PDA

View Full Version : The Passing of Patch

evisiron
2008-11-14, 12:45 PM
Today my dog has been put down after reaching a grand old age of over a hundred (in doggy years). She had become very weak over the last week, and a vet confirmed that this was the right way to go as she would only suffer more as the condition got worse.

For those that do not know her, this is her image:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/evisiron/Patch.jpg

We spent a while reminiscing about her quirks and achievements.
She would bark at everything and everyone until she got close enough to give them a lick.
She would chase rabbits any chance she got. Of course, there wasn't a mean bone in her body so the only time the rabbit froze in terror, Patch got confused and stood barking at it until it took off again.
She loved the snow, and would leap for any snowballs thrown to her despite the brain-freeze.
She loved running across the fields around our house, and there is one little piece of barbed wire that collected tufts of white fur as she never remembered to drop her tail down on the way through.
She loved football, and even learned to pass the ball back so it could be kicked for her again.

And we loved her. She was a truly fantastic dog.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-14, 12:48 PM
She was very, very pretty.
I'm sorry for your loss :smallfrown:

someonenonotyou
2008-11-14, 12:51 PM
im sorry for your loss

ghost_warlock
2008-11-14, 12:51 PM
When I was a little boy, about 4-6 years old, my dad had a dog that looked just like that. He was named Wiggles.

He used to eat my Sesame Street books. :smallfrown:

Er... :smalleek:

My condolences. :smallfrown:

Dirk Kris
2008-11-14, 12:53 PM
So sorry - they really are man's best friend.

AKA_Bait
2008-11-14, 12:59 PM
My condolences. I recently lost my own pooch, so I know how you feel.

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-14, 01:02 PM
Losing a pet is hard, very hard.

My sympathies go out to you.

arguskos
2008-11-14, 01:04 PM
My condolences. I lost my dog some time ago, and miss him still. I just hope you made the best of your time with her, and it sounds like you did. Hold on to those memories, and do not weep for the past. /hugs

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-14, 01:04 PM
Reminds me of our dogs, both of whom passed away over the past few years. You did the right thing in letting go, I know too many who have made that mistake and tried to keep them alive when it is not in their best interests.

Condolences.

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-14, 01:44 PM
:smallfrown: After losing my first dog I sat and cried for more than an hour. He had some kind of horrible skin cancer and had to be put down.
She's a very pretty dog. My sincere condolences.

Inhuman Bot
2008-11-14, 03:13 PM
Today my dog was put down as well, so I know how terrable it must feel...
AT least your dog had managed to live a long and happy life...

if anyone cares, my dog was about 22 in dog years...

de-trick
2008-11-14, 05:29 PM
i feel so sorry for your loss, I remebered how it feels to lose a dog, but wasnt put down, i wish I got to say good bye to my old dog, but it must of been a hard choice:smallfrown:

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-11-14, 08:27 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's always hard to lose a pet, especially one like a cat or a dog. You can get very close to them.

You have my sympathy.

Thiel
2008-11-14, 08:39 PM
My condolences.
I've never had a dog, but I've lost about three dozen cats over the years. (Living near a major road, having horses and a neighbour with a huge dog will do that)

ColonelFuster
2008-11-14, 08:53 PM
BAAWWWW.
Poor ol' thing. Are you going to get a new dog soon?

Flame of Anor
2008-11-15, 02:25 AM
I'm really sorry about your dog. I've never had a dog, but I've lost two rabbits, and that was hard. :smallfrown:

Myatar_Panwar
2008-11-15, 02:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Patch.

Brings up some sad feeling's within myself. About a year ago, a little chihuahua I had, about a year old, slipped off a rocking chair which messed with her spine. She was limping for a little bit, but it didn't seem too serious. Then my dad woke me up in the middle of the night, telling me that she has been getting worse. We drive to the vet, and they tell us that in order for her to keep going, she would require major surgery and the help of some sort of prosthetic for the rest of her life. Thats just not right, especially for a dog. And its not like we had the money anyway. We had to put her down. My dad didn't want to have to put the nurse through an execution, so he decided to do it himself. It was one of the saddest days of my young life. Though I've always felt worse for my dad. Hes a tough man, but this little dog was certainly one of his soft spots. He loved that dog more than any of us did, and we cared a great deal for her.

KerfuffleMach2
2008-11-15, 02:48 AM
Aw. I lost a dog too. But, in a much different way...

Anywho, I feel for you. My condolences.

Felixaar
2008-11-15, 04:55 AM
And though it's our last night, my sweet kitty-pie,
Believe it or not theres no tear in my eye,
Because no matter what happens you'll be by my side,
That seat next to me, in spirit, you'll ride

-Felina's Song, by Me.

I know how you feel. *hugs*

Elm11
2008-11-15, 07:02 AM
I can remember some years back, when my adorble cockatiel was ill and had to go to the vet, hearing my mum say over the phone, as tears welled in her eyes:

"alright, we'll come pick her up, and make her a little grave in the garden"

i cried for 2 hours.

Condolences

Headless_Ninja
2008-11-15, 12:46 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss, and for those of all those who have posted here. Patch looks and sounds like she was a wonderful friend, and I'm sure your're very proud to have had her.

Syka
2008-11-15, 03:05 PM
The way she's sitting and all reminds me of my boyfriends dog (13 or so year old beagle/husky mix). I'm so scared about whenever she passes. :smallfrown: He's had her since he was about 10 or so.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Cheers,
Syka