PDA

View Full Version : A little Help? [3.5]

_Zoot_
2008-11-14, 08:17 AM
I am thinking about my next character for a 3.5 campaign and i was wondering if you lot out there would be so kind as to help me out.

I am going with a Sorcerer 1/Wizard 3/Ultimate Magus 10 and then i was thinking about maybe Arc mage?

Is this an ok build? im not looking for a unstoppable build but i would like one that manly focuses on Sorcerer. If you kind people could please advise me on what other builds i might like to consider or ways to make this one better (or tell me if it is ok) then i would really appreciate it....:smallsmile:

Tempest Fennac
2008-11-14, 08:23 AM
If you want to take Ultimate Magus, taking Beguiller levels while having the Wizard barring Illusion and Enchantment is a much better choice. The Beguiller class is mentioned on page 148 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf (I'd take the Beguiller level first for the skill points).

kamikasei
2008-11-14, 08:23 AM
What do you want the character to be able to do? A blaster? A trickster? A utility caster?

What books do you have access to?

Why do you want to focus more on Sorceror (i.e. is it the flavour, the ease of keeping track of the casting, something else...?)

Depending on the focus of the character and whether you have access to the PHBII I would suggest replacing Sorceror with Beguiler, as they're int-based so you'd only need to focus on boosting one stat. They cast much like Sorcerors, but from a more limited list. That's just off the top of my head with the information to hand, though.

_Zoot_
2008-11-14, 09:18 AM
Well i was thinking that if i took Ultimate Magus I would use the Sorcerer for blasting spells and the Wizard for utility spells.

As for books i have
-Complete Mage -Tome of Magic
-Complete Arcane -Magic of incarnum
I also have some others but i don't think they have much that would help.

I want to focus on Sorcerer manly of flavor reasons.

I now also have access to the Beguiler class and the others in the link that Tempest Fennac posted.:smalltongue:

Saph
2008-11-14, 10:00 AM
Is this an ok build? im not looking for a unstoppable build but i would like one that manly focuses on Sorcerer.

It's an okay build, but it's not going to suit you if you really want to focus on your Sorcerer casting.

Even if you prioritise Sorcerer over Wizard in your Ultimate Magus levels, you're not going to get 2nd-level Sorcerer spells until level 7. So unless you're starting at a highish level, you're going to be a very very weak Sorcerer for most of the game.

If you want a build focusing on Sorcerer, you're better off dropping Ultimate Magus and just going for straight Sorcerer levels, with your prestige class(es) of choice. I recommend Fatespinner, Mage of the Arcane Order, Abjurant Champion, and Archmage.

- Saph

kamikasei
2008-11-14, 10:04 AM
Come to think of it, an alternative might be going Warlock/Wizard/Eldritch Theurge, which would let you use the Warlock side for blasting without having to keep two casting stats up. Warlock could easily be treated as a Sorcerer for fluff purposes.