PDA

View Full Version : A Favored Soul of a powerful outsider?

TaintedLight
2008-11-12, 08:55 PM
I am going to be starting a new campaign with a friend soon (he is the DM), and it is an epic game. I haven't yet pitched this idea to him, but maybe you all can help me support my point.

I want to play a LE Favored Soul of Belial/Fierna (Lords of the Fourth layer of Baator), but I don't know if you have to choose a specific deity or just a powerful entity. Her backstory is pretty much that she was chosen before her birth by Belial to be his prophet, and that she is a well respected figure within the hierarchy of his cult on the Material Plane. How can I flesh this out more and make it a compelling sell?

Thurbane
2008-11-12, 08:59 PM
I think by RAW it must be a diety, but I can't see any real problem for the DM to rule Demon Lords and Archdevils as Demigods for this purpose...

Fax Celestis
2008-11-12, 09:01 PM
Doesn't Orcus grant spells, even pre-divinity? No reason this couldn't be a similar situation.

ClericofPhwarrr
2008-11-12, 09:16 PM
How can I flesh this out more and make it a compelling sell?

By emphasizing the awesome parts of it. Make sure to let him see that you're really excited about it.

Also, Thurbane: Honk.

Gralamin
2008-11-12, 09:18 PM
I am going to be starting a new campaign with a friend soon (he is the DM), and it is an epic game. I haven't yet pitched this idea to him, but maybe you all can help me support my point.

I want to play a LE Favored Soul of Belial/Fierna (Lords of the Fourth layer of Baator), but I don't know if you have to choose a specific deity or just a powerful entity. Her backstory is pretty much that she was chosen before her birth by Belial to be his prophet, and that she is a well respected figure within the hierarchy of his cult on the Material Plane. How can I flesh this out more and make it a compelling sell?

Fiendish Codex I gives each of the Demon Princes domains, so why not the archdevils? For Belial/Fierna, I'd imagine the Diabolic (Fiendish Codex II), Fire, Knowledge, and Evil would be appropriate. Many of the domains from Spell Compendium would also be appropriate.

afroakuma
2008-11-12, 09:19 PM
Yes he does, as does Asmodeus. You can probably get away with it. In particular, as a favored soul, you've got more grounds than, say, full cleric.

TaintedLight
2008-11-12, 10:49 PM
Okay, he said I can use them as my patrons as long as I can provide a convincing backstory. Right now I'm shot for ideas, so can anyone give me a jumpstart to get it going?

afroakuma
2008-11-12, 11:37 PM
You are descended from one of the many children of Fierna, and have had your fiendish blood awakened as the favored soul of your ancestral sire, Belial, who has chosen you to carry the spark of his infernal flame throughout your world. As his favored agent, you are to acquire by trickery or seduction the ability to blackmail certain important persons throughout the land. This will be important in your familial conquering of the plots of Prince Levistus, whose domain your great-great grandfather wishes to steal. Although devilish politics as a whole will ignore you, an agent of Mammon wishing to curry favor with his dread lord has become aware of your existence and seeks to sacrifice you.

TaintedLight
2008-11-12, 11:42 PM
You are descended from one of the many children of Fierna, and have had your fiendish blood awakened as the favored soul of your ancestral sire, Belial, who has chosen you to carry the spark of his infernal flame throughout your world. As his favored agent, you are to acquire by trickery or seduction the ability to blackmail certain important persons throughout the land. This will be important in your familial conquering of the plots of Prince Levistus, whose domain your great-great grandfather wishes to steal. Although devilish politics as a whole will ignore you, an agent of Mammon wishing to curry favor with his dread lord has become aware of your existence and seeks to sacrifice you.

I like the basic premise here, but my DM said I don't get to know jack about the politics of Hell. Any suggestions there?

afroakuma
2008-11-12, 11:43 PM
You don't. That's for him. I just set two Lords of the Nine against you without your knowledge. Aren't you happy?

TaintedLight
2008-11-12, 11:52 PM
You don't. That's for him. I just set two Lords of the Nine against you without your knowledge. Aren't you happy?

Joy:smallconfused:. I think I am going with the following:

Isabel Katiwasayan was born with the taint of Belial and Fierna upon her soul, marked before she left the womb with irredeemable evil. She exhibited strange abilities when she was a child. When a bully would attempt to strike her, he would burst into flame. If someone reprimanded her, her anger was enough to make a town guard tremble. When she had reached the age of 14, she was contacted by Fierna, who revealed the source of her gift. Hungry to gain more power, she left the dead end environment of her home and was trained in the divine arts by priests of the faith, revealing a prodigal talent for sacrifice. Eventually, she was ready to go forth as the Lady of Tears, the mortal mouth of the Lords of the Fourth on the Material Plane.

afroakuma
2008-11-13, 12:06 AM
Don't know about "Tears." Belial and Fierna are more about corruption and seduction. Other than that, I'd say you're sailing along just fine.

TaintedLight
2008-11-13, 12:23 AM
Don't know about "Tears." Belial and Fierna are more about corruption and seduction. Other than that, I'd say you're sailing along just fine.

I don't know about "Tears" either, but it was a good placeholder name. Got another suggestion?

Fax Celestis
2008-11-13, 12:25 AM
Lady of Immolation?

Thurbane
2008-11-13, 03:46 AM
Also, Thurbane: Honk.
Viva la revolution! :smallbiggrin: