PDA

View Full Version : Best Wii Games

Dirk Kris
2008-11-11, 11:18 AM
OK, I just bought a Wii (shaddup), and I'm wondering what are the best games out there for me? I like RPG's, puzzle games, group-type games (Mario Party and the like), some shooters, adventure games.

NOT SPORTS OR FIGHTING GAMES - though SSBB looks like tons of fun.

So, what's hype? And what's actually good?

Suzuro
2008-11-11, 11:20 AM
...bought a Wii about a month ago, and haven't gottten to play it yet...I did buy Super Smash Brothers Brawl, however (I don't like acronyms).

-Suzuro

Darth Mario
2008-11-11, 12:17 PM
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (adventure game)
Okami (adventure game)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (shooter, though an easy one)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (group game/fighting game, though an awesome one)
Guitar Hero 3 (or wait for Guitar Hero: World Tour to come out)
Rock Band (or wait for Rock Band 2 to come out)

Guitar hero is more for the hardcore rhythm game players, like myself. The songs are harder and have a steeper learning curve. Rock Band is more casual and easier for people to pick up and play.

Tuataralad
2008-11-13, 08:01 AM
My favourites that I have are:

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

I also like lots of other ones, but those are my top 4

itsmeyouidiot
2008-11-13, 09:58 AM
I'd reccomend Dokapon Kingdom, it's a fun blend between Mario Party and a turn-based RPG.

It looks all kiddy and stuff, and the concept is kind silly, but I love that game anyway. Go buy it.

Fan
2008-11-13, 10:10 AM
Okami (adventure game)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (shooter, though an easy one)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (group game/fighting game, though an awesome one)
Guitar hero is more for the hardcore rhythm game players, like myself. The songs are harder and have a steeper learning curve. Rock Band is more casual and easier for people to pick up and play.

hmm, these ones that i have snipped above are about it.... even then they arent very good, and thats not just my fanboy talking... the wii mote is absolutely ignorant of alot of actions, adn the technology behind it is entirely a rip off of another companies tech, and the old Powerglove.

Another_Poet
2008-11-13, 10:38 AM
Fire Emblem. AWESOME game (although I admit I'm only two battles in so far).

Joe_Barbarian
2008-11-13, 11:19 AM
Well if you like puzzle/adventure games I would recommend the LEGO series.

"LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga" is my favorite of the series Then Batman and lastly Indiana Jones.

The Star Wars and the Indiana Jones games follow the movies main points and the attention to detail for the levels is pretty amazing.

The Batman game has no Movie to follow but you can play the Batman side or the Villlian side.

I enjoy it at 40 years old and can play these game with my 5 year old son.

Mando Knight
2008-11-13, 11:42 AM
Best Wii Games?

Definition: Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

See also: The Force Unleashed, Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, and LEGO.

ocato
2008-11-13, 11:51 AM
If you don't have one, get a gamecube controller. I find some wii games to be just awful and less fun without one.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-11-13, 11:54 AM
SSBB, especially with the Wii control. Pure awesome, even if you don't like fighting games.

Force Unleashed is really good, too, I like the incorporation of the Wiimote and such. The Wiimote is your saber, and the nunchuck is your Force control.

If you can rent it, try out Spiderman: Web of Shadows. It's a good game to play through, although it seems the combat gets a little repetitive. But it personally looks quite fun.

Volug
2008-11-13, 12:01 PM
Best Wii Games?

Definition: Okami

See also: Who cares? The best game ever made is already out.

Fix'd:smallbiggrin:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-13, 12:26 PM
SBCG4AP from telltale is quite good if you like that sort of thing.

Joran
2008-11-13, 02:06 PM
the wii mote is absolutely ignorant of alot of actions, adn the technology behind it is entirely a rip off of another companies tech, and the old Powerglove.

Wii Motion Plus is coming soon. Hopefully that'll fix a lot of the problems.

How about Mario Kart?

Mando Knight
2008-11-13, 02:11 PM
I haven't tried Web of Shadows yet, but I'd definitely like to play it...

Also: If you get any SNES Virtual Console games, the Classic Controller is a must, given its button layout is nearly identical to the SNES's.

Get Super 'troid, Mario RPG, and Link to the Past at least, unless you've got fairly reliable copies for the actual SNES. C'mon, give me some VC Mega Man X already, Capcom!

ninja_penguin
2008-11-13, 02:21 PM
I'd like to add in Metroid Prime 3 as sexy awesome. I really like PC shooters with mouse aiming, and Prime 3 is up there with it, and it feels pretty fun to do. Try renting Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I'm not a fan of a lot of fighting games, but this is wacky fun.

Zak and Wiki for fun puzzle games, although the last level is hair-tearingly frustrating.

Endless Ocean for anybody who is a biology or a diving fan. The 'fun' factor is in the amazing detail and the atmosphere of the game, and the fact that you can poke a shark in the eye without getting eaten.

Try renting Boom Blox, I feel it's hit or miss, but best with several people, a good party game.

Mario Kart Wii, unless that falls under a sports game to you.

FMArthur
2008-11-13, 03:08 PM
Haven't seen this mentioned... If you didn't get it for another system, or seriously loved it a lot anyway, buy Resident Evil 4 on Wii. It has all of the PS2 extras that the GC version didn't get, as well as far superior Wii-mote aiming that makes a huge difference. I'm not the biggest RE4 fan; I think it's a mite too easy and not as scary as I'd like, but I bought it for the Wii even after owning the GC version and I do not regret my purchase.

*sorts through game library*

Smash Bros (GC or Classic controller strongly recommended)
Metroid Prime Corruption, a beautiful shooter with puzzle and exploration elements
Zelda... Twilight Princess and Wind Waker(GCN). I know you're looking for Wii games, but Wind Waker is so excellent and its cel-shaded style makes sure it never looks dated
SSX Blur. I never liked/cared about a snowboarding game enough to buy it before this one. But this is just really fun, and it's a shame to miss it.
Blazing Angels got surprisingly poor reviews, but there's nothing wrong with it. I think the main problem was that it defaults to Arcade control settings, where tilting left just automatically does everything for you to turn that way. On Simulation control settings, it's one of the most fun flight games I've ever played. It accurately reads the tilt of your Wiimote and your plane responds perfectly to it (none of this 'vague gesture' crap I keep seeing in games) and can be really intense action sometimes. Multiplayer is especially fun.

Zocelot
2008-11-13, 05:11 PM
Super Mario Galaxy will really show you what Nintendo meant to do with the system.About every 2 minutes, you'll see something that you wouldn't think of if you had a year.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is the worst American Fire Emblem. Still, it's better then not playing Fire Emblem at all.

Geno9999
2008-11-13, 10:34 PM
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is the worst American Fire Emblem. Still, it's better then not playing Fire Emblem at all.

I can't help help it but I like FE10. Granted, Ike's group is over powered compared to other groups and they ruined the support conversations but, help me please, it was my first FE. Then again, you didn't mention the worse Jap FE.
/end angryrant /end

Top Five off of the top of my head;
1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
3. Fire Emblem 10 (Radiant Dawn)
4. Super Metroid (VC)
5. Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-13, 10:47 PM
One thing that's always irked me about the Wii, and Nintendo consoles in general is that they don't seem to give western-style RPGs much thought, if any at all.:smallannoyed:

Mando Knight
2008-11-13, 10:50 PM
One thing that's always irked me about the Wii, and Nintendo consoles in general is that they don't seem to give western-style RPGs much thought, if any at all.:smallannoyed:

Or perhaps the other way around? The Wii might indeed soon get western-style RPGs, if it continues to be popular. I think that it might be the developers that don't submit such games to Nintendo, not that Nintendo rejects them...

Haruki-kun
2008-11-13, 11:43 PM
Super Mario Galaxy is incredible. It reminds me why I keep getting Mario games even after all this time.

The Music is great (REALLY great), the game play is fun and creative, and they really outdid themselves taking 3D to a whole new level. Sure, the boss fights aren't really the best, but pretty much everything else in the game was amazing.

doliest
2008-11-13, 11:57 PM

Although not an rpg and I don't even think it's western, No More Heroes is more western than most western games considering it's main character:smallamused: speaking of which I'd suggest No More Heroes for being awesome....also just to the guy who said Okami is the best game ever....no....just no.

Icewalker
2008-11-14, 12:11 AM

Agreed, at least to the extent of my knowledge. I loved the GBA Fire Emblems, then got Path of Radiance and it sucked so much I never got the sequel. I believe Radiant Dawn is quite similar.

Metroid Prime 3 is fantastic.
Super Mario Galaxy is lots of fun.
SSBB is awesome, but really a party game.
I didn't like Twilight Princess too much myself, but it is pretty cool.

Force Unleashed seems pretty awesome. I'm going to get it on the PS3 myself, as I've heard some bad things about the Wiimote controls for it.

Mando Knight
2008-11-14, 12:48 AM
Agreed, at least to the extent of my knowledge. I loved the GBA Fire Emblems, then got Path of Radiance and it sucked so much I never got the sequel. I believe Radiant Dawn is quite similar.

:smallannoyed: The GBA ones are the ones least like the original Fire Emblem games. And none of them have Lord Ike, or Badass Narcoleptic Haar.

