PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some GameCube games

JabberwockySupafly
2008-11-12, 09:33 PM
Yes, I know the GC is technically a dead system, but I own a Wii,and lately I have been discovering some real gems in the PreOwned section of my local game store, and they have them on special as 2 for $30 AUD right now. I already have:

Battalion Wars
Mario Party 4
Pokemon XD
Pokemon Colloseum
Pokemon Channel (Jirachi will be mine!)
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Phantasy Star Online I & II
Lost Kingdoms

Now, a few criteria: I am looking for GC exclusives, so no point in mentioning something like Ultimate Spiderman because I have that on PS2. Chances are a lot of the good games on GC that are multi-platform I have or have had in the past. The only exclusion is if for some reasion you think the game was better on Da Cube.

Also: Don't bother mentioning Tales of Symphonia or Baten Kaitos. It's not that I don't like them, heck, I loved those games (never finished them because my original Cube died on me due to a thunderstorm), but not a single gamestoreIcannotnameduetoworkingforthem in Australia has them. Bloody infuriating :(. Same with Windwaker. Trust me I looked.

As you can tell I love RPGs, but I will play any game style from FPS to puzzle to platformer. So, come on Playgrounders, help a poor lost soul out!I wanna know what's good!

Thane of Fife
2008-11-12, 09:41 PM
Both Metroid Prime games are very good. Though I believe they're coming out revamped for the Wii, so it might be better just to wait.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is superb.

Oh! And Chibi-Robo is another one I can highly recommend. It sounds weird, but it really is a lot of fun.

Nohwl
2008-11-12, 10:46 PM
super smash brothers melee
fire emblem path of radiance

Haruki-kun
2008-11-12, 10:56 PM
Ah, yes, Lost Kingdoms. A small, lost jewel. :smallbiggrin:

Try Tales of Symphonia.

Hmmm.....

Trazoi
2008-11-12, 11:08 PM
I second Thousand Year Door. It's my favourite RPG for the Gamecube (although I never could find Skies of Arcadia) and one of my favourite console RPGs of all. Alternatively you can get Paper Mario for N64 off the Wii Channel. It's a pity you can't find a copy of Tales of Symphonia, because that was also great.

I also liked F-Zero GX a lot. I'm not sure why as I'm usually not into racing games, but I liked playing this one on the higher difficulty levels.

I'd have thought there would have been a few copies of Wind Waker floating around - it's a pity, because it was very good too.

You might also want to pick up Viewtiful Joe or its sequel. It's a pretty simple scrolling beat-em-up game, but it was fun and worth picking up if you can find it. However you might have this already as I think it was ported, but I can't remember to where.

Metroid Prime and the sequel are good for a sort of platformer FPS. It was a good mix of 2D Metroid with FPS mechanics. But as has been said; apparently there's an updated version in the works.

There's also Super Mario Sunshine. Some Mario fans list it as a bit disappointing, but I think that was mainly because it wasn't nearly as revolutionary as Mario 64. It's still fun.

Player_Zero
2008-11-12, 11:24 PM
So yeah, where the Melee? That game was pretty neat.

...Pikmin was kinda' fun for a while... Dunno if I'd recommend it though.

Oo, err... That Fire Emblem game... But then, I'm a Fire Emblem-fanatic...

AlterForm
2008-11-12, 11:27 PM
If you get incredibly lucky and find one, either the Ocarina of Time: Master Quest or Legend of Zelda: Collector's Disc discs are something you grab ASAP. I dropped $40 on a used Collector's Disc and it was totally worth it.

Gonna second Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. Be prepared for a slight disappointment at the end of 2, though, since Clover disbanded.

GameFAQs lists the top 10 GCN games as:
* 01 Tales of Symphonia
* 02 Zelda: The Wind Waker
* 03 Resident Evil 4
* 04 Super Smash Bros. Melee
* 05 Zelda: Twilight Princess
* 06 Paper Mario
* 07 Animal Crossing
* 08 Fire Emblem: Radiance
* 09 Resident Evil
* 10 Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg is a decent puzzle-platformer. Not very long and a little short on plot, but it's probably one of the last good games SonicTeam put out. In the same vein, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (was it on PS2? can't remember) has ridiculous amounts of replay value.

Starfox Assault is as close as you can get nowadays to SF64 gameplay, but it's incredibly short and absolutely linear. Still rather short even on actual flying levels.

Moose Fisher
2008-11-12, 11:46 PM
Paper Mario:Thousand Year Door

Kirby Air Ride (I had more fun with this game than Double Dash!)

Viewtiful Joe (You will learn to hate the second-to-last boss. Stupid flaming lion and his tornado attack)

Zelda:Wind Waker (Do not be fooled by the art style!)

Zelda: Twilight Princess (yes, there was a gamecube version. It has Link as a lefty and you can access items and zoom with the Hawkeye easier)

Metroid Prime series (scan everything!)

Soul Calibur 2 (Viewed as the best in the series)

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (It will mess with your mind!)

Beyond Good and Evil (never played it, but many people said it was great)

starwoof
2008-11-12, 11:51 PM
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System wasn't console exclusive but nobody played it anyway so I feel like I can recommend it. Its a third person shooter similar to Ratchet and Clank. Its also very long which is something that most new games aren't.

Inhuman Bot
2008-11-13, 11:00 AM
Heres the one's I like alot. I think they all have wikipedia articles, too.

Metal arms glitch in the system.

Goblin commander: unleash the horde

kirby air ride

chibi robo

Baldurs gate dark alliance

Lost Kingdoms 2

Beyond good and evil

paper mario

pikmin 1&2

animal crossing. A note for this one is to look up the codes for the nes games. IMO, they are hard enough to find that cheating for baloon fight or excitebike is worth it.

Metroid prime 1&2

Viewtiful Joe.

&more and descriptions to come*

Mando Knight
2008-11-13, 11:45 AM
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (was it on PS2? can't remember) has ridiculous amounts of replay value.

Starfox Assault is as close as you can get nowadays to SF64 gameplay, but it's incredibly short and absolutely linear. Still rather short even on actual flying levels.

Sonic Adventure 2 was never released on the PS2, so is a must for any GCN collection. It is also the best 3D console Sonic game...

StarFox Assault is OK, but I want Nintendo to make a SF 64 remake already!

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-11-13, 11:50 AM
Melee is great, but if he has a Wii, Brawl is far better.

Woot Spitum
2008-11-13, 03:22 PM
Get Metroid Prime, you won't be sorry.

Eternal Darkness and Paper Mario are also very good.

Emperor Ing
2008-11-13, 04:18 PM
Even though it's the first FPS I ever played, i'm still convinced Metroid Prime is the best FPS of all time.
The second one is also worth getting as well.

SSBM is really fun as well, even if its graphics are abit dated. And with less gamebreaking accessories too. :smallbiggrin:

Sorry, I don't have much else.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-11-13, 07:29 PM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. I completely forgot to mention as well that I have played all the Metroid Primes for both GCN & Wii. Sorry :\

But I really do appreciate all your suggestions and will be sure to start my hunt for a lot of these titles. As for SSBM, I already have Brawl on Wii so having Melee would be a bit redundant. I really liked the original Paper Mario (heck, i have it on VC on the Wii), so I will have to check out Thousand Year Door methinks.

Cheers again to all of you for the help.

Salty
2008-11-13, 07:43 PM
But I really do appreciate all your suggestions and will be sure to start my hunt for a lot of these titles. As for SSBM, I already have Brawl on Wii so having Melee would be a bit redundant. I really liked the original Paper Mario (heck, i have it on VC on the Wii), so I will have to check out Thousand Year Door methinks.

Not a gamecube game, but if you liked the paper mario series and haven't already played it, you might want to buy the super mario rpg from the virtual console. I just got it a few days ago, and it is awesome. (I'm sure a lot of other playgrounders will agree with me.) Enjoy! :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2008-11-13, 07:49 PM
SSBM is really fun as well, even if its graphics are abit dated. And with less gamebreaking accessories too. :smallbiggrin:

But more gamebreaking tricks. You haven't seen annoying until you've been locked out of combat by an opponent who wavedashes, chain grabs, and/or shinespikes you into oblivion.

Geno9999
2008-11-15, 02:06 PM
I third Thousand-year Door. For me, This improves on the Paper Mario form, with more fluid animations and 4th wall breakage (Yes, you in front of the Computer monitor, I'm talking to you too!) (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreakingTheFourthWall)
Another good one is Zelda; Windwaker. I laughed (at Link splatting on a wall), I cried (Zellllllllllda!!!!), and I sailed (Yar!)

KerfuffleMach2
2008-11-15, 11:09 PM
Actually, I don't think owning Melee would be redundant. I think there are enough differences to make it worth owning.

Anywho, on to my list of suggestions.

Twilight Princess
Kirby's Air Ride
Double Dash
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Wind Waker
Thousand-Year Door

And I can't think of any others right now.