PDA

View Full Version : Biggest monster stack ever

rwald
2006-10-04, 03:50 AM
So, we set up a game with 6 players with the "Short" game template. After four hours and having only just gotten the first room on the third floor, we got the following monster stack:

http://kinakuta.caltech.edu/~rwald/p1010001.jpg

That's a total of 42 distinct Monster cards all stacked together. Three different Horde cards (boosting on Undead, Goblin, and Fiend) and five (!) Demon Roaches led to this, plus the part where once we started, we just couldn't let it stop. The really scary thing is that the top three monsters on the stack had +2 Attack and +2 Defense bonus per assisting monster (in particular, they're all based on Goblins). Unfortunately, we had to stop playing around 15 minutes after this picture was taken; we never actually got through this stack.

Traveling_Angel
2006-10-05, 09:22 PM
scary, very scary.

Panzar_NSidious
2006-10-06, 08:30 AM
Yes we hit on a stack like this the other night. The second monster on was Redcloak who is a leadership (+1 to stack) and support: Horde (+1 stack per goblin). Next thing you know we had a stack that contained 7 monsters with leadership, horde monsters for goblins, undead (X2), fiends and kobolds and three monsters with henchmen. The stack ends up with 56 monsters in it.

Haley killed the top mob and uncovered Redcloak with either a +48 attack or +48 defense. We were not able to kill Redcloak. We tried several tactics like leaving to building up loot cards and attacking but Haley missed the roll that needed to be an 8. She even had doubleshot but she rolled a 2 and a 5. The only other tactic we could come up with was to have V attack with a boosted fireball to kill the mobs under Redcloak and there by weaken him but it would have taken hours.

Anyone else have tactics for taking down such a large mob?

Fujin
2006-10-06, 10:19 AM

Don't play that many creatures :P

Panzar_NSidious
2006-10-06, 10:40 AM
Don't play that many creatures :P

Well that was a bit of a problem. See the guy in the lead was playing Durkon and he had two boosts vs goblins(He put down Redcloak BTW.) Everyone was holding off putting goblins down before this battle leaving a large number of goblins in thier battle hands. By the time we got back to Durkon he could have ended it but added a goblin. The next person had a henchmen and one of the other goblins was a Goblin Necromancer so the henchmen added 2. Then everyone started saying they only had goblins left. It snowballed from there. When people had to draw a new battle hand they held off as long as they could but eventually all they had left were cards that added to the horde size. After the first dozen monsters on the stack no one was laughing.

Vaynor
2006-10-08, 12:35 PM
I had a similar thing, except it wasn't many monsters, it was just a bunch of leaders getting leaders, which of course got the highest level monsters in the whole game (Black Dragon and such).

EDIT: This occurred because my friends hate me. ::)

Moebius
2006-10-09, 01:14 AM
Yes we hit on a stack like this the other night. The second monster on was Redcloak who is a leadership (+1 to stack) and support: Horde (+1 stack per goblin). Next thing you know we had a stack that contained 7 monsters with leadership, horde monsters for goblins, undead (X2), fiends and kobolds and three monsters with henchmen. The stack ends up with 56 monsters in it.

Haley killed the top mob and uncovered Redcloak with either a +48 attack or +48 defense. We were not able to kill Redcloak. We tried several tactics like leaving to building up loot cards and attacking but Haley missed the roll that needed to be an 8. She even had doubleshot but she rolled a 2 and a 5. The only other tactic we could come up with was to have V attack with a boosted fireball to kill the mobs under Redcloak and there by weaken him but it would have taken hours.

Play the 'I Forgot They Could Do That' Screw This! card to nullify the Support:Assist ability. I pulled that one off just today to make Xykon manageable... he was sitting on a stack of 48 other creatures, about half of them supporting him.
(Not entirely sure I did it within the rules; see my post over in Rules Questions).

As for the Fireball gambit; I'm not sure it would have worked. Area Effect attacks are against the stats of the toughest monster being hit, and you can't choose to bypass the top of the stack, can you?

The Giant
2006-10-11, 08:57 AM
Ideas on stack-breaking:

1.) "I Forgot They Could Do That" to cancel a Monster's Assist ability, thus making them an easier kill.

2.) Use "Turn Undead" to remove only the Undead from the stack.

3.) Use the "Muskrat 3000" Loot card to discard a key monster.

4.) If it's not Xykon, just leave it the heck alone! No one said you had to beat every Monster on the board. The OOTS characters are constantly running away in the comic.

Traveling_Angel
2006-10-11, 11:59 PM
so does redcloak function similar to a mini-Xyclon?