PDA

View Full Version : (4E) Character Help

Vikazc
2008-11-13, 12:55 PM
So I was hoping you guys could give me a little help fleshing out my character in my current campaign. We are currently level 4 in a 3 stage campaign that gos to epic levels, and basically everyone is taking the opportunity to alter their characters if they want before getting into the 2nd and much longer stage (we just finished the first).

My character is currently an unaligned elven cleric of the raven queen. He exclusively uses wisdom based ranged abilities, all but 1 of which have been reflavored as cold damage based effects, as he worships the winter aspect of the Raven Queen predominantly.As the sessions went on, my cynical to begin with character, began falling more and more under the sway of winter so to speak, believing death to be the natural end to any creatures life, and desiring to bestow it upon all enemies, the elderly, or others whose pride makes them believe they can defy my divine power. I've been mostly kept in check by one of my good aligned companions, who is the party wizard. He was a follower of the Raven Queen, but his alignment shifted to good, and he was converted to Ioun by an NPC, in part because my characters actions alienated him from the Raven Queen.

The peak of my characters fall came when we were holding a gnome prisoner who has ambushed us, and retreated to a room where an npc we were to rescue was chained to an alter to Vecna(this was an old family keep who had apparently worshipped Vecna, so we ran into a few of these). While the party interrogated the gnome, I proceeded to modify the religous symbols of the alter and sanctified it to the Raven Queen. Shortly after as part of the intimidation attempt, our party chained the gnome up to the new alter. While the rest of the party was administering to the NPC we'd rescued, I progressed through a successful Thievery/Diplomacy/Bluff skill challenge in which I used my cold based powers on the gnome, killed it, and made it appear as if the Raven Queen took him as a sacrifice.

This was also around the time I took the multiclass feat for the warlock power Eyebite, which was meant to imply my characters powers seemed to be coming from a darker and darker place as time went on.

Ok, now after all the back story (Sorry!) my character is changing somewhat as one of my friends I play with would like to try out the cleric role, and we have need of a striker. So my plan is to fully convert my cleric into a warlock, while maintaining his back story. My DM has agreed to let me do this(everyone else is remaking entirely, but the DM believes I've role played my character very well and should be able to keep my concept.) This obviously involves a class change, and some minor equipment changes, but the big one is my race is also changing. I was an elven cleric multiclassed into warlock. My goal is to end up a doppleganger warlock multiclassed into cleric.

The rest of the party will not initially know (in-game) that my character is a doppleganger. We are going to play it off as my characters massive charisma and bluff skills having allowed him to basically play off his race as elven the entire time, and we are just hand waving his conversion from cleric to warlock as a gradual power change. As his soul darkened, his prayers for aid began to be answered by a darker being, with his daily healing word being his last remaining link to the Raven Queen, as she respects his adherance to Winter, but has stepped aside for his new master.

mechanically my stats were Str. 10 Dex. 15 Wis. 20 Char. 13 Int. 10 Con. 8
They will change to Str. 10 Dex 10. Int. 15. Wis. 13. Char. 20 Con. 8.
This will put me at approximately the same power area in the new class, and we are just handwaving the differences with fluff explanations that I don't want to get into yet since this is already a huge post.

What I really need is help with ideas for converting a warlocks paths abilities into a Winter Theme. The hitch I've ran into is that a Feywild Spirit of Ice would make an excellent bestower of my power, but I cant find a valid way to convert most of the fey powers so far, whereas the Star pact powers are easily flavored as cold, many of them already use the cold damage descriptor, but it doesn't seem to fit the fluff as well. Any help you guys could provide would be appreciated.

Eorran
2008-11-13, 01:10 PM
Keep in mind that except for your initial At-will and you Paragon Path, you can choose powers from any Pact you wish.
Since your group's doing some heavy retro-fitting anyhow, it shouldn't be too hard to convince your DM to let you re-fluff Star Pact powers as Fey Pact. (Check and see if he allows changing Con based powers for Cha based ones though).

It seems to me that Star Pact would suit the character's story just as well as Fey. The Far Realm can be just as insidious as the Feywild, perhaps even more so. Fey powers seem to lean towards Chaotic Neutral, to use the old terms, while Far Realm might be NE.

Artanis
2008-11-13, 01:13 PM
You could have your powers given to you by a Fey who had looked too deep into the Far Realms.

Vikazc
2008-11-13, 01:18 PM
Eorran: Yeah, refitting star pacts as fey was my initial idea, but I'm not sure if it pushes the bounds of fairness. Changing the applying stat seems fine, but part of my liking of the fey pact is the misty step ability, which allows a teleport, and I'm not sure if they are balanced to mix and match those or not.

Artanis: Yeah :D. Thats what I like about the minimal fluff of this edition soemtimes, I can pretty much make up any sort of thing I want to draw power from to fit my character.

Eorran
2008-11-13, 01:29 PM
Eorran: Yeah, refitting star pacts as fey was my initial idea, but I'm not sure if it pushes the bounds of fairness. Changing the applying stat seems fine, but part of my liking of the fey pact is the misty step ability, which allows a teleport, and I'm not sure if they are balanced to mix and match those or not.

Why not keep yourself a Fey Pact, then, and take mostly Star Pact powers? The rules explicitly allow you to choose whatever Encounter and Dailies you want, and if you can get your DM to allow all your Star Pact stuff to run off Cha (most already do as I recall), you're gravy.
As far as explanations go, 4e leaves it wide open. Perhaps your Fey patron has a knowledge of the Far Realm, or maybe fey powers of winter just happen to be similar to what the blubbery tentacles from insanity grant you.

Vikazc
2008-11-13, 01:38 PM
Yeah, the only thing that really stops me is my inner desire to be optimized. I have to try a bit for it sense a Con of 8 knocks me pretty far down the optimization ladder...

But I just an hesitant to go fey and use star powers, because that eliminates the pact bonus on most of my abilities then. I might be making too much of it, but I'd like to hold on to those where possible. I dont know...maybe I'm just going overboard on this lol. I'm not sure.