PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Paladin spellcasting Prc

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-11, 09:21 PM
Are there any official PRC's that can grant paladins higher spell casting levels. I kinda need 7th level spells.

Saint Nil
2008-11-11, 09:27 PM
Well, what you can do is be a cleric, and take the presitige paladin class from Unearthed Arcana.

monty
2008-11-11, 09:32 PM
Or just be a Lawful Good cleric and call yourself a paladin, if you're going to do that...

Charlie Kemek
2008-11-11, 10:22 PM
there's a class in CD that does this I think. kind of like the ur priest

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-11, 10:33 PM
Complete Divine has the Divine Crusader, though it only gets spells from one domain unless you take levels in other PrCs that grant additional domains.

Something like Cleric 4/ Figher 1/ Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm) 5/ Contemplative 10 would get 9th level spells by 20.

Just making a LG Cleric with the War domain and calling it a Paladin is probably your best option.

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-11, 11:27 PM
Divine Crusader spells don't stack with paladin spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-12, 12:05 AM
Divine Crusader spells don't stack with paladin spells.
Nothing stacks with Paladin spells, you can never get anything higher than 4th level spells with the Paladin spellcasting progression. You'll need to get spellcasting from another class to get what you want.

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-12, 12:09 AM
I'll explain myself I seem to remember there being a way to get higher level spells for bards and I'm just looking for something like that for a Paladin.

afroakuma
2008-11-12, 12:10 AM
I don't understand. Do you mean higher level spell slots, so that you can use metamagic? Or actual higher level spells?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-12, 12:10 AM
I'll explain myself I seem to remember there being a way to get higher level spells for bards and I'm just looking for something like that for a Paladin.You could turn Sublime Chord into a Divine version(it would have to be homebrew, meaning you need DM ok). That or Ur-Priest is your only option.

monty
2008-11-12, 12:45 AM
Sublime Chord doesn't actually improve Bard casting. It's an entirely separate casting progression that starts at 4th level. You could just as easily get it with Bard 1 / Wizard 9 or any other combination that gets bardic music and 3rd level spells.

Kris Strife
2008-11-12, 01:11 AM
I'll explain myself I seem to remember there being a way to get higher level spells for bards and I'm just looking for something like that for a Paladin.

Lemme guess, Pheonix Fire from BoED right?
Best spell for a paladin ever.

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-12, 03:50 AM
Lemme guess, Pheonix Fire from BoED right?
Best spell for a paladin ever.

Nope, just trying to qualify for Hierophant.

Kris Strife
2008-11-12, 03:55 AM

Why not just go cleric or something? It doesn't seem like youre worried about multiclassing restrictions.

Weiser_Cain
2008-11-12, 04:24 AM
I'm funny that way I guess. Cleric takes me further from the character concept.

paddyfool
2008-11-12, 05:33 AM
Might Favoured Soul fit the character concept better?

Saint Nil
2008-11-12, 09:01 AM
Paladins can't become Hierophants, the high spell level was made like that so only Clerics and druids can achieve it.

Darrin
2008-11-12, 10:51 AM

Paladin 7/Divine Crusader 7 would get you there at ECL 14. That's probably the easiest way to get into Hierophant.

Paladin variant 4/Something Else 1/Ur Priest 7 could get there earlier at ECL 12. Somethign Else needs a good will save, such as Duskblade or Knight. Anti-Paladin, Corruptor, Despot (Dragon #312), Enforcer (Dragon #320), Paladin of Tyranny, or Paladin of Slaughter (Unearthed Arcana) could work if you need something evil.

There is a third way: Paladin 6/Chameleon 3 and then either a level in Bard (w/ Devoted Performer feat, CAdv), Virtuoso (CAdv), or Warrior Skald (Races of Faerun) lets you qualify for Sublime Chord. 5 levels of that, and you have 7th level spells at ECL 15.

Rad
2008-11-12, 11:42 AM
That doesn't still work because Sublime Chord spellcasting is arcane, not divine, so it doesn't qualify you for Hierophant.
Divine crusader is probably your best bet, along with levels in something that gives you extra domains (such as seeker of the misty isle or contemplative. ).
Why do you want Hierophant in the first place?

Darrin
2008-11-12, 12:56 PM
That doesn't still work because Sublime Chord spellcasting is arcane, not divine, so it doesn't qualify you for Hierophant.

Sorry, missed that. Take Alternative Source Spell (from Dragon #325) to prepare your arcane spells as divine spells. You may also need the Arcane Preparation feat (CompArc).

But that won't work either... I forgot that spells gained from the Chameleon's Aptitude Focus can't be used to qualify for a prestige class such as Sublime Chord.

Paladin 4/Wizard 5/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 5 would work. You could also use Earth Sense, Earth Spell, and Heighten Spell to bump your 2nd level spells up to 3rd to qualify for Sublime Chord. That would let you do something like Duskblade 1/Paladin 8/Virtuoso 1, but that's a heckuva lot of feats and I'm not sure there are enough skill points in the build to pull that off.

afroakuma
2008-11-12, 01:59 PM
Something tells me that that much barditude would skew even further from his concept.

Incidentally, I think he's out of luck no matter what, as a paladin simply doesn't have access to level 7 spells, since their spells inherently have 4 levels. The ability to cast level 7 divine spells by RAW probably refers explicitly to accessing a 7th level naturally divine spell list.