PDA

View Full Version : Space age D&D without being like 40k

toddex
2008-11-13, 04:46 AM
Hokay here it goes any input would be appreciated. I actually havent dont any real work on developing classes yet just working on the races and their cultures right now.

Just so there is no confusion im trying to give every race a special class that only that race can be. Will I guess it was obvious but just to clarify!
----

Space elves(cant think of name atm)

I'll be using wood elf stats for them.

Feudal system government, very xenophobic, very haughty, very private. They keep their homeworld very secure most outside races never get to walk on the surface. The project an image of peace and equality but the commmon people of their planet are slaves and treated poorly. They still have religion on their planet and are very religious. Believing every good act in their life to be provided by their deity. Their race class is the Paladin. The paladin will focus on using melee weapons and advanced battle armor. They will also have an enhanced spell list.

Space humans (I'll just go with humans on this one)

Humans ever curious and resourceful have expanded from their home planet and taken to the stars. Conquering and creating colonies all over the universe. They have long forgotten the magical arts they once wielded and have abandoned religion. They now rely on technology and a strong back.
Their society is set up like the star trek humans. No hunger, no sickness, everyone lives in equality. There is however a currency. Credits are pretty much dollars. Special class: Techno Mage

The techno mage is a more durable wizard with more protection and hit points. At the cost of a smaller spell list and for RP purposes their 'spells' are just effects created by their tools and technology. They have basic arms training and can wear armor. I'd like to create some sort of wizard artificer hybrid for this class.

Space Orcs (Once again i'll flesh out a name later heh)

Space orcs are (I keep going back to star trek!) klingon like. They put their honor above everything else and are very competetive. Every race has its best and worse sides though and the orcs are no exeception. They are very honorable and very courageous, they are very loyal to their friends and allies. This is the norm there can be evil orcs though. Very deceitful and very cruel. Their racial class will be the Weapon master (very different from the prestige class)a man at arms if you will! Trained in just about every weapon you can think of and very proficient with weapons in general. They favor melee but dont ignore the tactical advantage of range. They also have a small spell list of protection and generally useful spells. (Yes i'd like all classes to have some form of magic without it being called magic. It will be produced by whatever technology they use.)

More to come later...

I'm also thinking about using the d20 star wars armor system.

starwoof
2008-11-13, 04:49 AM
Space elves(cant think of name atm)

Star Elves, of course.:smallwink:

toddex
2008-11-13, 04:54 AM
Haha I was more leaning toward a SPACIER name like THE XELDUK or something more scifi like. Maybe calling humans terrans just like every scifi book / movie / game. No idea what i'd call orcs

chronoplasm
2008-11-13, 05:09 AM
Goblins are little green men. You should totally call them Martians and give them silver suits with bubble helmets.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-13, 05:23 AM
Goblins are little green men. You should totally call them Martians and give them silver suits with bubble helmets.
They fly in wobbly nuclear powered flying saucers, that look on the inside like an old steam ships boiler room, only a green glow from the furnace, not a red one.

chronoplasm
2008-11-13, 05:33 AM
You know what this setting needs more of?

More glam-rock.

Play Flash Gordon by Queen a few times, OP, and you will be inspired.
Oh, also Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars by David Bowie. That album.
Look at pictures of David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust. That is what the elves and eladrin in this space-age setting ought to look like.