Raistlin1040
2008-11-14, 12:55 AM
A Wii huh? Well, at least it's better than a PS3.

I'd suggest SSBB, of course, as well as Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-14, 09:26 AM
Haven't seen this mentioned... If you didn't get it for another system, or seriously loved it a lot anyway, buy Resident Evil 4 on Wii. It has all of the PS2 extras that the GC version didn't get, as well as far superior Wii-mote aiming that makes a huge difference. I'm not the biggest RE4 fan; I think it's a mite too easy and not as scary as I'd like, but I bought it for the Wii even after owning the GC version and I do not regret my purchase.

Seconded.

Also, my other good games:
SSBB
Metroid 3
Zelda TTP
Guitar Hero 3/4

I personally like Manhunt 2 loads, but then I also like /b/, so it's probably not a good idea for the sane.

Ponce
2008-11-14, 12:43 PM
Mario Kart looked like a lot of fun. I think you can play online with up to 16 players.

Querzis
2008-11-14, 04:44 PM

...I played all the Fire emblem (I had to play some in japanese too). Radiant Dawn is the best by far.

Anyway I liked all the wii games I played until now: No more heroes
DBZ budokai tenkaichi 2
Twilight princess
Metroid prime 3
Super smash brother brawl
Resident evil the umbrella chronicles
Okami
Smackdown vs raw 2009 (2008 was really bad)
Lego star wars
Radiant dawn

And by the way, I found out that when people are complaining about the Wii remote, 99% of the times its just because the censor bar is behind the TV which means the TV is blocking the Wii remote signals. Seriously, just get the censor bar on your TV closer to you and I'm sure it will be a lot better.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-11-14, 06:14 PM
hmm, these ones that i have snipped above are about it.... even then they arent very good, and thats not just my fanboy talking... the wii mote is absolutely ignorant of alot of actions, adn the technology behind it is entirely a rip off of another companies tech, and the old Powerglove.

See, I've had a Wii since launch and can say with no doubt that the Wii Remote works perfectly fine for me. All I did was bump up the sensitivity in the Wii Options a bit, and I have had no issue with any of the actions, and I play some very Wiimote heavy games.

Also, regarding good Wii games?

A lot of the aforementioned ones are good, but they neglect what are probably the most enjoyable party games available on the Wii...

And those games are the Rayman's Raving Rabbids series- some of the most absurd, yet enjoyable, party games available and they make great use of all the Wii remote's faculties. One of my favourites, from #2, is you hold the Wii Remote like a phone up to your ear in a darkened theater for as long as possible until the usher turns the lights on. If you don't put it down before the lights come on, he drops a safe/10t weight/fridge/ect on you, thus costing you precious seconds (and points!) when the lights go back off. The newest one, TV Party, third in the Raving Rabbids series, even makes use of the Wii Fit Board. An example is you go sledding down a hill... on a yak... which is on it's back... and you hold it's front legs to steer...

I got ninja'd on the rest while typing this post....

OracleofWuffing
2008-11-14, 06:24 PM
Samba de Amigo came out for the Wii not too long ago. It's an awesome Maraca-based Rhythm Game, it'd make a good group game but due to the way it works, you can only play two at a time.

Since you like puzzle games, you might want to check out the Dr. Mario WiiWare title.

Also, no Wii is complete without Bubble Bobble. Even though it's a NES port and not an Arcade port.

C'mon, give me some VC Mega Man X already, Capcom!
I think the Mega Man X Collection for the GameCube- which plays perfectly fine on the Wii provided you have an appropriate controller- would get you more bang for your buck than buying the titles separately.

ivendale
2008-12-04, 10:36 AM
with the holidays coming up i've been pondering how best to wile away the many hours of vacation. i have a wii but a lack of good games , could you folks give me some suggestions.

ivendale
2008-12-04, 08:18 PM
with the holidays coming up i've been pondering how best to wile away the many hours of vacation. i have a wii but a lack of good games , could you folks give me some suggestions.

Geno9999
2008-12-04, 09:13 PM
*points at the other pages.*
start reading.

HyperInferno
2008-12-05, 12:00 PM
Wait Wii has games??

Jk, anyhoo, my list is the following:
Twilight Princess (not as good as ocarina or master quest for those that played it, but still lots of fun, the combat in this one is probably the best of the zelda series, just don't get me started on the nunchuks crappy sensors and the fact that the shield bash never works right)
Metroid prime 3 (suprisingly well done, the shooting controls are actually rather fluid, although the grapple beam is a pain at times, but thats just cuz the nunchuk sucks)
Brawl! (nuff said)
Okami (nuff said)