PDA

View Full Version : A Sobering Read:

Vagnarok
2008-11-11, 12:52 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/11/11/acevedo.pow/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
This was quite the article. I hope you guys get something out of it.

Discuss if you wish.

reorith
2008-11-11, 08:06 PM
didn't work. still drunk.

Kjata
2008-11-12, 01:20 AM
didn't work. still drunk.

LOL

That was an interesting (and sad) article. It really was 'sobering' as you put it, the buzz of life is gone.

_Zoot_
2008-11-14, 09:01 AM
That really is a sad story, its hard to think that people can servive so much and then still talk about it at the end.

black_Lizzard
2008-11-14, 10:44 AM
I've read similar things on the French Revolution... using human skin to cover books, make aprons and other things as a substitute for leather. And killing techniques that made me want to vomit though unfortunately i couldn't:

catching babies on bayonets was one of the least repulsive, and i refuse to write the worst

Makes the idea of Bastille (sp?) Day nauseous to me.

charl
2008-11-14, 11:09 AM
Meh. I've read worse.

Cubey
2008-11-14, 11:46 AM
Doesn't "sober" me at all. As a Pole, I live where the worst of Nazi attrocities were committed, and it is common knowledge for almost everyone from my country. Yet, it does not depress me - if anything, it motivates me further to make the world a better place, both for others and for myself (I'm a part of the world too, you know) to balance out the sorrow and suffering of the past with joy of today.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-14, 12:16 PM
I shall avoid bringing real world politics into it and simply say that this story was quiet far too long.

Kantur
2008-11-14, 12:27 PM
Doesn't "sober" me at all. As a Pole, I live where the worst of Nazi attrocities were committed, and it is common knowledge for almost everyone from my country. Yet, it does not depress me - if anything, it motivates me further to make the world a better place, both for others and for myself (I'm a part of the world too, you know) to balance out the sorrow and suffering of the past with joy of today.

I'd have to say this is pretty much how I feel. Ok, I'm not Polish and don't live near where these things happened, but reading stories like that take me right back to when I visited Auschwitz. All I'll say for now unless people want me to type up more later is this: Even after so many years, the atmosphere there is powerful and you can feel it almost straight away as you approach the gates.

Vagnarok
2008-11-14, 03:03 PM

Your logic seems a little off to me.
I'm all for being motivated to make the world a better place, but are you so hardened to sadness and violence that you are unable to empathize with the pain felt by those that lived through the holocaust? I am extremely skeptical that you have any sort of life experience that even remotely compares to what they went through.

Cubey
2008-11-14, 03:51 PM
Empathise, yes. But brood about, be depressed or saddened, no. That wouldn't do any good at all.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-14, 11:19 PM
Atrocities? Don't get me started on the Indian Mutiny--both sides, no less!

Vagnarok
2008-11-15, 01:54 AM
Atrocities? Don't get me started on the Indian Mutiny--both sides, no less!

Please educate this ignorant soul.

bosssmiley
2008-11-15, 07:50 AM
Please educate this ignorant soul.

The bad old days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Rebellion_of_1857). Neither side comes away with credit. :smallannoyed: