PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ranged ranger trouble

weenie
2008-11-12, 07:59 AM
I was helping a friend of mine build a decent archery focused ranger for a 3.5 core-only game and I can't seem to find a smart way of improving his damage output. So far I've got Rapid Shot and composite longbow with str bonus to dmg. Also we're lvl 4 and the DM let us know that we probably won't get past lvl 6, so weapon enhancements aren't a viable solution. Any ideas? :smalleek:

Saph
2008-11-12, 08:06 AM
(1d8+enhancement bonus+Str mod) x2 really isn't that bad. If you look at the MM, a few rounds of that is enough to seriously hurt most CR 3-4 opponents. Unless you're playing a very high-powered game, I don't think you should worry about it.

There are various ways to boost up the damage (which I can't remember right now, but I'm sure other posters will), but archery fighters pretty much always do less damage than melee ones. What they get in exchange is much less risk (the other guys are the ones getting bitten and clawed) and not having to move to full attack.

- Saph

weenie
2008-11-12, 08:12 AM
Wait, I thought that the bow's enhancement bonus doesn't add to damage. And unfortunately his str bonus is +1, so that won't be able to help much.

Saph
2008-11-12, 08:17 AM
Wait, I thought that the bow's enhancement bonus doesn't add to damage. And unfortunately his str bonus is +1, so that won't be able to help much.

Nope, enhancement bonuses add to attack and damage. And as for the +1, every little helps.

So get a +1 Mighty (+1) Composite Longbow. Cost 2,500 gp (100 weapon, 300 for Masterwork, 100 for the Str bonus, 2000 for the Enhancement bonus.). That's 1d8+2 damage per hit, 1d8+3 if he's within 30 feet and has Point Blank Shot (which he should). Not terrifying, but at low levels that's nothing to sneeze at.

- Saph

Epinephrine
2008-11-12, 08:18 AM
Weapon Crystal of Energy Assault (600 gold adds 1 point of elemental damage; 3,000 gp adds 1 die of elemental damage)
Frost (or other similar) magical enhancement? (+1 bonus, though a +2 weapon is a bit much at 6th level)
Dip a level of something with precision damage?

Cheesegear
2008-11-12, 08:23 AM

It's the bow's enhancement, or the arrow's enhancement. At least, that's how I read it.

Unfortunately, archery isn't that great. In Core, there really isn't a way to do decent archery damage. And if the highest level you're looking at is 6, there's not much to do. Rapid Shot is all there is, and Manyshot at level 6.

weenie
2008-11-12, 08:25 AM
Weapon Crystal of Energy Assault (600 gold adds 1 point of elemental damage; 3,000 gp adds 1 die of elemental damage)
Frost (or other similar) magical enhancement? (+1 bonus, though a +2 weapon is a bit much at 6th level)
Dip a level of something with precision damage?

I'ts core only, so no MIC, and we're also a bit under the WBL for now, so no +2 weapons either I'm afraid. As for precision damage the only option is going rogue. And without improved invisibility, he won't have a lot of chances to sneak attack all that much. Or is there another way of getting SA with a bow?

kamikasei
2008-11-12, 08:34 AM
It's the bow's enhancement, or the arrow's enhancement. At least, that's how I read it.

Yes, they're both enhancement bonuses so they stack; firing a +1 arrow from a +1 bow is a waste.

OP, what sort of damage are you looking to put out? With Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot from the ranger style, and if facing a favored enemy, you could be putting out 2d8+10 which is not to be sneezed at.

weenie
2008-11-12, 08:36 AM
I'd be completely happy wit 1d8+4 per shot(not counting the favored enemy bonus). So far I think we have 1d8+3 if within 30ft.

Gorbash
2008-11-12, 08:38 AM
Not really. If he wins the initiative and that's it... Sniping also isn't viable option, because -20 on hiding is kinda too much on low lvls.

Eldariel
2008-11-12, 08:45 AM
You're really out of options - Archer needs high Str and Dex to be efficient in Core, and really, preferably Rogue- or Cleric-levels. Actually, I'd suggest multiclassing into Rogue. Sneak Attack could easily add some potency to the arrows (use with Invisibility, for example). Beyond that, reassigning scores for high Str is really the only way - Core isn't very friendly to non-magical archers (or D&D 3.5e in general).

Thrawn183
2008-11-12, 08:50 AM
I'd say your best bet might be picking up three or four bane arrows that are bane to whatever is the biggest boss you think will be coming up.

You'd have to save them until the time is right, but that's essentially 2 really hardcore full round attacks.

Epinephrine
2008-11-12, 09:10 AM
Ah - core only. That's just DMG, PHB?

Does the group have a mage who is fond of the Grease spell? Anything that forces balance checks will deny dex bonuses for most foes, allowing the sneak attack damage. 1d6 extra on the surprise round and vs flat-footed opponents (and I assume he has solid dex) can be a few extra damage at the start of each combat, which isn't bad, and with a grease spell or the like you can get more sneak attacks off.

Otherwise, no ideas really.