PDA

View Full Version : [Character Profile] Endeca Spellweaver [PEACH]

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-13, 10:11 PM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/Lord_Gareth/packratmage.jpg

"Sometimes - sometimes I wake up and I don't even know who I am. You know, right?"

Endeca Spellweaver is a short, slender arctic elf female of the Bralai tribe. She's colorful, flamboyant, and friendly, and she genuinely loves everyone and everything she meets. She is Chaotic Good.

Most of the time. Sometimes, she's vicious, and mean, and vindictive. Sometimes, when the light of madness leaves her eyes and cold reason replaces it, she's wicked, and merciless, and utterly without empathy for any living thing.

Endeca is a young elf with problems. Her mind is fractured and falling apart, and she's half-ignorant of it. One half of her mind - sadly, the sane, dominant half - is a miserable, evil wretch filled with self-loathing and bitter, angry thoughts. It remembers everything, and while her other personality lives Endeca's life, the evil half of her pulls the strings, carefully guarding her innocence and shielding her from the atrocities she sometimes commits. It does these things out of a twisted sense of love for Endeca's other, childlike personality; it considers the other personality to be a better person, and deserving of the life it thinks it has wasted.

Endeca's good personality, however, has its own problems. It sees the world through rose-colored lenses, as a place where everything is wonderful and people are nice, kind, and good all the time. It trusts and loves everyone and everything totally unconditionally, and would happily give away its last scrap of food to the man swindling it. Deep down, though, it knows something is wrong - stretches of memory are missing, there are times when it doesn't say what it meant to and it can't explain why, and it never remembers any of its dreams. It sleeps instead of trances like other elves, and it doesn't for the life of it know why. It suspects something is wrong, and so it keeps up a barrier of obfuscating stupidity over its crumbling facade of innocence.

The dominant personality chooses to remain in the background, and is Lawful Evil. Anything that threatens the innocence of the Chaotic Good personality is either forcibly forgotten, or the Lawful Evil personality assumes control and destroys it as utterly as it possibly can. It tries its best to aggravate Endeca's situation, keeping the Chaotic Good personality as childlike as possible, but it senses that its control is slipping. It's getting desperate, and if a confrontation is forced between Endeca's two personalities, it may try to drive her to suicide to avoid responsibility for its own actions.

Endeca's mental condition is the result of nearly a decade of torture and repeated applications of mentally-violating magic by an epic-level lich.

Thoughts? Questions?

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-14, 07:49 AM
Bump?

Please?

DUSUCK
2008-11-14, 09:28 AM
Hahaha I heard you talking about this the other day with my brother...I think she sounds cool!:smalltongue:

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-19, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the endorsement >.>

*Sigh* Used to be a day on these forums when a character profile could get some critique. I wonder what happened to those?

kamikasei
2008-11-19, 10:59 AM
Interesting. Is this a thought exercise, or intended for real play? Is the split-personality thing something you would be trying to represent mechanically, or purely roleplay? What kind of game do you see this fitting in to?

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-19, 11:03 AM
She's an actual character that I'm playing now; the multiple personalities have very few mechanical effects, aside from the following:

- Each personality gets its own save vs. Detect Thoughts as its own seperate entity.
- Endeca always detects as whatever alignment is currently in control.
- Mirrors of Opposition will embody the LE personality, leaving the CG one as the "original" person.

'Deca's definitely a character for a high-roleplaying game though; something where the DM either has lots of subplots or doesn't mind his/her players starting them. Generally speaking, her personalities shift when I deem it appropriate, and the LE one makes Bluff checks to pass as the CG one. Sometimes the DM deems something suitably bad to induce the dominant LE personality asserting itself.

kamikasei
2008-11-19, 11:07 AM
Right. The big red flag I saw was how often people seem to look to make multiple-personality characters with different builds or mental stats, but this isn't an example of that gimmick. Sounds like a pretty cool character, assuming you're finding her playable without inordinate disruption to your fellow players.

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-19, 11:09 AM
So far, yeah - mind you, it's in PbP and the rest of the party is already highly suspicious, but hey, that's kinda the point.

What'cha think of the character itself? Anything you wanna toss at me co uld help!

Dublock
2008-11-19, 11:09 AM
really cool concept, although I am curious, what class(es) is she?

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-19, 11:11 AM
Straight-up Wizard 10. That Intellect Devourer on her shoulder is Snuggles, her familiar (painstakingly redeemed to CN from CE). She makes a lot of her own spells, including one that produces a bunch of giant top hats that teleport people around.

kamikasei
2008-11-19, 11:13 AM
What does the evil personality want? These two lines are a little confusing:

"...it considers the other personality to be a better person, and deserving of the life it thinks it has wasted."

"It tries its best to aggravate Endeca's situation, keeping the Chaotic Good personality as childlike as possible..."

What are the evil things it does and what is it trying to achieve by them?

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-19, 11:18 AM
The evil personality, at its core, just wants to be left alone. After all it's gone through, it doesn't even want to be alive, but it sees the CG personality as its child, and in a very real sense as its successor. Unfortunately, the LE personality has gone so far beyond sociopathy that the idea that other beings have emotions is something it can no longer grasp, and thus its idea of keeping the CG personality "pure" involves keeping it as ignorant as possible. Thus, whenever something threatens to bring the CG personality out of its shell of innocence, the LE one asserts control and destroys the offending sight, person, building, et cetera. It plans ahead once the moment of passion is over, taking pains to wipe out family and friends that might seek out vengeance against Endeca, and then to destroy all the evidence as completely as it knows how.

Aside from that, the LE personality lives to serve its own mis-interpreted versions of the CG one's "wishes", usually committing atrocities in the name of getting the CG personality what it wants.

kamikasei
2008-11-19, 11:22 AM
Oh, I see. I thought the references to maintaining the good personality's "innocence" meant "innocence from knowing about the evil personality's actions", not general innocence about other things too.

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-19, 01:49 PM
Exactly ^_^

As a DM, how would you handle/what would you do with/to Endeca?