 05:19 PM
Whoa...that's pretty darn cool! I'll have to check it out in more detail when SOMEONE isn't clamoring to have her turn on the computer :smallmad:. Ah well. Little sisters. I'm sure you all know the feeling :smallwink:.

Astrella
2008-11-19, 06:22 PM
Battlelore is also a very enjoyable hex-based boardgame.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/battlelore/en/

bigity
2008-11-21, 10:09 AM
World in Flames,

a table top game so big, you need a dedicated room for it. A big one (depending on how many optional maps you use).