PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Ranged Bullrushing?

Fax Celestis
2008-11-14, 02:34 PM
I know there's Ranged Disarm and Ranged Pin feats. Is there something that lets an archer character do a Ranged Bullrush?

afroakuma
2008-11-14, 02:46 PM
Not that I am aware of. Ranged Pin and Ranged Disarm, in general, make more sense. I understand the concept of being able to push something back at a range; I expect you'd need a specialized ranged weapon (read: boulder) or a composite bow at the very least, if there is such a feat.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-14, 02:53 PM
Well, I was thinking a kind of special crossbow bolt. I have this idea for a fighter with a rapier in one hand and a hand crossbow in the other, using TWF and that School feat from Drow of the Underdark (edit: or maybe some other book: a quick glance-through of DotU appears I'm misremembering edit 2: AHA There it is! Versatile combattant, spoilered below...) that gives special bonuses for fighting rapier/crossbow.

The reason I ask was from looking at the Dungeoncrasher sub levels from Dungeonscape. Bull-rush your opponent with a crossbow into a wall for 4d6 extra! Was also considering Piercing Attack from PHB-II, but that qualifies melee-only. I might be able to get it past a DM, but that'd require their approval.

Versatile Combatant: Dex 15, rapier and hand crossbow proficiency; gain TWF when fighting rapier/hand crossbow, don't provoke when firing a hand crossbow in melee

Meat Shield
2008-11-14, 02:58 PM
Sounds like you want a telekinesis spell cast on a missile weapon, and use the bull rush effect from the spell. I'd go through the normal magic item creation process using the TK spell as a basis. Alternatively, would a spell storing weapon with TK stored in it be possible?

Telonius
2008-11-14, 02:59 PM
Outside of the Telekinesis spell? Nothing that I can find.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-14, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you want a telekinesis spell cast on a missile weapon, and use the bull rush effect from the spell. I'd go through the normal magic item creation process using the TK spell as a basis. Alternatively, would a spell storing weapon with TK stored in it be possible?

Ooh, I hadn't even considered that. I'll have to look into that, even if it may be expensive.

afroakuma
2008-11-14, 03:02 PM
Check the Magic Item Compendium first, I'd say. There may be an ability there that would transfer telekinesis from the crossbow to the bolts.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-14, 03:04 PM
...oh. Oh hey.

What about a crossbow that fires telekinesis?

EDIT: Though it may be better to do it as a psionic item that fires telekinetic thrust.

afroakuma
2008-11-14, 03:05 PM
That would be even better!

I think they call that something... a wand? :smallwink:

There should be force bolts or something...

Lapak
2008-11-14, 03:06 PM
You need to draw inspiration from the likes of Green Arrow and pull out the boxing-glove-bolt. A little difficult to fit into a quiver, but them's the breaks.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-14, 03:09 PM

That would defeat the purpose of being a fighter, but I see what you're saying.

There should. I'm surprised, honestly, that this doesn't exist yet.

Darrin
2008-11-14, 03:10 PM
I know there's Ranged Disarm and Ranged Pin feats. Is there something that lets an archer character do a Ranged Bullrush?

Check Person_Man's "Flaming Homer, the Bowling Ball of Doom" build:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22

The Hulking Hurler has an ability to use Power Attack on a thrown weapon within 30', and the Knockback feat will give you a free bull rush whenever you use Power Attack. It's a full-round action to throw with both hands, however.

The best way would probably be Bloodstorm Blade, treat all your thrown attacks as melee attacks.

afroakuma
2008-11-14, 03:10 PM
Homebrew time yet?

I'll run through my books when I get home; something like this should exist.

hamishspence
2008-11-14, 03:13 PM
Player's handbook 2 has Arrows that could pierce multiple people with Penetrating shot feat.

Haven't seen a Ranged Bullrush, apart from 4th ed's Great Ram Arrow. maybe.

also Knockback property from Magic Item Compendium can be applied to any weapon, and knocks target back 5 ft.

Meat Shield
2008-11-14, 03:15 PM
...oh. Oh hey.

What about a crossbow that fires telekinesis?

EDIT: Though it may be better to do it as a psionic item that fires telekinetic thrust.

All I am thinking about now are those Air-zookas.http://www.sillyasstoys.com/ProductImages/airzooka_full.jpg

afroakuma
2008-11-14, 03:15 PM
I've used them. They're awesome. Could use more power, though.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-14, 03:18 PM
All I am thinking about now is those Air-zookas.http://www.sillyasstoys.com/ProductImages/airzooka_full.jpg

That was pretty much the idea. Except, you know, pushing people into walls and smoooooooooooshing them.

afroakuma
2008-11-14, 03:20 PM
Clearly, you have never been the victim of a proper Airzooka attack.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-14, 03:25 PM
Clearly, you have never been the victim of a proper Airzooka attack.

Clearly so.

Drascin
2008-11-14, 03:32 PM

Go Marksman (from Dreamscarred Press's Untapped Potential. You get the ability to coat your arrows with a kinetic force for a nominal power point cost. But as written, it only sends enemies prone, not bullrushes.

However, the Marksman's Thrown Weapon style does have an ability that allows him to forego the damage in a thrown weapon attack to turn it into a bullrush.

tonberrian
2008-11-14, 03:53 PM
I can't get you crossbow bolts that bullrush opponents, but I can get you the next best thing: thrown weapons that do.

Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Throw (ToB) treats thrown attacks as melee attacks and thus lets you use power attack with them. Combine that with Knockback (RoS), and your thrown attacks will give free bullrushes as long as you power attack with them. Thunderous Throw will eat your swift actions, though.

afroakuma
2008-11-14, 09:19 PM
So far, I've found the Dislocator property (teleports the stuck foe 10 ft)

Fax Celestis
2008-11-14, 09:21 PM
So far, I've found the Dislocator property (teleports the stuck foe 10 ft)

See, that's neat, but it wouldn't, say, activate Dungeoncrasher.

arguskos
2008-11-14, 09:28 PM
Uh, better than the Telekinesis spell is the Battering Ram spell, from Spell Compendium. It punches open doors, can bull rush people, and is lower lever than Telekinesis (a pricing consideration). Just thought I'd toss that out there. :smallwink:

afroakuma
2008-11-14, 10:14 PM
What if I offered you... Greater Dislocator? (30 ft., direction of your choosing)

Since I have no idea what Dungeoncrusher is.

Meat Shield
2008-11-14, 10:28 PM
Uh, better than the Telekinesis spell is the Battering Ram spell, from Spell Compendium. It punches open doors, can bull rush people, and is lower lever than Telekinesis (a pricing consideration). Just thought I'd toss that out there. :smallwink:

This gets my vote - I don't have SpC so hooray for greater knowledge!

Signmaker
2008-11-14, 10:41 PM
What if I offered you... Greater Dislocator? (30 ft., direction of your choosing)

Since I have no idea what Dungeoncrusher is.

Dungeoncrasher requires the opponent to be bull-rushed in to a wall. Doing so grants extra damage.

ColdSepp
2008-11-14, 11:42 PM
Dungeoncrasher is a variant Fighter from DungeonScape. I used it (and Knockback) with a Goliath Warblade. Good times.

KKL
2008-11-15, 12:17 AM

Actually, the correct term would be Dorje, for Psionic Wands.

Fizban
2008-11-15, 07:25 AM
I can't get you crossbow bolts that bullrush opponents, but I can get you the next best thing: thrown weapons that do.

Bloodstorm Blade's Thunderous Throw (ToB) treats thrown attacks as melee attacks and thus lets you use power attack with them. Combine that with Knockback (RoS), and your thrown attacks will give free bullrushes as long as you power attack with them. Thunderous Throw will eat your swift actions, though.
Plus you can still use it with the hand crossbow, it's just that instead of shooting people with it, you're throwing it at them.

If I remember right, the Battering Ram spell specifically says it's a bull rush too. So make some Battering Bolts or something. Bonus points if you blast open the door shotgun style.

BobVosh
2008-11-15, 07:31 AM
How come noone has mentioned shrink item? There is a thread like every other week on how to use it. This time shrink a ballista bolt and enlarge midair to have fun.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-15, 07:33 AM
How come noone has mentioned shrink item? There is a thread like every other week on how to use it. This time shrink a ballista bolt and enlarge midair to have fun.Well, if you're going to do that, you might as well just cast Launch Bolt.

kjones
2008-11-15, 09:52 AM
I could have sworn that there was a Bolt of Battering Ram, though I might be getting it confused with the Ring of the Ram. Maybe it's in 2nd edition?

If you have them, check 2nd edition and/or Hackmaster books for solutions that will probably adapt readily to 3rd edition.

Flashlight
2008-11-15, 08:06 PM
In Complete Scoundrel, there is the Rod of Ropes or something like that which can be used to bull-rush people from a distance, among other uses.