PDA

View Full Version : William the Conqueror in the Playground - Sock-Puppet Edition!

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-12, 04:40 PM
So, in my history class here at the college, the teacher has split us up into groups to each work on a project - each group had to come up with a historical presentation.

Well, since there weren't too many enthusiastic people in my group, I decided to step up. I suggested to the rest of the group that we might try something about William the Conqueror, one of my top ten "favorite history dudes."

Two of the other group members and I managed to get together today and have a talk about what sort of presentation we might give. We eventually decided to make some puppets out of socks, felt, and the like, and film a sock-puppet re-enactment of some of the rather interesting bits in his life.

We're still in the idea phase on this, but I thought I'd share it with the Playground... so, what do you guys think?

EvilElitest
2008-11-12, 04:41 PM
nice idea, but you need a Napoleon puppet
from
EE

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-12, 04:59 PM
nice idea, but you need a Napoleon puppet
from
EE

Well, Napoleon was born about seven hundred years after William died. It'd kinda be a waste of felt.

EvilElitest
2008-11-12, 05:02 PM
Well, Napoleon was born about seven hundred years after William died. It'd kinda be a waste of felt.

Yeah, but he is just that awesome
from
EE

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-12, 05:03 PM
Man, what kind of wacky school do you go to? We have to give professional-looking presentations and write boring papers! :smallbiggrin:

rubakhin
2008-11-12, 05:06 PM
According to my cousin on the Irish side of my family, who just spent ten years doing some long complicated geneaology that goes back like 26 generations, I'm a direct descendant of that guy.

I think this means you have to pay me royalties or something. :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-12, 05:12 PM
Man, what kind of wacky school do you go to? We have to give professional-looking presentations and write boring papers! :smallbiggrin:

Err, bwahaha?

According to my cousin on the Irish side of my family, who just spent ten years doing some long complicated geneaology that goes back like 26 generations, I'm a direct descendant of that guy.

How about a few pictures from the presentation? Will that work? Or maybe a bottle of Sprite...

Renegade Paladin
2008-11-12, 05:35 PM
Then what are you waiting for? Make with your birthright and toss those House of Windsor losers out on their ears! :smallbiggrin:

happyturtle
2008-11-12, 05:55 PM
I like William of Orange better.

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-12, 05:58 PM
Be that as it may, we're only supposed to cover stuff up to the year 1500. Even if we wanted to do something about Napoleon or William III, we couldn't do it.

Collin152
2008-11-12, 06:50 PM

Me too. I intend to overthrow the crown with this heritage.

Beholder1995
2008-11-12, 06:52 PM
We're still in the idea phase on this, but I thought I'd share it with the Playground... so, what do you guys think?

I think if you did a Battle of Hastings in sock-puppet form it'd be awesome...

Lupy
2008-11-12, 06:58 PM
I think if you did a Battle of Hastings in sock-puppet form it'd be awesome...

I have a new idea for my school's drama club....

Lupy: Teacher! I have an idea!

Teacher: Yes Lupy?

Lupy: Spartans versus Normans... ON IWO-JIMA!!!!

rubakhin
2008-11-12, 07:53 PM
Me too. I intend to overthrow the crown with this heritage.

BROTHER!! Let us join forces and storm Buckingham! Or wherever the hell they store the royal family when they're not using them!

After that we should totally knock boots because the incest angle is kinda hot.

Ahem. Anyway, I totally demand to see pictures of the puppets/the show itself when you're done. :smallsmile:

Collin152
2008-11-12, 08:03 PM
After that we should totally knock boots because the incest angle is kinda hot.

No problems there. Let's go. :smallwink:

Swok
2008-11-12, 08:04 PM
Best thread derail everfor the time being.

Also, there must be pictures of the Sock Puppetry!

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-12, 08:12 PM
Also, there must be pictures of the Sock Puppetry!

I'll do what I can, but today I was dismayed to find out that the local Wal-Mart did not have any felt. Luckily, I have until next Thursday for this.

Swok
2008-11-12, 08:35 PM
Why not check any local fabric stores? It might cost more than cheap-mart, but you'd be assured to get what you want.

Uncle Festy
2008-11-12, 09:34 PM
All hail the mighty sock puppet!
Ah, I remember when we had a big end-of-year presentation, and Phase did it with sock puppets.
Good times, good times. :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-12, 11:36 PM
Ah, I remember when we had a big end-of-year presentation, and Phase did it with sock puppets.

I've gotta see this...

Oregano
2008-11-13, 05:49 AM
You have to do him booting Edgar Atheling out of England. And him defying the pope(but instead of how he did it historically, do it violently:smallamused:).

I'm doing about The Norman Conquest after I've finished about the Crusade.:smallbiggrin:

InaVegt
2008-11-13, 06:14 AM
I like William of Orange better.

Which one?

There have been 8 ruling Williams of Orange, and it looks like we might gain another one soon.

Of course, there are a couple of famous Williams of Orange.

William the Silent (Prince William I of Orange, Dutch Father of Fatherlands)
William III of England (Prince William III of Orange, Ruling two world powers at once)
William I of the Netherlands (King William I of Orange, first King of the Orange line)
William II of the Netherlands (King William II of Orange, major reformer of the constitution)

Tuataralad
2008-11-13, 08:07 AM

Cool. My mom did a bunch of genaeology work recently, and I found out that I am also decended form William the Conqueror, but for me it is about 32 generations. It turns that I am decended from his third son (if I remember right) but his second son was the one who inherited the throne. So close, yet so far...

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-13, 02:11 PM
You have to do him booting Edgar Atheling out of England. And him defying the pope(but instead of how he did it historically, do it violently:smallamused:). Indeed. I'm also doing the bit where he cut off the rebels' hands and feet in Val-es-Dunes in 1047

Dallas-Dakota
2008-11-13, 04:55 PM
Somebody called?

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-13, 05:33 PM
Somebody called?

...Question mark?

TheCountAlucard
2008-11-29, 06:11 AM
An Update: Sadly, this may not work so well. So far, none of the members of my group have e-mailed me with a script for their respective scenes, despite it being postponed far later than it should've been, and I've only been able to finish one puppet, and the thing is due Tuesday... :smallsigh:

TheCountAlucard
2008-12-02, 11:42 AM
Well, believe it or not, we managed to film enough to make a movie out of, and I showed it in class with my group's presentation. Laughter and applause abounded, to my surprise. :smallbiggrin:

I'm trying to upload it to Youtube now so that you guys can enjoy it as well, but it's being rather stubborn. :smallannoyed:

dish
2008-12-02, 11:51 AM
Well, believe it or not, we managed to film enough to make a movie out of, and I showed it in class with my group's presentation. Laughter and applause abounded, to my surprise. :smallbiggrin:

Congratulations! I hope you got a good grade.

TheCountAlucard
2008-12-02, 01:25 PM
Congratulations! I hope you got a good grade.

Well, due to my rushing it, the movie didn't come out nearly as well as I had wished, but like I said, the people laughed. I hope to later improve it by adding more dialogue and whatnot, but in the meantime, here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsAZNbn3LZY) the current version for the Playground to enjoy.

Neko Toast
2008-12-02, 01:30 PM
The sound died in some areas of the video, but other than that, quite entertaining. :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2008-12-02, 01:33 PM
The sound died in some areas of the video, but other than that, quite entertaining. :smalltongue:

I'm quite aware of that. :smallfrown:

In truth, that's actually where the audio had to be removed, because someone was talking in the background, or we couldn't remain in-character and started laughing, etc., and I intended to put new audio in afterward, but due to time constraints, wasn't able to. Of course, rather than say that to my World Civilizations class, I simply let them think that something was wrong. :smallsigh:

Ash08
2008-12-02, 08:12 PM
It captures it... perfectly, an excellent job. What college is this that lets you do projects with sock puppets, I must know!