PDA

View Full Version : New Race: Twili [PEACH]

Kagehime
2008-11-12, 03:08 PM
I bet you all thought I forgot this. I didn't, I've just been working on other things, too.

Here's the Twili Race; please, by all means, let me know if it's overpowered, underpowered, etc. Q&C still very much welcome.

Twili

The Twili are humanoids native to the Twilight Realm. Their ancestors were a powerful tribe of sorcerous humans who sought to invade the Light Realm and steal the power of the Triforce; when it failed, they were banished to this world. Yet they did not die. The twisting shadows of eternal Twilight slowly changed the race of men over the years, and each new generation was born of more of the stuff of the plane itself than the flesh and blood of light. Eventually, their descendants came to become known as the Twili, a largely peaceful race with its own distinctive nature.

Due to their shadowy nature, Twili can vary greatly in appearance of height and weight (an average puts them at about 5’9” and 100 lbs.) but they always seem to be elongated, with elegant curves on both genders and long limbs. Their skin is largely midnight black, but along the chest, neck and face the skin tone is a contrasting pale, and can range from gray or green to blue. Their eyes and hair usually match, in bright reds, yellows and oranges. Facial features, too, appear to be stretched, and slightly tilted up, creating a striking appearance that many other races (would) find attractive.

•+2 Int, +2 Cha; -2 Dex, -1 Con
•Humanoid (Twilit, Extraplanar [if outside of Twilight Realm])
••Note that although they are composed of part of the essence of the Twilight Realm, Twili are not outsiders.
•Medium: As Medium creatures, Twili have no special bonus or penalties due to their size.
•Immunity to darkness and shadow effects and a +2 bonus against Illusion spells or effects.
•Darkvision: Twili can see an unlimited range with no light at all, even in an area of magical darkness.
•Being of Shadows: A Twili cannot normally exist in the World of Light (i.e., the Material Plane). Brought there, the Twili appears as an incorporeal shadow version of itself, though they may still use magic. If forcibly exposed to the Light, the Twili’s Constitution immediately drops to 1 and is knocked unconscious but stable at -1 HP. HP may be restored, but subject to the new Constitution. The only way to restore Constitution to full is the willing sacrifice of an equal amount from a denizen of the World of Light. Doing so will allow the Twili to function normally in light, as well, though they may continue to take shadow form if they so choose.
•Weapon proficiency: Twili receive the Martial Weapons Proficiency feat for the longsword. Although they have not been used commonly in a long time, the Twili continue to train with the ceremonial sword.
•+2 racial bonus to Hide checks in areas of dim light; +4 bonus in darkness.
•Automatic languages: Common and Twili* Bonus languages: Any non-secret.
•Favored class: Wizard. A multiclass Twili’s wizard class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
•LA: ???

* The Twili language is almost impossible for other races to speak, as it consists of a series of tonal moans; it can, however, be read and written in, using its own alphabet.

insecure
2008-11-12, 04:31 PM
Hmm... I'll put them at LA +1.

By the by, I suppose that you mean that they can see as far away in darkness as they can in light, not that they can see infinitely far in darkness?

Kagehime
2008-11-12, 04:37 PM
Hmm... I'll put them at LA +1.
Seems fair enough. I was going for about that.

By the by, I suppose that you mean that they can see as far away in darkness as they can in light, not that they can see infinitely far in darkness?

Right, I meant unlimited as compared to light vision.

starwoof
2008-11-12, 04:49 PM
I would advise increasing the con penalty to -2. Odd numbers aren't really done.:smallsmile: Any LA they would have is mostly from their immunity to shadow effects I think. I'm not really sure that they qualify as a +1 LA, even if they are fantastic in the dark. Maybe high on the +0 LA scale.

That said, I will probably end up using this as well as your other twilight stuff! I've been homebrewing some of the other monsters and races for a Hyrule campaign and you've saved me the trouble of doing Twili.:smallwink:

DracoDei
2008-11-12, 05:13 PM
Imunity to natural darkness is pretty powerful... as is incorporality (with full effect from spells on corporeal creatures?) I could definitely see one of these as a caster... low on AC and hp(even after they get their CON restored), but incorporality and eventually a wand of Darkness help out a lot.
HOW volentary does the CON loss have to be? Would a horse that you have been getting on good terms with for 3 months count? What if you Speak with Animals (via hired caster) and promised it green pastures for the rest of its life instead of its current position in a coal mine?

starwoof
2008-11-12, 05:22 PM
Oh I did not fully comprehend incorporeality. Their level mod is at least +2 right now, maybe higher.

Kagehime
2008-11-12, 05:22 PM
Starwoof: I thought about that, but I wasn't sure...it's probably a good idea, just to be more balancing anyway. I also had hoped that everyone could use it immediately, and +0 LA would be perfect. ...Not sure about the incorporeality, as it's not very useful--it also grants invisibility, yes, but they can't do anything besides cast spells. Anyway, it's not a problem; I hope to see your designs, too! (Next up: Midna and Usurper King Zant.)

DracoDei: Note that though they are incorporeal, all they can do thus is cast spells. They can't physically interact with the world in any way. Also, not a lot of them would want to go that route normally, since it is incredibly agonizing, leaves them near death (needing someone to carry them to wherever they might get it restored), and who's going to guarantee that someone would want to sacrifice themselves for them?

Ah, I should probably clarify; it must be Con from a sentient Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid.

Fizban
2008-11-12, 05:35 PM
The LA depends largely on where the adventures will be taking place: the world of Twilight, or of Light. If Twilight, then LA would be +0. If Light, the incorporeal trait is usually considered LA+4 or 5 by itself, even with a light vulnerability, because it is assumed that PC's won't allow their vulnerabilities to come into play most of the time.

On a story translation note, I'd like to hear your reasoning behind the near death from light and sacrifice to restore mechanics. I was under the impression it was something unique about Zelda, whether it was the Triforce of Wisdom she carried or her own magic, that allowed her to restore Midna. The damage inflicted upon Midna was caused by the spirit of light's presence: Link had been restored to human form by it in the past, and that same power affected Midna when she was in the open, weather or not the spirit would have wanted it too (not that we know if they knew she was helping, the spirit may have simply assumed she was evil and attacked what it could, still being restrained from attacking Zant). In any case, It is quite clear that Zant intentionally unleashed the spirit to hurt Midna, and I thought the spirits undivided attention signified that it was the spirit's power that harmed her, what with the extra shining and it diving at her, rather than the return of light in general. While she may of been incorporeal in the Light World before Zelda's gift, she appeared so in daylight without harm to herself previously (now that I think about it, when she entered the barriers to the twilight afflicted areas I don't think she wasn't incorporeal before she passed through, which would indicated that she assumed the shadow form, as she said, just to hide out).

So there's my take. You're free of course to run it however you want, but I disagree myself on how they interact with the World of Light. I would argue that they retain their normal forms just fine, and are not harmed by normal daylight, only powerful ambient light magic, such at that emitted by the Spirits of Light. This would also make them a lot easier to balance, since you wouldn't have to worry about the worth of incorporealness and light vulnerability, but your Shadow Beast entry leads me to believe that you want to emphasize those points, so I'll just leave it at that.

Kagehime
2008-11-12, 05:55 PM
I suppose it makes sense to vary based on location. We didn't get to see much of it, but I'm sure there are a lot of things to be done in the Twilight Realm.

First, it is indicated by the script that it's specifically Zelda's power that allows it...but I'm forced to make a bit of the change for the sake of game mechanics, in case the players wanted to make them corporeal to tone down the LA. However, I do note that there is no normal way that one can be exposed to the light, as they're normally incorporeal, yes. It would have to be as powerful as Lanayru to affect them. Also, yes, she does say that it's merely to hide (though I think it was actually meant to ease game mechanics (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlatformingPocketPal)). Alright. Well, anyway, this seems to fit the theme as stated; and what's more, it can be excused by saying that Midna is special anyway, having the Fused Shadow.

Hmm...but actually, that might work. Ah, even better thematically: only the corrupted Twilit creatures are harmed by normal light. Pure Twilit spirits like the race are fine. Hmm again. Allow me to edit.

Twili
The Twili are humanoids native to the Twilight Realm. Their ancestors were a powerful tribe of sorcerous humans who sought to invade the Light Realm and steal the power of the Triforce; when it failed, they were banished to this world. Yet they did not die. The twisting shadows of eternal Twilight slowly changed the race of men over the years, and each new generation was born of more of the stuff of the plane itself than the flesh and blood of light. Eventually, their descendants came to become known as the Twili, a largely peaceful race with its own distinctive nature.

Due to their shadowy nature, Twili can vary greatly in appearance of height and weight (an average puts them at about 5’9” and 100 lbs.) but they always seem to be elongated, with elegant curves on both genders and long limbs. Their skin is largely midnight black, but along the chest, neck and face the skin tone is a contrasting pale, and can range from gray or green to blue. Their eyes and hair usually match, in bright reds, yellows and oranges. Facial features, too, appear to be stretched, and slightly tilted up, creating a striking appearance that many other races (would) find attractive.

•+2 Int, +2 Cha; -2 Dex, -2 Con
•Humanoid (Twilit, Extraplanar [if outside of Twilight Realm])
••Note that although they are composed of part of the essence of the Twilight Realm, Twili are not outsiders.
•Medium: As Medium creatures, Twili have no special bonus or penalties due to their size.
•Immunity to darkness and shadow effects and a +2 bonus against Illusion spells or effects.
•Darkvision: Twili can see an unlimited range with no light at all, even in an area of magical darkness.
•Being of Shadows: Though Twili can exist in the World of Light, they are vulnerable to light magic effects. If exposed to magical light of above CL 6, they suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls and saves. If exposed to magical light from a source with a divine rank (i.e., at least a demigod), the Twili’s Constitution immediately drops to 1 and is knocked unconscious but stable at -1 HP. HP may be restored, but subject to the new Constitution. The only way to restore Constitution to full is the willing sacrifice of an equal amount from an equally powerful denizen of the World of Light.
•Weapon proficiency: Twili receive the Martial Weapons Proficiency feat for the longsword. Although they have not been used commonly in a long time, the Twili continue to train with the ceremonial sword.
•+2 racial bonus to Hide checks in areas of dim light; +4 bonus in darkness.
•Automatic languages: Common and Twili* Bonus languages: Any non-secret.
•Favored class: Wizard. A multiclass Twili’s wizard class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
•LA: ???

* The Twili language is almost impossible for other races to speak, as it consists of a series of tonal moans; it can, however, be read and written in, using its own alphabet.

Better?

EDIT: -2 Con penalty now.
EDIT 2: Fixed the light weakness.

starwoof
2008-11-12, 06:05 PM
Great. +0 LA.:smallbiggrin: I still say increase the con penalty to -2 though.

Kagehime
2008-11-12, 06:09 PM
Got that, too. :smallsmile: Hey, maybe between the two of us, we can convert the whole game to d20!

Lappy9000
2008-11-12, 06:11 PM
You know you can edit the first post, right? It usually keeps things cleaner :smallbiggrin:

starwoof
2008-11-12, 06:11 PM
:O Lets do it. I'll send you a PM in a sec.

Kagehime
2008-11-12, 07:03 PM
You know you can edit the first post, right? It usually keeps things cleaner :smallbiggrin:

Oh, I knew it. That was just to make it a little cleaner...

Fizban
2008-11-12, 07:26 PM
I can agree with that. I don't know if it was intentional, but as written even a lowly Light spell will penalize them, so the group will have to work with torches and lanterns all the time. Ends up being more of a flavor difference, but something for them to remember.

One last question: how are you defining sacrifice? If it's ability damage or drain, it can be healed, which negates the noble sacrifice element. Now that it's only caused by direct divine power, it should happen seldom enough that that can be played up, so it'd be okay for a full transfer that can't be healed.

I hadn't thought about the fused shadow helping with that. Once you throw the artifact into it there's no way to tell based off Midna, good point.

Kagehime
2008-11-12, 08:00 PM
I fixed the light weakness; now it only refers to magical light of above a certain level. Unless players prefer it the other way.

I meant by that, that it should be permanent ability drain--that is, transfer, in so many words. Zelda getting revived at the end should be a once-only thing because they were dealing with Ganon. Otherwise it's permanent, and will probably cause death.

Yeah, that's the problem with that, as the presence of artifacts always makes it more complicated.

Fizban
2008-11-13, 02:13 AM
Any idea what the heck was going on there with Zelda anyway? I had been thinking she gave up the triforce of wisdom or something, causing her to fade into a spirit. Presumably without the triforce she didn't have the power to resist his magic, and he puppetized her for the heck of it. I can't remember off the top of my head what happened to her body after you beat Puppet Zelda though, did she vanish, get left in a corner, or what?

Kagehime
2008-11-13, 10:55 AM
Good question...it's not really brought up again, though Midna does mention reviving her. I'm guessing she just collapsed on the bed or something, like in The Adventure of Link.

JackMage666
2008-11-13, 11:31 AM
It's a +1 LA. Incorporeal is a HUGE boon, even with the light issue.
It should be noted, though, how Daylight or similar spells effect it.

Kagehime
2008-11-13, 11:45 AM
Hmm...it could be, although that's still pretty balanced at LA +1. Incorporeality is only that great when you can interact physically, though it can be useful to hide after using up spells or spying.

Oh, and it just occurred to me, I forgot their speed. Hmm...I can't recall if they can all fly or if that was just Midna.

Fizban
2008-11-13, 11:30 PM
I'd give them normal speed, or 40' if you want to go for the lighter-shadowier-faster thing. If 40' then you should probably bump the LA.

I'm thinking Midna flew with her magic, possibly made easier as her curse shrunk her, and there's that fused shadow to consider again. The Twili you see when you take the fight to zant don't float or anything. Now that I think about it, they may have been small sized too. I suggest taking whatever save you've got near the end and heading back there to check it out. We know Midna and Zant were medium, but they were in the royal house: I know at least one of the Twili outside the castle as about your height after bringing the Sol to them, but I think the others may have been smaller.

No Twili naturally look like Midna did before the final cutscene: she was cursed by Zant into what she refers herself to be an Imp. The only other Twili we see are outside the castle in the dungeon after you pass through the mirror, and Zant, in some parts while you fight him and in cutscenes. His death was freaking eerie by the way. From what I remember, I'd say the Twili all generally look the same, but the royals are a bit taller and more purple colored. You could probably fluff this as their being closer to the shadow magic that they had when they first arrived. If the differences are more than I remember, you might have to make a royal sub-type. I generally don't like excessive subtyping, but if there's a big difference there's little way around it.

Incorporeality really is a big deal. It's flat immunity to non-magical weapons, and 50% miss chance on anything magical that's not a force effect, ghost touch, or specifies that it affects incorporeal opponents normally. Being able to affect the environment doesn't matter much when it can't affect you, and you don't need to open doors or anything when you can glide through walls. The only problem would be food: most incorporeal creatures don't need to eat, but if the Twili didn't lose that need, it would be more of a prolonged death.

In any case, you removed the incorporealness in the last edit I thought, so it shouldn't matter.

starwoof
2008-11-13, 11:35 PM
I just killed Zant about an hour ago (convenient eh?) and most of the Twili were about Link's height, so medium. The rest were children and were smaller. The only way royals are different is that they wear cloth clothes.

Fizban
2008-11-14, 02:27 PM
Ah, thank you for the research.