PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Arch/Beg/Wiz

Thurbane
2008-11-12, 08:51 PM
Hey all,

Just looking for some help creating a particular build.

I’m looking for a combo of Archivist/Beguiler/Wizard/Mystic Theurge(?)/Ultimate Magus(?) (yes, I know – VERY suboptimal).

Basically, I want to advance all three of his casting classes as much as possible, with primary focus on Wizard, secondary on Archivist and tertiary on Beguiler.

Please don’t suggest alternate base classes, for my own reasons, it has to be Archivist/Beguiler/Wizard.

***Also, cannot use Precocious Apprentice to qualify for PrCs, due to standing house rules***

Cheers - T

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-12, 09:02 PM
Beguiler 1/ Wizard 1/ Archivist 3/ Mystic Theurge 10/ Ultimate Magus 5, using Versatile Spellcaster to get 2nd level Beguiler spells. Both as-written and according to WotC that works. Maybe even get Spontaneous Healer or Spontaneous Summoner (CD) and go 1/1/1/MT/UM...

nargbop
2008-11-12, 10:12 PM
Err... well, negotiate with your DM to use Ultimate Magus but rotate around which classes are increased. That is to say, level 1 UM increases Wizard and Beguiler, level 2 increases Beguiler and Archivist, level 3 increases Archivist and and Wizard, et cetera.
The original UM rules skip occasional levels for one or the other class. Technically, they say increase AN existing class and not which one. This thing you're doing is close to house-ruling anyway, just work something out with your DM so you're not terribly far behind the other players.
Doing this rotation thing will give you something like Beguiler 1 Archivist 1 Wizard 3 UM 10 granting you the casting of Beguiler 8 Archivist 7 Wizard 10. You will be weak at all kinds of casting but have a large range of options of spells to cast.
<edit>Re: Biffoniacus' post... if his group has decided against Practiced Spellcaster, it's likely that the quick-qualification schemes will not be allowed.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-12, 10:33 PM
<edit>Re: Biffoniacus' post... if his group has decided against Practiced Spellcaster, it's likely that the quick-qualification schemes will not be allowed.

It's Precocious Apprentice, not Practiced Spellcaster. Plus, WotC has ruled against Precocious Apprentice allowing early qualification, which is probably why his group won't allow it. WotC has however specifically said that Versatile Spellcaster can be used to get higher level spells than you can otherwise cast, and that it does allow early entry.

Thurbane
2008-11-13, 03:49 AM
@ nargbop - I'm really looking for a RAW solution here, but thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I'm not that hung up about getting 9th (or even 8th) level spells in the build. If I could get to effective Wiz 13, Arch 9 & Beg 6 by ECL20, I'd be happy. :smallsmile: