PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items that allow you to ignore fatigue?

Brock Samson
2008-11-13, 12:43 AM
I seem to remember that there is one, but can't for the life of me remember what/where/how much? Is it worth it for a character who's got a level dip in barbarian?

Personally I'm always VERY wary to rage because if a DM wants to they can simply have the enemy flee for a minute and then come back with you fatigued. I've never had this actually happen to me, but it's certainly always looming in the back of my mind.

Quietus
2008-11-13, 02:24 AM
I seem to remember that there is one, but can't for the life of me remember what/where/how much? Is it worth it for a character who's got a level dip in barbarian?

Personally I'm always VERY wary to rage because if a DM wants to they can simply have the enemy flee for a minute and then come back with you fatigued. I've never had this actually happen to me, but it's certainly always looming in the back of my mind.

I've had a DM have cunning monsters use tactics intended to waste time in an effort to make my half-dragon barbarian's rage run out. But they knew my PC specifically, they knew his strengths, and they knew how to penalize him. If a DM is specifically screwing over a character, either by consistently firing on a melee fighter from 200 feet away so they can't see their target, or having fast enemies run away from the barbarian for exactly the time to make its Rage run out, he's actively making the game not fun, and he'd better have a damned good reason or he deserves to be chewed out.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-11-13, 02:32 AM

By the way, is your barbarian also named "Brock Samson?"

Talic
2008-11-13, 02:35 AM
Races that are immune to fatigue are generally the best way to go. Warforged make good barbarians.

Quietus
2008-11-13, 02:40 AM
Races that are immune to fatigue are generally the best way to go. Warforged make good barbarians.

Do warforged have a con score? I'm not a fan of the Eberron setting, but I do know that constructs and/or undead (Creatures with con score of --) that have Rage effectively have a three-round duration Rage. Makes it a little less useful when it runs out that quickly, though they do have the benefit of not being fatigued afterward.

TakeV
2008-11-13, 02:42 AM
Yes, warforged have CON scores.

The_Snark
2008-11-13, 02:47 AM
They do have a Con score; in fact, they have a bonus to it.

If you don't want to change whatever race you are but don't mind Eberron/warforged material, there's a graft from an Eberron book that allows you to ignore the penalties for fatigue (and reduces exhaustion penalties to those of fatigue). It'd cost you 6,000 gp, and would reduce your HP total by 2 and give you a -2 penalty on Swim checks, so mechanically it should work fine.

Flavor-wise, your DM might not want to allow Eberron material, or might not feel warforged-ish material fits into the setting—although really, replacing one's legs (wholly or partially) with enchanted steel legs is something that would fit into a lot of generic fantasy without ruining the atmosphere. Your character also might not be too enthusiastic about undergoing such a process, at least not voluntarily, so that might be a problem too...

Brock Samson
2008-11-13, 02:52 AM
Mechanically the graft wouldn't be a hurt at all. As far as my character though, she's as bad-ass as they come (yes she, so no her name's not Brock). She could take the pain of the ritual and welcome it, however I doubt the DM would include warforged in this (we're playing Pathfinder).

I've heard there's a prestige class that lets you ignore fatigue, anyone know where that might be found?

And are there any other ways/magic items to ignore the fatigue? Or to cure it even by some potion or whatnot?

Curmudgeon
2008-11-13, 05:38 AM
Do you really need to ignore fatigue? Or just dispel it? The Breath of the Waves graft (Magic of Eberron) allows you to negate fatigue up to once per hour.

Talic
2008-11-13, 06:56 AM
There's a scarred lands Ranger PrC (Vigilant, I think, out of Relics and Rituals) that is more or less immune to fatigue.

Iku Rex
2008-11-13, 07:03 AM
The Armor of the Unending Hunt (+2 mithral chainmail, 21500) from Complete Warrior makes you immune to fatigue and exhaustion.

dariathalon
2008-11-13, 08:22 AM
Horizon Walker PrC can help you out with the right terrain choice.

Desert
You resist effects that tire you. You are immune to fatigue, and anything that would cause you to become exhausted makes you fatigued instead. You gain a +1 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls against desert creatures.

bosssmiley
2008-11-13, 09:19 AM
Just pack a couple of Potions of Lesser Restoration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restorationLesser.htm). You know, the blue vials with the scarlet bovine on the side. :smallwink:

Darrin
2008-11-13, 09:19 AM

Potions of lesser restoration (buy them from a paladin if you can, cheaper) will work in an emergency.

Boots of the Unending Journey might work (MIC p. 79, 4000 GP), but the immunity to fatigue/exhaustion are a relic power. This requires you worship Farlaughn and either sacrifice a spell or blow a feat on True Believer.

Collar of Healing (MIC p. 89, 5000 GP) is supposed to be for animal companions, but the description only specifies "creature". 1/day heals 50 HP and removes fatigue/exhaustion.

Sphere of Awakening (MIC p. 186, 1800 GP) is probably what you're looking for. 1/day awakens all allies within 60', ends all fatigue/exhaustion effects, and renders all allies immune to fatigue, exhaustion and sleep effects for 10 minutes. Nothing in the description to say it can't be used when everyone is awake.

Talisman of Undying Fortitude (MIC p. 188, 8000 GP) is a bit more pricy, but functions 2/day and renders you immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, critical hits, nonlethal damage, physical ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion, massive damage checks, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save. Only lasts for 3 rounds, though.

If you already have one Iron Heart maneuver (via Martial Study feat), then the Ironheart Vest (ToB p. 150, 3000 GP) will let you pick up Iron Heart Surge. That will get rid of fatigue, a bunch of other status/condition effects, and you can threaten the DM with getting rid of annoying little things like, oh, say gravity or the electromagnetic spectrum.

Blackfang108
2008-11-13, 09:39 AM
Iron Heart Surge. ... you can threaten the DM with getting rid of annoying little things like, oh, say gravity or the electromagnetic spectrum.

It doesn't work that way!

Gravity doesn't have a duration.
Nor does the electromagnetic spectrum.

streakster
2008-11-13, 09:42 AM

Of course they do! It's duration: infinite. And that's certainly longer than one.

Darrin
2008-11-13, 09:54 AM

I was kidding. Any player that tried that on me would find out that he had inadvertently also ended the "aerobic respiration" condition his body was suffering under.

Of course they do! It's duration: infinite. And that's certainly longer than one.

I'm not sure that statement is entirely supported by the current Standard Model of particle physics...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-13, 09:54 AM
Is there a reason your Barb doesn't just chase the enemy when they run away?
"I Rage, Charge, and hit AC 32 for 50+points"
"He Withdraws, moving 60 feet away"
"I Rage, Charge, and hit AC 32 for 50+points"
"He takes a Run action to move away"
"AoO, hit flatfooted AC 32 for 50+points, Run up to him"
"He takes a Run action to move away"
"AoO. Is he dead yet?"

You have a move speed of 40, and enhancement bonuses to speed are cheap. Heck, Boots of Speed are only 12,000 GP. enemies, other than flying ones, shouldn't be able to escape easily.

Sinfire Titan
2008-11-13, 04:58 PM
Two-level dip into Soulborn gets you immunity to Fatigue, but you have to be CE and a Soulborn for 2 levels.

Alternatively, you can use the Iron Heart version of the Crown of White Ravens to get IHS for cheap money, then win epicly against major penalties.

monty
2008-11-13, 05:00 PM
Two-level dip into Soulborn gets you immunity to Fatigue, but you have to be CE and a Soulborn for 2 levels.

Alternatively, you can use the Iron Heart version of the Crown of White Ravens to get IHS for cheap money, then win epicly against major penalties.

Or just a 1-level dip in Warblade at level 9 or later.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-13, 05:03 PM
Barb2/Fighter2/Ranger or Wilderness Rogue1/HorizonwalkerX/Bear Warrior (15-X)

I've seen this build around. One interesting feature is that Horizonwalker's Desert Terrain Mastery makes you immune to fatigue.

If you've got a Ranger/Barbarian, just go Horizon Walker. (Or if you can get the Endurance Feat and 8 ranks in K. Geography some other way)

Brock Samson
2008-11-14, 12:13 AM
As always you guys rock and are supremely helpful. As I've only got one level in barbarian I've only got 1 rage/day, so the relatively cheap Sphere of Awakening sounds pretty good to me, plus it might help my allies out at some point.

As far as the baddies getting away, I've already got Boots of Speed so I can have a rockin' speed for a while, but that doesn't counter things like teleport, dimension door, fly, invisibility. Though I'm slowly but surely getting equipment to cancel these things out. Scout's Headband now gives True Seeing 1 minute/day so I can ignore illusions, potions of fly + bonus speed from Boots of Speed does apply, so I can outfly MOST opponents, and the feat Mage Slayer keeps them from casting teleport/dimension door when within reach of me. I've added Dimension Stride onto my current Boots as well to counter Walls of Force and Force Cage. Eventually I will be uncontainable, insurmountable, incomprehensible, and thorougly hardcore.

None shall escape. My wrath shall be sated.