PDA

View Full Version : Strike of Righteous Vitality is (Ex), but is its effect a spell?

Frosty
2008-11-14, 03:04 AM
The maneuver itself is Extraordinary. No doubt about that. But in the text, it says an ally or you gains the effect of a HEAL spell cast as a cleric of your character level. Does this mean the effects of the maneuver is a Spell or a Spell-like ability?

Asked another way: 1) Will the maneuver work in an AMF? 2) Will it have its FULL effects on a Warforged?

Heliomance
2008-11-14, 04:25 AM
If it's (Ex), then it works in an AMF. No question. For an AMF to block it, it needs to be (Su) or (Sp).

Burley
2008-11-14, 08:56 AM
^^^^What he said.
Also, do warforged get full healing effects from the Heal spell?
I was gonna say you could just fluff it to do either Heal or Repair X, but Repair isn't a cleric spell...Sooo...... Not really fitting the genre of it all...

Meat Shield
2008-11-14, 09:01 AM
I'd personally go with yes on #1 and no on #2, as the effects are as if a heal spell was used, which means only half effectiveness for a warforged. But it would still happen, as it is an EX power.

Frosty
2008-11-14, 10:55 AM
^^^^What he said.
Also, do warforged get full healing effects from the Heal spell?
I was gonna say you could just fluff it to do either Heal or Repair X, but Repair isn't a cleric spell...Sooo...... Not really fitting the genre of it all...

Right. I was hoping there was some RAW answer to this. Guess not. I'll ask in the quesions thread later I guess.

Ponce
2008-11-14, 12:29 PM
I posted a thread about this a while ago. The general response was that Warforged gain the full benefit from all Devoted Spirit "healing" maneuvers. I am inclined to agree.

Frosty
2008-11-15, 01:25 AM
If your Warforged has the feat "Improved Fortification" which renders you immune to Crits and Sneak Attack, will the Maneuver still heal you? The feat's drawback is that you are now also immune to Conjuration (healing) spells.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-15, 01:28 AM
If your Warforged has the feat "Improved Fortification" which renders you immune to Crits and Sneak Attack, will the Maneuver still heal you? The feat's drawback is that you are now also immune to Conjuration (healing) spells.

RAW yes. SoRV is not a conjuration healing spell. The fact that it has the exact same effect is irrelevant, it isn't one.

Frosty
2008-11-15, 01:30 AM
RAW yes. SoRV is not a conjuration healing spell. The fact that it has the exact same effect is irrelevant, it isn't one.

Kind of like how you can't qualify for Reserve feats with Factotum eh? So by your interpretation, SoRV will also heal the Warforged for the full amount?

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-15, 01:31 AM
Kind of like how you can't qualify for Reserve feats with Factotum eh? So by your interpretation, SoRV will also heal the Warforged for the full amount?

Yep. bow before your god!

Frosty
2008-11-15, 01:34 AM
What do you think of the RAI though?

Hmm, now that I've re-read the ability, it does specifically say that you gain the benefit of a heal spell, as opposed to saying that you are subject to a Heal spell. This does make sense.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-15, 01:38 AM
What do you think of the RAI though?
Depends on how much you bribe the DM :smallwink:

I think that in this case RAW and RAI are the same, but that's purely a personal judgment.

Hmm, now that I've re-read the ability, it does specifically say that you gain the benefit of a heal spell, as opposed to saying that you are subject to a Heal spell. This does make sense.
Yep.

Frosty
2008-11-15, 01:54 AM
Depends on how much you bribe the DM :smallwink:

I think that in this case RAW and RAI are the same, but that's purely a personal judgment.

Yep.

The DM is reasonable, but I haven't talked to him about this at all. Do you think this maneuver is one of the better 9th level maneuvers?

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-15, 01:59 AM
The DM is reasonable, but I haven't talked to him about this at all. Do you think this maneuver is one of the better 9th level maneuvers?

For trying to solo hell? You will need all the healing that you can get.

Frosty
2008-11-15, 02:14 AM
Yeah. There is no such thing as Too Much Healing. There is only "Gimme another shot" and "WE NEED MORE STIMPACKS STAT!"

Douglas
2008-11-15, 02:43 AM
Meh, if you really need extreme healing at high levels this is not the way to go (provided you're willing to abuse some cheese). Look up Stone Body in the Spell Compendium. Pay particular attention to what happens when it's active and someone casts Transmute Mud to Rock on you. Now look up Undermaster in the same book. Use cheese (Incantatrix? DMM?) to make both of them Persistent. Have fun with your at will 3.0 Heal (well, hit points only, but still).

Frosty
2008-11-15, 02:47 AM
Yeah...Cheese won't fly in the campaign.