PDA

View Full Version : What is Hayley's Secondary Weapon?

Veneficus
2008-11-15, 11:46 AM
In all the comics I have read I don't believe I have ever seen Haley without her bow. Given the current situation this is a little worrying. Can anybody recall her with a different weapon?

Calamity
2008-11-15, 11:48 AM
In all the comics I have read I don't believe I have ever seen Haley without her bow. Given the current situation this is a little worrying. Can anybody recall her with a different weapon?

Actually, Haley did borrow Elan's rapier in the first fight with Miko. But Elan's not around, so...

Moriarty
2008-11-15, 11:50 AM
she also owns a sap, from the guy who was killed by the wights in ac

Miraqariftsky
2008-11-15, 11:56 AM
The other weapons that we've seen Haley use throughout the story were...

...unarmed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0100.html) strikes
(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0104.html)
...Elan's rapier (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html)

...and a sap... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0577.html)which was apparently taken from the fallen Isamu. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0521.html)

Veneficus
2008-11-15, 12:00 PM
Okay. I am not so worried any more. Thanks for clearing that up everyone. :smallsmile:

Miraqariftsky
2008-11-15, 12:05 PM
Well, good fer ye and yer still jolly well welcome.

But then, is Improved Unarmed Strike that good a feat for an archer-rogue to take? Unless she's keeping a stash of magical rapiers in her Bag of Holding (does she still even have that?), she'll have to stop and take a weapon from one of the other rogues she'd killed in order to defend herself... and even then, she'll still be severely outmatched by the +4 dagger Crystal's using.

Veneficus
2008-11-15, 12:17 PM
Oh, I still believe that running is the best thing she could do at the moment. I am just glad that she's not totally defenceless against Crystal.

TengYt
2008-11-15, 12:50 PM
She could always use Roy's greatsword, I guess.

someonenonotyou
2008-11-15, 01:00 PM
she could just easly out smart her just tell her hey guess what fire taste like bacon or something like that

Chronos
2008-11-15, 01:06 PM
But then, is Improved Unarmed Strike that good a feat for an archer-rogue to take?She almost certainly doesn't have it. You can still make unarmed strikes without the feat; they just provoke attacks of opportunity if your opponent is armed. She could avoid those by attacking from hiding, but it still puts her at a disadvantage.

She has, however, also been seen using arrows as improvised melee weapons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0398.html). That removes the AoO problem, but also imposes a -4 to attack rolls. On the other hand, some of her arrows might be magical.

Isamu's sap, if she still has it, wouldn't have any penalties, but it also wouldn't have any bonuses. It also does nonlethal damage, like unarmed strikes, meaning that she has to either take extra time to finish enemies off, or risk them coming to if the fight goes long.

She's not proficient with Roy's greatsword, so that would give a -4 penalty, but that's more than offset by the fact that it's a +5 weapon. And it also has the best base damage of any of her potential weapons (though that's not all that relevant, given Sneak Attack). So unless she has some really nice arrow in reserve, the sword is her best option, if she can get to it.

Querzis
2008-11-15, 01:29 PM

No she doesnt have a secondary weapon. Just like Roy doesnt have a secondary weapon, Durkon doesnt have a secondary weapon and Elan doesnt have a secondary weapon. Everyone in the OOTS world is sub-optimized...except probably Xykon.

NerfTW
2008-11-15, 01:43 PM
That and it's a part of her character. She's always relied on backup. Every time she's been seperated from the party, she loses any effectiveness.

It's a contradiction in her personality. She doesn't want to open up and trust people, but in the end, she's been putting her safety in their hands from the start, always assuming that she'll have one of the melee characters as backup in a fight.

The situation with the sap and her current predicament are probably going to lead to her realizing that she needs to take a more active role in her development. This whole separation storyline is a way to force her to realize she needs to be strong enough to fend for herself alone.

the_tick_rules
2008-11-15, 02:03 PM
Given her rogue nature it's plausible she has a dagger hidden on her person somewhere. If she has her bags of holding handy who knows what's hidden in there?

Calamity
2008-11-15, 03:23 PM
No she doesnt have a secondary weapon. Just like Roy doesnt have a secondary weapon, Durkon doesnt have a secondary weapon and Elan doesnt have a secondary weapon. Everyone in the OOTS world is sub-optimized...except probably Xykon.

So, explain to me what Roy's greatclub is then?

hamishspence
2008-11-15, 03:26 PM
an item gotten well after breaking his swords. In fact, in middle of forest. See Paladin Blues bonus strips. Roy's Not carrying a secondary weapon, and even selling one of the ones he got in Xykon's treasure, is sniffed at by Haley. So he breaks a branch and makes a club.

Oddly, he manages to not spot the Sword tree only a few yards away.

EyethatBinds
2008-11-15, 03:41 PM
Haley's backup weapon: Running.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-15, 03:51 PM
Bluff checks.

Probably more effective than her bow against Crystal.

T-O-E
2008-11-15, 03:52 PM
Haley's backup weapon: Running.

I disagree.

Haley's secondary weapon: Bluff checks.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Shades of Gray
2008-11-15, 04:00 PM

A weapon to use while his sword was broken. He got the greatclub because clubs cost 0 gp as per the PHB.

hamishspence
2008-11-15, 04:03 PM
and in the bonus strip, he made it himself.

Calamity
2008-11-15, 04:08 PM
an item gotten well after breaking his swords. In fact, in middle of forest. See Paladin Blues bonus strips. Roy's Not carrying a secondary weapon, and even selling one of the ones he got in Xykon's treasure, is sniffed at by Haley. So he breaks a branch and makes a club.

Oddly, he manages to not spot the Sword tree only a few yards away.

I am not to know this as I am unable to purchase the books, much to my disdain.

hamishspence
2008-11-15, 04:12 PM
i wonder if they can be ordered?

I've got them all, so it wasn't as big a puzzle for me.

Ridureyu
2008-11-15, 04:33 PM
We're going to learn what Haley's secondary weapon is really fast, because it's all she's going to use for the next 256 strips or so.

Warlord JK
2008-11-15, 05:18 PM
We're going to learn what Haley's secondary weapon is really fast, because it's all she's going to use for the next 256 strips or so.

Where do we get 256 strips? Also, Haley doesn't have a secondary weapon, unless you count bluffing. She has always relied on her bow because she has never been in a fight against melee without Belkar, Durkon, Roy, or Elan there to help.

Spiky
2008-11-15, 05:56 PM
Where do we get 256 strips? Also, Haley doesn't have a secondary weapon, unless you count bluffing. She has always relied on her bow because she has never been in a fight against melee without Belkar, Durkon, Roy, or Elan there to help.

I'd say he pulled "256" out of his imagination.

And look up a few posts to see Haley in non-bow action.

hamishspence
2008-11-15, 05:57 PM
How long was it between "You Broke My Sword" and reforging? Or between Wooden Forest and reforging?

just checked- in absence of bonus strips 151 was first one with club, 298 first strip with sword again.

which is about 146 strips with club being his weapon.

awibs
2008-11-15, 06:08 PM

Something he comes up with after they make fun of him numerous times for not having a secondary weapon and being useless unarmed.

Ridureyu
2008-11-15, 06:21 PM
Where do we get 256 strips?

Taking figurative strips literally FTW! I typed the number at random. Trying to calculate the exact number of Roy-Club strips and then attempting to "disprove" my statement is kind of silly, really.

Dark_Stryke
2008-11-15, 06:41 PM
Taking figurative strips literally FTW! I typed the number at random. Trying to calculate the exact number of Roy-Club strips and then attempting to "disprove" my statement is kind of silly, really.

Yeah, but reforging Roy's sword was a major storyline thing. Haley's bow just isn't that special.

Remember when Belker sundered Elan's rapier by yelling? How long did it take him to get a new one? Not very.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-15, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure why this hasn't been mentioned yet but since when do rogues have greatsword/greatclub proficiency?

TengYt
2008-11-15, 06:46 PM
Roy's Greatsword is +5, making it still useful even if you aren't proficient in it.

hamishspence
2008-11-15, 06:49 PM
for precedent, it did take a long time- but- they were in a dungeon and got lucky. What chance is Haley going to have to afford a good longbow when she's saving the money for Roy? I suppose she might be lucky enough to face another Thieves Guild member with one.

NerfTW
2008-11-16, 09:24 AM
Yeah, but reforging Roy's sword was a major storyline thing. Haley's bow just isn't that special.

Remember when Belker sundered Elan's rapier by yelling? How long did it take him to get a new one? Not very.

Twelve strips, to be precise:

Stip #17- sword is sundered. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0017.html)
Strip #28- Elan receives a new sword from the room Haley scouted. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html)

-edit- Maths R hard.

cheesecake
2008-11-16, 11:59 AM
there are dead NPCs around she can grab a weapon.

Glyde
2008-11-16, 12:07 PM
I'm hoping to see an "NON PROFICIENT GREATSWORD SNEAK ATTACK" soon. That'll be fun.

Mike_the_Mystic
2008-11-16, 12:15 PM
Yea I think that she just has her sap, and her fists/feet. Hopefully she gets a secondary weapon really quick or she might be meeting roy, and I'm not talking about ressurection. :eek:

hamishspence
2008-11-16, 12:17 PM
Unless Leading The Resistance has made her significantly more Lawful, her meeting Roy would be a surprise.

Zolem
2008-11-16, 12:26 PM
I'm hoping to see an "NON PROFICIENT GREATSWORD SNEAK ATTACK" soon. That'll be fun.

Sorry, the ruels explicitly state you have to be proficient to sneak attack. Good thing she should still have the sap. True, the damage in non-lethal, but ti still adds the sneak attack dice, helping her to KO a foe or three.

Spiryt
2008-11-16, 12:31 PM
Sorry, the ruels explicitly state you have to be proficient to sneak attack. Good thing she should still have the sap. True, the damage in non-lethal, but ti still adds the sneak attack dice, helping her to KO a foe or three.

Can I ask where? There is nothing about it in Sneak Attack section.

Zolem
2008-11-16, 12:58 PM
Can I ask where? There is nothing about it in Sneak Attack section.

Rules Compendium.

Ronan
2008-11-16, 02:29 PM

Right, it's not just Roy's weapon. It's the Greenhilt Sword

Moriarty
2008-11-16, 04:05 PM
im wondering... if she decides to use roys sword, would she be able to see his ghost?

hamishspence
2008-11-16, 04:08 PM
I think somebody already touched the sword back in Azure city when Roy was there- no effect. It might have to be Julia.

Shpadoinkle
2008-11-16, 04:49 PM
im wondering... if she decides to use roys sword, would she be able to see his ghost?

I doubt it. I think it was said somewhere that you have to have Greenhilt blood for that particular property to kick in.

Moriarty
2008-11-16, 04:57 PM
I think somebody already touched the sword back in Azure city when Roy was there- no effect. It might have to be Julia.

yeah, but those who toutched it were random NPCs wo didnÄt even know roy, Haley on the other hand at least adventured with him for some time.

I doubt it. I think it was said somewhere that you have to have Greenhilt blood for that particular property to kick in.

it was said somewhere? linky plz?

Linkavitch
2008-11-16, 05:05 PM
I hope she gets an awesome new bow, like +4 or 5, and jet black.

NerfTW
2008-11-16, 05:27 PM

No, the only thing we know is that holding the sword does not allow someone to see or hear Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0534.html).

Shpadoinkle
2008-11-16, 09:06 PM
yeah, but those who toutched it were random NPCs wo didnÄt even know roy, Haley on the other hand at least adventured with him for some time.

it was said somewhere? linky plz?

... I don't have a link to it. Note that I said I THINK it was said somewhere.

Warlord JK
2008-11-16, 11:41 PM
No, the only thing we know is that holding the sword does not allow someone to see or hear Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0534.html).

This could be because the person didn't know Roy at all. We have never seen Haley or someone who knows Roy hold it.

LtNOWIS
2008-11-17, 03:11 AM
there are dead NPCs around she can grab a weapon.
I'm thinking that's the best course of action. There are a lot of daggers lying around, and she can sneak attack with them. Still a pretty desperate situation.

Firewind
2008-12-01, 04:28 AM
Yea I think that she just has her sap, and her fists/feet. Hopefully she gets a secondary weapon really quick or she might be meeting roy, and I'm not talking about ressurection. :eek:

Wouldn't she be more likely to meet Shojo than Roy? :smalltongue: