PDA

View Full Version : Whats happens if?

koldstare
2008-11-12, 01:57 AM
What would happen if an incantrix persisted the ongoing effect of an enervate? RAW states that the only reason for not requiring a fort save against permanent level loss is because of how long the spell lasts, but if all of the sudden the spell does last 24 hours and should require a fort save or become permanent...right? Or is that wrong? I am away from the books at the moment and was just pondering this. I am sure this has been asked before, but I was just wondering.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-12, 02:01 AM
You can't. Though it seems like it should work, the "Duration:Instantaneous" line means it can't be Extended or Persisted.

koldstare
2008-11-12, 02:06 AM
You can't. Though it seems like it should work, the "Duration:Instantaneous" line means it can't be Extended or Persisted.

It does seem like it should work, but apparently I didn't realize the spell itself was instantaneous. Shouldn't the duration be 1hr/lvl max 15. Because if it was instantaneous it seems to me the levels would be permanent. I mean, does fireballs damage come back later? they just forgot to put it in the description.

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-12, 11:51 AM
Yes, damage taken from a fireball DOES come back naturally, albeit very slowly. So does ability damage.

They didn't "forget" to do anything. The duration of "Instantaneous" is referring to the effect of the spell (the ray of negative energy). Since the intent of the spell is clearly for the negative levels to be temporary, you shouldn't waste your time trying to make them permanent.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-12, 12:26 PM
A negative level is simply a status condition that does not require ongoing magic to sustain. This is, in part, why dispel magic or other similar effects cannot remove them. The effect that actually created the level has come and gone, but the condition remains.

In terms of similar condition duration vs. spell duration, look at the 0-level spell flare. The magic is in the flash of light, which lasts only an instant. But it creates a non-magical condition that lasts much longer.

Contagion and poison are further spells that leave their victim with lasting conditions even though the magic is here and gone in a brief instant.

If none of that helps, you can also look at negative levels as a type of damage. Just like damage to hit points, ability ability damage, ability drain, or nonlethal damage, negative levels are something that are merely inflicted on you, and it doesn't matter what causes it.

koldstare
2008-11-12, 11:07 PM
OK thanks everyone, for some reason I couldn't wrap myself around the concept, got it now. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-13, 08:47 AM
Yer Welcome!

Glad to be of service!