PDA

View Full Version : so anyone else torture themself like this?

Crispy Dave
2008-11-12, 01:22 AM
so I have no idea why but ive been torturing myself lately.

Friday: I drank 6 liters of diet pepsi max
Saturday:8 bags of pop rocks in one mouthful
today:lisened to banana phone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C6X9vOEkU) 139 times in a row and still growing.

thubby
2008-11-12, 02:13 AM
the word you're looking for is torture, and no.

ghost_warlock
2008-11-12, 02:18 AM
Hm. Self-torture. Well, that's something I only engage in every so often; usually only when I'm on a 'low' cycle. And usually my torture is more mental than physical, plucking at nostalgia and daydreaming about how things could've gone...

I like Pepsi, pop rocks are okay, but I don't think there's a force on Earth that compel me to willingly listen to that song once through, let alone almost 140 times. :smalleek:

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-11-12, 02:32 AM
the word you're looking for is torture, and no.

His name is crispy dave, so me probably has been torching himself a bit :smalltongue:

AngelSword
2008-11-12, 03:14 AM
Well, I do torture myself, but not in such a fashion.

Alleine
2008-11-12, 03:20 AM
Drinking diet anything is indeed a torture. But I usually don't, because I prefer to drink things that taste good.

Self inflicter torture? Used to, then boredom set in. Nothing in my life has been able to stand up to boredom for very long. Things like pain, sadness, torture, etc. all get so repetitive, and I'm not creative enough to come up with new things.

ghost_warlock
2008-11-12, 03:21 AM
Drinking diet anything is indeed a torture. But I usually don't, because I prefer to drink things that taste good.

"Diet" stuff is double torture for my girlfriend. The artificial sugar-substitutes in that stuff give her migraines. :smallfrown:

Alleine
2008-11-12, 03:27 AM
"Diet" stuff is double torture for my girlfriend. The artificial sugar-substitutes in that stuff give her migraines. :smallfrown:

Exactly, I've frequently heard people say that diet sodas are worse for you than regular ones because of the crap they put in it.

Also, I'm the last person that needs to go on a diet. I need my fats and calories!

ghost_warlock
2008-11-12, 03:34 AM
Exactly, I've frequently heard people say that diet sodas are worse for you than regular ones because of the crap they put in it.

Also, I'm the last person that needs to go on a diet. I need my fats and calories!

Well, honestly, pretty much any kind of soda is bad for you. The non-diet ones usually have so much sugar in them they'll eventually give you diabetes and all the acid in them will literally dissolve your teeth.

The sugar-substitutes in diet sodas have the problem that your body doesn't really know what to do with them. They've been engineered to trick your tongue into thinking they're sweet but are virtually indigestible and can't be processed into useable energy by your body (thus, zero-to-no calories). Note that this is 100% intentional as there's not much point in a diet drink/food that can be processed by your body into something it can store as fat. MMMmmm chemical fiber...

Don Julio Anejo
2008-11-12, 04:00 AM
No, I don't torture myself like THAT. I cut myself. Seriously. Then I cry myself to sleep over a bottle of regular Coke.

PS: it's quite normal drinking that much on a Friday. Of course usually it's beer :biggrin:

Vizen
2008-11-12, 04:59 AM
Does randomly decided that you feel like ice cream, so you go and buy a 2 litre tub of it, and eating it all in one day (outside, in the middle of winter early in the morning) count?

dish
2008-11-12, 05:57 AM
I torture myself by lying awake at 3am worrying about things. Things that my worry will in no way effect.

reorith
2008-11-12, 11:57 AM
i sit at the end of my ex-gf's driveway and chain smoke on saturday nights. part torture, part pilgrimage.

SDF
2008-11-12, 12:24 PM

People say a lot of things though. One bad thing all sodas have is phosphorus, which prevents bones from absorbing calcium. The ridiculous amount of corn syrup a can of soda has will suppress your immune system and leads to heart problems, obesity, and a myriad of other things. Diet soda has aspartame which breaks down into formaldehyde, and can cause headaches in certain people. The cancer part is pretty much crap, but diet soda does increase your risk of metabolic syndrome. Generally I avoid all forms of soda, because none are really better for you than others.

Torture myself? Well, I did have a 90s music party the other night :P

PhoeKun
2008-11-12, 12:36 PM
Reading this thread, I feel a certain sense of sympathy for smokers who get told their habit is an unhealthy one.

Yes yes, soda is bad for you, blah blah yadda yadda yadda. I don't want to hear it. Damn modern medicine. Do I come around trying to ruin your enjoyment of bad books? I do not. So how's about you drop the studies, and let me have my carbonated sugar water, huh?

someonenonotyou
2008-11-12, 12:42 PM
yeah sometime but in diffent way i dont know way though

Jack Squat
2008-11-12, 12:45 PM
Well, honestly, pretty much any kind of soda is bad for you. The non-diet ones usually have so much sugar in them they'll eventually give you diabetes and all the acid in them will literally dissolve your teeth.

False. You can get diabetes from it, but the average person doesn't drink near enough to cause it. The acid in pop won't dissolve teeth, but it can begin to dissolve the enamel if you let it sit, making you more prone to cavities. To prevent this from happening, all you really need to do is drink a little water after your pop to rinse out your mouth.

ghost_warlock
2008-11-12, 01:25 PM
False. You can get diabetes from it, but the average person doesn't drink near enough to cause it. The acid in pop won't dissolve teeth, but it can begin to dissolve the enamel if you let it sit, making you more prone to cavities. To prevent this from happening, all you really need to do is drink a little water after your pop to rinse out your mouth.

Question is, how many people actually do rinse their mouth out after they drink the soda? I've never known anyone to do it, personally. Maybe that's sampling bias, though. And saying it won't dissolve the tooth is kind of a mute point if the enamel is being eaten away, isn't it? :smallconfused:

As for the diabetes thing, that was partially hyperbole. Still, don't forget to take into accout the cumulative effect of the soda + the Twinkies + the Hershey bar + all the other stuff we put in our bodies on a regular basis and think it's normal. People get all bent out of shape over preservatives, but how often do we stop to consider the possible effects of the 'normal' stuff we ingest regularly?

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to eat/what not to eat. I was just saying, 'this is what we do, these are some possible results.'

Anyway, I wasn't really meaning to go all PSA on anyone. :smallsigh: I drink/eat this crap, too. I suck down a 24-ounce Pepsi pretty much every night at work because I like the taste and I want the caffeine. I used to drink more but I've cut down from my last night job.

Vuzzmop
2008-11-12, 01:43 PM
[evil voice]No, just other people[/evil voice].

Crispy Dave
2008-11-12, 01:49 PM
ok the reason I drink diet is because im pre diabetes and it is better then regular pop.

hamishspence
2008-11-12, 01:52 PM
one of my favourite types of boiled sweet has annoying tendency to form razor-sharp tongue-cutting edges when sucked. I like them, but try to be careful when having them.

Atomsized
2008-11-12, 04:00 PM
today:lisened to banana phone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C6X9vOEkU) 139 times in a row and still growing.

As far as i know, i've listened to Banana Phone a numerous amount of times and i still feel happy.

Actually, that's a good idea, i'm going to listen to it right now. :smallsmile:

Crispy Dave
2008-11-12, 04:03 PM
As far as i know, i've listened to Banana Phone a numerous amount of times and i still feel happy.

Actually, that's a good idea, i'm going to listen to it right now. :smallsmile:

I know it by heart it hurts my head all I can think is ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring banana phone.

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-12, 04:06 PM
I drink diet soda not because it has zero calories but because the normal stuff is so syrupy-tasting. The fewer calories thing just keeps my mom off my back more than anything.

Jack Squat
2008-11-12, 07:16 PM
Question is, how many people actually do rinse their mouth out after they drink the soda? I've never known anyone to do it, personally. Maybe that's sampling bias, though. And saying it won't dissolve the tooth is kind of a mute point if the enamel is being eaten away, isn't it? :smallconfused:

Well, I do, and always have after I drink pop...I just always felt like having water after words...don't know why. When you drink something acidic/sweet, you also produce more saliva, which helps wash it away. Brushing your teeth every morning/night help restore enamel (admittedly, I don't brush at night).

Nothing's really going to happen so long as you're not drinking pop like it's your oxygen.

for the diabetes thing, that was partially hyperbole. Still, don't forget to take into accout the cumulative effect of the soda + the Twinkies + the Hershey bar + all the other stuff we put in our bodies on a regular basis and think it's normal. People get all bent out of shape over preservatives, but how often do we stop to consider the possible effects of the 'normal' stuff we ingest regularly?

I take it into account...at least for me. I don't really like processed snacks (Hostess, Little Debbie, Tasty Cakes,...) all that much, and also eat somewhat healthy meals. Everything's fine in moderation, but yes, people do get diabetes from eating all this stuff...significant weight gain normally comes first, so it's not like there's no warning.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to eat/what not to eat. I was just saying, 'this is what we do, these are some possible results.'

Anyway, I wasn't really meaning to go all PSA on anyone. :smallsigh: I drink/eat this crap, too. I suck down a 24-ounce Pepsi pretty much every night at work because I like the taste and I want the caffeine. I used to drink more but I've cut down from my last night job.

I just felt like I had to point out the inconsistencies...I don't disagree that a massively high sugar diet (also known as a vending machine diet) isn't good for you, nor that pop isn't a particularly healthy drink, but having it in moderation isn't going to do any real harm.

That being said, I don't drink the stuff too much, maybe 3 or 4 cans a week. I tend to like juice and milk better, so only get pop when I'm out and about, and I can't stand the taste of diet drinks...never cared for aspartame/sucralose.

Mr. Moon
2008-11-12, 07:53 PM
ok the reason I drink diet is because im pre diabetes and it is better then regular pop.

Hmmm...

Friday: I drank 6 liters of diet pepsi max
Saturday:8 bags of pop rocks in one mouthful

Huh. Something's wrong with this picture.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-11-12, 08:42 PM
Man, if you're going to listen to an annoying song like that, at least listen to one that's actually cool, like PBJ Time. I mean is there anything sweeter than a dancing banana.

Linkavitch
2008-11-13, 02:11 PM

I know, me too. I eat about twice as much as other people my age, and I'm skinnier than most of them!

(And, no I don't torture myself. I torture my minions sometimes, though.)(:smile:)