PDA

View Full Version : Daelkyr Monster Class

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-11-14, 10:24 PM
This daelkyr is one pandering to those of my setting, where the only difference is a typical alignment and different alignment subtype, since they're the little intelligent pollups of the elder gods, and beings of chaos.
--

Daelkyr Monster Class
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82151.jpg
Daelkyr come in...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/lom_gallery/88172.jpg
...all sorts of horrifying...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MotP/Far_Realm_Entity.jpg
...shapes and...'designs'.

Outsider (Chaos, Extraplanar)
The daelkyr are creatures of entropic intelligence and influence over the darkest corners of the multiverse, and the overgrown cancerous pollups that once grew on the backs of elder creatures. Though their larva grow in the Far Realm, and most daelkyr reside there, many daelkyr will spread themselves over the planes to spread their madness and terrifying influence. These creatures can come in all sorts of shapes and frames, from almost angelic humanoids to things that cannot be described with mere words. Though each one's appearance is different, they all share the same feeling to them that something just isn't right, being it a subtle or obvious sign.

Racial Traits

Starting Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Int, +2 Cha. Daelkyrs are utterly alien beings, giving them great intelligence of things we cannot know, and an aura of dominance and guile.
Speed: Daelkyr base land speed is 40 feet.
Darkvision: Daelkyr can see in the dark out to 60 feet.
Daelkyr Immunities: A daelkyr is immune to disease, poison, ability damage, transmutation, and mind-affecting spells and abilities.
Automatic Languages: Common and Daelkyr
Favored Class: Daelkyr.

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently, Perform (all), Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble and Use Magic Device.

{table="head"]Level|HD|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skill-points|CR|Special
1st|1d8|+1|+2|+2|+2|(8+Int modifier)x4|1|Feat, slam 1d3, natural symbionts, aura of madness (daze, full-round action)
2nd|1d8|+1|+2|+2|+2|-|1|+2 Str, +2 Dex, +3 natural armor
3rd|2d8|+2|+3|+3|+3|8+Int modifier|2|+2 Int, corrupting touch 1, alien mind (daze)
4th|3d8|+3|+3|+3|+3|8+Int modifier|3|Feat, +2 Con, +2 Wis, aura of madness (daze, standard action)
5th|4d8|+4|+4|+4|+4|8+Int modifier|4|+2 Dex, fast healing 1, DR 5/good
6th|5d8|+5|+4|+4|+4|8+Int modifier|5|+2 Str, +2 Int, symbiont mastery
7th|5d8|+5|+4|+4|+4|-|5|+2 Wis, corrupting touch 1d2, +6 natural armor
8th|6d8|+6|+5|+5|+5|8+Int modifier|6|+2 Cha, +2 Dex, feat, aura of madness (daze, move action)
9th|7d8|+7|+5|+5|+5|8+Int modifier|7|+2 Str, second symbiont, lesser daelkyr powers
10th|8d8|+8|+6|+6|+6|8+Int modifier|8|+2 Int, +2 Wis, fast healing 2, spell resistance
11th|9d8|+9|+6|+6|+6|8+Int modifier|9|Feat, +2 Con, corrupting touch 1d3, alien mind (confusion), +9 natural armor
12th|9d8|+9|+6|+6|+6|-|9|+2 Con, +2 Cha, DR 10/good
13th|10d8|+10|+7|+7|+7|8+Int modifier|10|+2 Cha, aura of madness (confusion, move action)
14th|11d8|+11|+7|+7|+7|8+Int modifier|11|+2 Dex, +2 Int, daelkyr powers
15th|12d8|+12|+8|+8|+8|8+Int modifier|12|Feat, +2 Str, fast healing 3, corrupting touch 1d4, +12 natural armor
16th|13d8|+13|+8|+8|+8|8+Int modifier|13|+2 Str, +2 Con, alien mind (insanity)
17th|13d8|+13|+8|+8|+8|-|13|Aura of madness (confusion, free action)
18th|14d8|+14|+9|+9|+9|8+Int modifier|14|+2 Cha, +2 Wis, corrupting touch 1d6
19th|15d8|+15|+9|+9|+9|8+Int modifier|15|Feat, +2 Int, greater daelkyr powers
20th|16d8|+16|+10|+10|+10|8+Int modifier|16|+2 Str, fast healing 4
21st|17d8|+17|+10|+10|+10|8+Int modifier|17|+2 Con, +2 Int
22nd|17d8|+17|+10|+10|+10|-|17|+2 Dex, +2 Con
23rd|18d8|+18|+11|+11|+11|8+Int modifier|18|Feat, greatest daelkyr powers
24th|19d8|+19|+11|+11|+11|8+Int modifier|19|+2 Wis, +Cha
25th|20d8|+20|+12|+12|+12|8+Int modifier|20|+2 Con, fast healing 5
[/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Daelkyr are automatically proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are not proficient with any armors or shields. Daelkyr are also automatically proficient with any symbionts that mimic weapons or armor.

Feats: A daelkyr receives one feat at first level and additional ones at 4th, 8th, 15th, and 23rd. After 25th level it gains feats normally according to class levels and HD (which requires epic level advancement rules; see Epic Level Handbook for more information).

Natural Symbionts (Ex): All daelkyr begin play with one personal symbiont that they can pick from the following list: breed leech, crawling gauntlet, or throwing scarab. If a personal symbiont is lost, a daelkyr can grow a replacement from his own flesh over a period of 2d4 days. A daelkyr can't grow or regrow symbionts that he has gained in any other manner, nor can a daelkyr grow a replacement for a symbiont if the original symbiont yet lives.
As a daelkyr advances in level, he can grow a new personal smybiont as indicated on the table below. Any new personal symbiont grown replaces the old symbiont. A daelkyr can choose additional symbionts from the list provided above, as well as from new choices as they become available, as indicated on the table.
At 9th level, you can grow a second personal symbiont, following all the same rules as the first
{table="head"]Level|Choices*
1st|Breed leech, crawling gauntlet, throwing scarab
5th|Stormstalk, winter cyst
10th|Living breastplate, spellwurm, tentacle whip
15th|Tongue worm
[/table]
*All choices from an earlier level are also available to a higher-level daelkyr.

Aura of Madness (Su): At will as a full-round action, a daelkyr can trigger a 20-foot-radius burst of mental chaos centered on itself. Any other creature in the area must succeed on a Will save (DC 10+half HD+Cha modifier) or be affected as by the daze monster spell(CL equal to your HD). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same daelkyr's aura of madness for 24 hours. This ability is a mind-affecting compulsion effect. The save DC is Cha-based.
At 4th level, this ability is usable as a standard action, and a move action at 8th. At 13th level those who fail their saves are instead affected by the confusion spell(with the same caster level) and at 17th level it's usable as a free action.

Corrupting Touch (Su): A daelkyr of 3rd level and higher possesses the innate power to twist and corrupt any creature that it touches. On a successful touch attack, grapple check, or slam attack, a daelkyr deals 1 point of damage to an ability score of the daelkyr's choosing (no save). A daelkyr with a tentacle whip can channel this power through it with a successful attack.
At 7th level, the damage dealt with this attack is 1d2, at 11th level it increases to 1d3, 1d4 at 15th level and 1d6 at 18th level.

Alien Mind (Ex): The mind of a daelkyr is a labyrinth that can swallow the thoughts of lesser creature. Any creature who attempts to read the thoughts of a daelkyr or otherwise study its mind must make a Will save (DC 10+half HD+Cha modifier) or suffer the effects of the daze monster spell. This is a Cha-based save.
At 11th level the effects of this ability are of the confusion spell, and at 16th level they are of the insanity spell.

Fast Healing: The skin of a daelkyr is adept at closing it's wounds and closing unfortunate holes. The daelkyr gains fast healing 1 at 5th level, which increases by one every five levels, to fast healing 5 at 25th level.

Symbiont Mastery (Ex): A daelkyr has complete control over any symbionts attached to its body. It maintains full control over the use of each symbionts special abilities and can attach or detach a symbiont as a full-round action. More important, a daelkyr can power the abilities of a symbiont by substituting 5 hit points for 1 point of ability damage; the daelkyr's fast healing ability may offset this hit point damage.

Damage Reduction: The daelkyr's skin is not only good at repairing damage done to itself, but it is also capable of ignoring it. At 5th level the daelkyr receives DR 5/good, which increases to DR 10/good at 12th level. To overcome the damage reduction of a daelkyr wearing a living breastplate, the weapon must be both good and byeshk.

Lesser Daelkyr Powers (Sp): At 9th level, a daelkyr is capable of using dimension door, haste, mind fog and slow as spell-like ability at will with a caster level equal to it's HD.

Spell Resistance: A daelkyr of 10th level and higher has spell resistance of 8 plus it's hit dice from any source.

Daelkyr Powers (Sp): At 14th level, a daelkyr is capable of using polymorph and feeblemind at will as spell-like abilities, as well as flesh to stone and stone to flesh both three times per day with a caster level equal to it's HD.

Greater Daelkyr Powers (Sp): At 19th level, a daelkyr is capable of using baleful polymorph and confusion at will as spell-like abilities with a caster level equal to it's HD.

Greatest Daelkyr Powers (Sp): At 23rd level, a daelkyr is capable of using insanity and polymorph any object as spell-like abilities three times per day with a caster level equal to it's HD.

Stycotl
2008-11-14, 11:05 PM
sweet! this could work wonders in something i've been dreaming up....

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-11-16, 01:13 AM
Bump for more comments.

Primal Fury
2008-11-16, 06:15 PM
Hm. I like the concept. You could be a polyp that just gained sentience, and go on adventures throughout the far realm and onther planes... but... I fail to see how this really makes them different.

I mean I understand that there are asthetics and whatnot, but if you base a whole campaign off this, then you and your friends are basically playing the same character.

Unless of course you make room for custumization. It's often said the daelkyr have areas of expertice, or "hobbies" one might say. Maybe that could be taken into account.

MammonAzrael
2008-11-16, 06:59 PM
Looks very cool.

I may have missed it but...what exactly do the symbionts do?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-11-16, 07:09 PM
Hm. I like the concept. You could be a polyp that just gained sentience, and go on adventures throughout the far realm and onther planes... but... I fail to see how this really makes them different.

I mean I understand that there are asthetics and whatnot, but if you base a whole campaign off this, then you and your friends are basically playing the same character.

Unless of course you make room for custumization. It's often said the daelkyr have areas of expertice, or "hobbies" one might say. Maybe that could be taken into account.

I suppose nothing but personality and build. I wasn't designing it to make sure each daelkyr is completely different. The aberrant differences from daelkyr to daelkyr in my setting is purely aesthetic and because it would be cool.

Looks very cool.

I may have missed it but...what exactly do the symbionts do?

Check out Eberron Campaign Setting and Magic of Eberron.

Prometheus
2008-11-16, 07:18 PM
Very nice, I like how this monster encounter can be scaled as needed but also seems to receive new goodies as it advances. All the abilities and fluff are dead on. I would say that it might not have enough life, but I believe the fast healing and DR make up for it.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-11-16, 08:48 PM
Wow, I don't think I've ever felt stupider. I missed the natural armor bonuses to AC before. They're in there now.
:redface:

wadledo
2008-11-16, 08:53 PM
AHHHHHHRRRRRRRRGGGG!
Stop it!
Stop making such awesome homebrew!
:smallfurious:

:smalltongue: