PDA

View Full Version : Protector [rogue/druid hybrid]

Baron Corm
2008-11-11, 12:48 PM
Yeah, so the idea came into my head, and here it is. The names "protector", "protector's attack", and "protector's protection" could all stand to be changed but I can't think of anything right now.

Basically the class is a defender of the natural order that uses knowledge and tactics to defeat nature's enemies. Not much fluff available because my ideas were pretty much mechanical. Maybe later. But mechanically, I think it's cool, because first of all it adds stealth capabilities to the shapeshifting druid, second of all it gives the shapeshifting druid something to do with his spell slots while shifted (that part might be implemented as a feat chain), and third of all it's like an opposite rogue, because he can only deal nonlethal to all creatures EXCEPT the ones he couldn't normally deal sneak attack damage to. I think that's a more fair, interesting, and makingsense trade-off than the crystals or whatever that just let you do full or half sneak attack damage.

Protector

Requirements

Spellcasting: Must be able to spontaneously cast summon nature's ally II
Sneak Attack: +2d6
Skills: Knowledge (nature) +3, Knowledge (local) +3
Alignment: Any neutral
Special: Must have the Shapeshift class feature

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Protector's attack, sneak attack +1d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Spy form|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Sneak attack +2d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Protector's protection|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sneak attack +3d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Feral prestidigitator form|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Sneak attack +4d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
8th|+6|+2|+6|+6|Improved protector's protection|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
9th|+6|+3|+6|+6|Sneak attack +5d6|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
10th|+7|+3|+7|+7|Solitary swarm form|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class[/table]

Hit Die: d6
Class Skills: Any rogue or druid
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

A protector does not gain any proficiencies.

Protector's Attack (Ex)

1d6 of the protector's sneak attack die per class level is dealt as nonlethal damage. In addition, 1d6 of his sneak attack die per class level deals full damage to undead, constructs, plants, aberrations, elementals, animals, magical beasts, and vermin, even if the creature is immune to critical hits, sneak attacks, or nonlethal damage.

Sneak Attack (Ex)

A protector's sneak attack damage increases by +1d6 at each odd level.

Spellcasting

A protector's spellcasting in a single divine caster class advances at each level.

Spy Form (Su)

At level 2, the protector adds another form to his shapeshifting repetoire. He can shapeshift into a small and stealthy form, such as a snake or rat. While in spy form, you gain a primary bite attack that deals 1d4 damage, and your sneak attack damage increases by +1d6. Your size decreases by one category (to a minimum of Fine), and you have the reach of a long creature of your size. You gain a +8 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, a +6 enhancement bonus on all trained skill checks, and your natural armor bonus increases by +1. Your base land speed changes to 20 feet, and you gain climb and swim speeds of 20 feet. You may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on Climb and Swim checks.

Protector's Protection (Su)

At level 4, by expending a spell slot as a swift action, you may grant yourself and all allies within 30 feet a bonus equal to the spell's spell level on AC and saving throws against undead, constructs, and aberrations. The bonuses last for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom bonus. This ability may be used while shapeshifted.

Feral Prestidigitator Form (Su)

At level 6, the protector adds another form to his shapeshifting repertoire. He can take the form of any small and handy critter, such as a monkey or squirrel. While in feral prestidigitator form, you gain a primary slam attack that deals 1d2 damage, and your sneak attack damage increases by +2d6. Your size decreases by one category (to a minimum of Fine), and you have the reach of a tall creature of your size. You gain a +12 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, a +12 enhancement bonus on all trained skill checks, and your natural armor bonus increases by +2. In addition, you may take 10 on any skill check regardless of circumstances, and do not automatically fail a skill check on a roll of 1. Your base land speed changes to 20 feet, and you gain a climb speed of 20 feet. You may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on Climb checks.

Improved Protector's Protection (Su)

At level 8, the bonuses granted from Protector's Protection may also be applied to attack rolls and ability DCs, but the duration of the bonuses will be halved.

Solitary Swarm Form (Su)

At level 10, the protector adds another form to his shapeshifting repertoire. He can take the form of a tiny, yet dangerous insect, such as a scorpion or spider. While in solitary swarm form, you gain two primary sting attacks that deal 1d3 damage each, and your sneak attack damage increases by +3d6. Your size decreases by two categories (to a minimum of Fine), and you have the reach of a long creature of your size. You gain a +16 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, a +8 enhancement bonus on all trained skill checks, and your natural armor bonus increases by +3. You also gain immunity to mind-affecting spells and the Hide in Plain Sight and Spider Climb abilities while in solitary swarm form. Your base land speed changes to 20 feet.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex)

Usable anywhere. Usable in solitary swarm form.

Spider Climb (Ex)

As the spell. Usable in solitary swarm form.

el_goro
2008-11-11, 01:52 PM
An interesting prestige class, combining two classes I've seldom (if ever) seen put together. One thing I question from a fluff perspective is the inclusion of animals, plants, and magical beasts to the list of creatures that the protector can deal lethal damage to with a sneak attack. Mechanically it's interesting, but it doesn't seem to be keeping too much with the "defender of the natural order" theme you described. I’d be interested to find out if you have a way to justify their inclusion within the concept of the prestige class?

Anyway, minor conceptional quibbles aside, this class does present some very interesting ideas, particularly the Solitary Swarm Form ability. Off topic thought though: do you know of any way druids can wild shape into actual swarms of animals or vermin?

DracoDei
2008-11-11, 03:04 PM
Feral Prestidigitator Form (Su)

At level 6, the protector adds another form to his shapeshifting repertoire. He can take the form of any small and handy critter, such as a monkey or squirrel. While in feral prestidigitator form, you gain a primary slam attack that deals 1d2 damage, and your sneak attack damage increases by +2d6. Your size decreases by one category (to a minimum of Fine), and you have the reach of a tall creature of your size. You gain a +12 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, a +12 enhancement bonus on all trained skill checks, and your natural armor bonus increases by +2. In addition, you may take 10 on any skill check regardless of circumstances, and cannot fail a skill check on a roll of 1. Your base land speed changes to 20 feet, and you gain a climb speed of 20 feet. You may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on Climb checks.

Needs editing on two accounts that I can see...
First off the skill bonuses should only apply to skills that involve movement of fine manipulation. +12 bonus to knowledge(Dungeoneering) because you turned into a squirrel? What? Disable Device and Open Lock I can see... This problem is repeated later in the "Solitary Swarm Form".

Secondly, it should be "You do not automatically fail a skill check on a roll of 1", as written this turns 1's into automatic successes which doesn't seem like what you were trying for at all...

Baron Corm
2008-11-11, 05:12 PM
An interesting prestige class, combining two classes I've seldom (if ever) seen put together. One thing I question from a fluff perspective is the inclusion of animals, plants, and magical beasts to the list of creatures that the protector can deal lethal damage to with a sneak attack. Mechanically it's interesting, but it doesn't seem to be keeping too much with the "defender of the natural order" theme you described. I’d be interested to find out if you have a way to justify their inclusion within the concept of the prestige class?

I just figured that they would know the weaknesses of their enemies, as well as the weaknesses of their friends. If a rogue animal gets out of line, they're still the one to call. It's similar in concept I guess to the druid's Resist Nature's Lure ability.

Anyway, minor conceptional quibbles aside, this class does present some very interesting ideas, particularly the Solitary Swarm Form ability. Off topic thought though: do you know of any way druids can wild shape into actual swarms of animals or vermin?

I know warlocks can if that helps... it's a Dark invocation though and you lose most of your other abilities while you're shifted. I'm sure there's some sort of vermin alternate class feature for druids somewhere though... with vermin empathy, a vermin companion, and vermin wild shape. Don't remember where I saw it though. If the wording is ambiguous enough you could use that to turn into a swarm. But personally, as a DM, I don't think I'd allow it. Swarms get immunities to stuff that players shouldn't really have at low levels, when you would have access to many swarms. However, there is a template for undead in (I think) Libris Mortis that lets you turn into swarms, not sure if it's applicable to living creatures as well.

Needs editing on two accounts that I can see...
First off the skill bonuses should only apply to skills that involve movement of fine manipulation. +12 bonus to knowledge(Dungeoneering) because you turned into a squirrel? What? Disable Device and Open Lock I can see... This problem is repeated later in the "Solitary Swarm Form".

Secondly, it should be "You do not automatically fail a skill check on a roll of 1", as written this turns 1's into automatic successes which doesn't seem like what you were trying for at all...

The second one was changed of course but for the first thing: Shapeshift is not a literal change into the given animal. That is why it just gives bonuses (and cosmetic changes). It gives you bonuses based on what that group of animals represents. That is why changing into an earth elemental grants a bonus to Reflex saves; it doesn't really matter what you actually shift into, it's all part of the magic of the ability. So I think I'm going to keep it. If I changed it to Dexterity-based skills only, that would sort of overlap with the Dexterity bonus anyway.

el_goro
2008-11-11, 05:35 PM
I know warlocks can if that helps... it's a Dark invocation though and you lose most of your other abilities while you're shifted. I'm sure there's some sort of vermin alternate class feature for druids somewhere though... with vermin empathy, a vermin companion, and vermin wild shape. Don't remember where I saw it though. If the wording is ambiguous enough you could use that to turn into a swarm. But personally, as a DM, I don't think I'd allow it. Swarms get immunities to stuff that players shouldn't really have at low levels, when you would have access to many swarms. However, there is a template for undead in (I think) Libris Mortis that lets you turn into swarms, not sure if it's applicable to living creatures as well.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the Swarm-Shifter template. Once had a hopping vampire in an Oriental Adventures campaign that could transform into a swarm of undead centipedes. Good times.