PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 3

Dirk Kris
2008-11-13, 04:56 PM
So, with Diablo 3 to be released...eventually...I find myself wanting to start playing D2 again for kicks and to get back in the mood. Does anyone else still play, or wanna start playing? Maybe we can coordinate something.

Sneak
2008-11-13, 04:59 PM
Hmm, maybe I'll start playing. If I can find the discs, and if my computer will run though. Stupid Mac backwards compatibility issues.

Haven't played D2 in a while. Man, I used to be a cheater in that game. Used Pandora's Box to level myself to 99 as a new character.

I won't do it again, though, I promise. :smallwink:

u-gotNOgame
2008-11-13, 06:44 PM
There was a group for Diablo 2: LoD awhile ago but it dried up. I still have one active char that a play semi-regularly that is level 45ish... however he is a Hardcore charecter, so if he dies, he's dead... for good. i might be persuaded to come back to the soft side if i had some companionship.

-UGNG

Myatar_Panwar
2008-11-13, 06:47 PM
I've never played Diablo 2 online, and am curious as to how it works. Is there one server which your character stays on? Or can you move characters in and out of servers or something? Also, how do quests work? I really have no idea.

Though I might be up for some playing.

u-gotNOgame
2008-11-13, 07:02 PM
if you have ever played anyother blizzard games online it is majorily the same, you create a charecter on one of 4 severs ( US East, US West, Europe, or Asia) and then from there you create a gameworld... so you basicly "host" a game that contains all 5 acts randomly generated, this allows for questing and all that good stuff, as well as boss farming and the like. Your charecters are saved to your account and can be played whenever you feel like.

-UGNG

Tirian
2008-11-13, 07:04 PM
I've never played Diablo 2 online, and am curious as to how it works. Is there one server which your character stays on? Or can you move characters in and out of servers or something? Also, how do quests work? I really have no idea.

Though I might be up for some playing.

It's not an MMO in the purest sense of the term. If your character is on the Europe server, then you can't move him to the Asia server, but the "world" in which you actually play the game is very temporary and limited to between 1 and 8 players, and its very easy to switch worlds in that sense. In fact, the typical XP grind is a group of players who do the same quest over and over again on different worlds.

As far as quests go, each character has his own history of which of the 30 quests he has accomplished. You can get credit for completing a quest on a world that someone else created, but not if the person who created the world had previously completed the quest. So it's pretty easy to team up with people who are in the same spot in the game as you, but also relatively easy to get power-leveled by friends so you can catch up with their experience.

Avilan the Grey
2008-11-14, 01:46 AM
...All I can say is that I did have a Nerdgasm when I heard it was coming out (DIII). Female barbarian, here I come! (Red Sonja, anyone... :smalltongue:)

Icewalker
2008-11-14, 02:44 AM
Gotta say, I really loved the set up for online play in Diablo II. It worked really well...

Unfortunately, because my discs are too scratched up to install anymore, the only DII I can get is cracked torrents, and they don't allow for internet play. I also don't have the free time at the moment.

Diablo 3 is gonna be AWESOME. I'm probably gonna try out a Witch Doctor first, but one thing I'm definitely going to make (because I tried it in DII and it kicked ass) is a throwing weapon Barbarian.

Dhavaer
2008-11-14, 03:05 AM
I'm putting off getting a new computer until I find out what the specs are going to be. I'm looking forward to the wizard, the preview video looked awesome.

Winterwind
2008-11-14, 05:55 AM
Just for the record, the old GitP Diablo 2: LoD group is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68841). I figure trying to revive it might actually be easier than founding one from scratch. I won't participate though, too much other stuff to play, and much too little time. :smallwink:
(Besides, I would pretty much definitely limit myself to hardcore. Ever since I tried that challenge, softcore just never had the appeal anymore...)

Most definitely looking forward to Diablo 3 though. I just hope its release date will not collide too badly with that of StarCraft 2...

Player_Zero
2008-11-14, 06:00 AM
I spent many years of my life playing Diablo II. I will probably spend many of my years playing Diablo III. I have no choice in the matter.

u-gotNOgame
2008-11-14, 01:24 PM
Gotta say, I really loved the set up for online play in Diablo II. It worked really well...

Unfortunately, because my discs are too scratched up to install anymore, the only DII I can get is cracked torrents, and they don't allow for internet play. I also don't have the free time at the moment.

If you still have your CD key Blizzard will you download it off their website for free. As for time, you have time for Diablo II [/jedimindtrick]

-UGNG

Neo
2008-11-14, 01:42 PM
i'd be up for it sometime on Europe, but haven't played in ages, considering Bband speeds its easily doable on US too.

Dirk Kris
2008-11-19, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the link, Winterwind.

Well, I've started playing again, just for gits and shiggles. And it's just as much fun as I remember. Mindless slaughter FTW!

Mordokai
2008-11-19, 09:34 AM
I had fun with that game, but all I did was solo games. Never played on Battlenet, or whatever the Blizzards servers were called. The game itself was fun, but honestly, I'm not sure if I could go over that again. The amount of destroyed computer mouses alone... Not to mention bleeding fingers :smalltongue: