PDA

View Full Version : Belkar and Dexter

Archangel62
2008-11-12, 12:27 AM
The conversation that Belkar had with either the ghost or his own imagination actually made me think of the show Dexter in the context of Harry's code and the lengths he went to to teach Dexter how to mimic normal emotions.

I don't think it was an homage or anything like that, but I do see a sort of parallel in both cases you see a situation where a sociopathic individual is taught to act more like those around them for their own survival.

Warlord JK
2008-11-12, 12:59 AM
What show are we exactly talking about?

FujinAkari
2008-11-12, 01:10 AM
Smart Money's on "Dexter" :P

Its a show on Showtime... astoundingly good as well.

There are similarities, but of course one is Harry trying to help Dexter survive, and even prosper within society, turning his nature into something which will benefit the world around him... while Belkar simply is trying not to get slaughtered.

starwoof
2008-11-12, 01:15 AM

See my guess was "Dexter's Laboratory" because both Dexter on that show and Belkar are about a foot tall with red hair.:smallwink:

Archangel62
2008-11-12, 03:36 PM

Its a show on Showtime... astoundingly good as well.

There are similarities, but of course one is Harry trying to help Dexter survive, and even prosper within society, turning his nature into something which will benefit the world around him... while Belkar simply is trying not to get slaughtered.

True, but I could see Belkar having his 'Shojo's Code' where he only openly murders or kills when the target is obviously within the evil parameter or he can argue it. Think back to the Paladin played as Chaotic Evil but justifying each action in such a way that there was some margin of doubt.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-11-12, 03:49 PM
A Wikedepia link might help fix any confusion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_(TV_series))

Also, I doubt it. Belkar is too choatic for that, no matter how awsome it'd be.

AKA_Bait
2008-11-12, 03:53 PM
A Wikedepia link might help fix any confusion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_(TV_series))

Also, I doubt it. Belkar is too choatic for that, no matter how awsome it'd be.

Yeah. Both are sociopaths who enjoy killing but Belkar is, clearly Chaotic Evil. Dexter is pretty much a rock solid example of Lawful Evil, even more-so in the books than the TV show. Belkar may put up a facade and pretend to have rules to keep himself from getting into too deep trouble but Dexter actually has rules he won't break.

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-12, 03:58 PM
Belkar is much more chaotic than Dexter, Dexter has a code.
Also, let me take this opportunity to say that Harry was the worst father ever.

AKA_Bait
2008-11-12, 04:02 PM
Also, let me take this opportunity to say that Harry was the worst father ever.

I agree. I dunno... therapy before training him to kill people and get away with it maybe?

Koshiro
2008-11-12, 05:35 PM
Yeah. Both are sociopaths who enjoy killing but Belkar is, clearly Chaotic Evil.
Belkar is not a sociopath. He's just an a-hole.

Teatime
2008-11-12, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't call Belkar a sociopath. A sociopath is, by definition, someone completely lacking in emotion. Dexter fits that bill; he has a compulsive -need- to kill people, but any and all actual emotions are completely faked. If I were to wager a guess with Belkar, on the other hand, I'd say he's plenty capable of feeling legitimate emotions, only one thing that brings him great joy is killing people. That doesn't make him a sociopath, that makes him a psychopath. I don't think Belkar needs to kill people so much as he just likes to.

Warlord JK
2008-11-12, 08:35 PM
Never seen this show or read the books, but from what I glean, Belkar and Dexter appear to complete contrasts on the Lawful/Chaotic axis vs. being exactly the same on the Evil part.

JaxGaret
2008-11-13, 02:42 AM
I agree. I dunno... therapy before training him to kill people and get away with it maybe?

Maybe Harry knew his young son better than we did? He spent a lot more time with him than we got to, after all.

RebelRogue
2008-11-13, 03:44 AM
Sort of off topic, but it reminds me of the time I was going to play in an Evil campaign, in which I made a LE, sociopathic Ranger/Cleric character. I had to come up with a name and after going through a few others I decided on Dexter. We were all a bit "Hmm... Dexter? That seems unfitting for an Evil, sociopathic killer!" And along comes the series... Pretty weird (I've never seen the series. I'd never heard of the books that it's appearantly based on either)!

Archangel62
2008-11-13, 10:49 AM
Sort of off topic, but it reminds me of the time I was going to play in an Evil campaign, in which I made a LE, sociopathic Ranger/Cleric character. I had to come up with a name and after going through a few others I decided on Dexter. We were all a bit "Hmm... Dexter? That seems unfitting for an Evil, sociopathic killer!" And along comes the series... Pretty weird (I've never seen the series. I'd never heard of the books that it's appearantly based on either)!

If you read the books the cleric part is actually even more fitting ironically because there were references to an ancient God who apparently guides Dexter as 'The Dark Passenger' if memory serves.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-11-16, 05:30 PM
See my guess was "Dexter's Laboratory" because both Dexter on that show and Belkar are about a foot tall with red hair.:smallwink:

That's what I was thinking when I read the title.