PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Fighter Marks

Burley
2008-11-14, 08:30 AM
Is there a ruling about whether a fighter can mark multiple enemies in a round if he has multiple attacks? It came up in our last session, and nobody could find a good enough answer.

1of3
2008-11-14, 08:43 AM
Yes, he can.

Area attacks also work nicely.

KKL
2008-11-14, 08:44 AM
They can mark multiple enemies if they can target them all.

ColdSepp
2008-11-14, 08:45 AM
He can choose to mark any enemy he attacks. There is no limit on them. Only the Paladin has limits on his Divine Challenge, the Fighter has none.

Charity
2008-11-14, 09:17 AM
To clarify, a paladin can only divine challenge 1 enemy (certain PP's aside), he can mark as many as he is able (several powers allow a paladin to mark multiple opponants.
Also a fighter can only apply his combat challenge once per round (immediate interrupt) so they are essentially equal in that regard.

ColdSepp
2008-11-14, 09:36 AM
To clarify, a paladin can only divine challenge 1 enemy (certain PP's aside), he can mark as many as he is able (several powers allow a paladin to mark multiple opponents.
Also a fighter can only apply his combat challenge once per round (immediate interrupt) so they are essentially equal in that regard.

Yeah. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Yakk
2008-11-14, 11:26 AM
To be really explicit, fighter combat challenge can only deal damage once per round when someone adjacent to the fighter shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include the fighter.

Fighters can mark many, but only damage one.
Paladins can only challenge one (barring special powers), but if more than one where challenged, they could damage any number of them.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-14, 12:57 PM
Further clarification!

You can only mark someone you attack (i.e. make an attack roll). So Cleave does not mark two people - only your primary target.

ColdSepp
2008-11-14, 01:14 PM
To be really explicit, fighter combat challenge can only deal damage once per round when someone adjacent to the fighter shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include the fighter.

Fighters can mark many, but only damage one.
Paladins can only challenge one (barring special powers), but if more than one where challenged, they could damage any number of them.

Which power gives him more challenges? I know of some that give more /marks/, but remember a mark is just a -2 to Attack, it's not a Challenge.

ShaggyMarco
2008-11-14, 01:36 PM
There currently (unless it is in a subscription Dragon) no powers that let a Paladin Divine Challenge more than one enemy.

Thank goodness.

RTGoodman
2008-11-14, 01:42 PM
There currently (unless it is in a subscription Dragon) no powers that let a Paladin Divine Challenge more than one enemy.

Thank goodness.

No, but either way it'd be useless. Divine Challenge ends if you Challenge another target, and even if it didn't the Challenge ends if you don't end your turn threatening them or attack them. At most you'd be able to Challenge multiple foes with one attack, but the next turn all those Challenges would end for foes you didn't attack or end next to.

Townopolis
2008-11-14, 01:55 PM
None Shall Pass: Champion of Order Utility 12

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-14, 02:30 PM
None Shall Pass: Champion of Order Utility 12

Huh. Funny, I was just looking at that PP and I guess I just kept missing it :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2008-11-14, 02:34 PM
Yeah, but nothing about none shall pass gets you past this:

On your turn, you must engage the target you challenged or challenge a different target. To engage the target, you must either attack it or end your turn adjacent to it. If none of these events occur by the end of your turn, the marked condition ends and you can’t use divine challenge on your next turn.

You can mark two, but if you can't attack or end up adjacent to both the Challenge ends on the one you didn't AND you can't use your Challenge next turn.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-14, 02:50 PM
You can mark two, but if you can't attack or end up adjacent to both the Challenge ends on the one you didn't AND you can't use your Challenge next turn.

True, though for a pitched battle this gives the Paladin much more control. And a Elven Paladin-Ranger can just attack both of them every turn with his Longbow :smallbiggrin:

Man, that'd be a terrible build :smalltongue: