PDA

View Full Version : What is the most absurd/crazy/funny/unusual plot or plothook you have gotten away wit

newbDM
2008-11-15, 05:56 PM
I don't know whether it was my sleep deprived delirium, or just my usual DM style/humor, but while daydreaming a bit I started to remember the Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar song and it began to play in my hed. Then, for some unknown reason, I started to think about it's possible potential as a D&D (3.5) plothook.

Then I opened my eyes and saw this board on my screen, and I knew I had to ask what the veterans on here have done.

mostlyharmful
2008-11-15, 06:15 PM
Evil Commie Wombles coming for you in submarines.... armed with sophistry and psychohalucinagenic bee-hive catapults. That was a fun few sessions.

Yukitsu
2008-11-15, 06:19 PM
My character derailed the campaign by proclaiming assertively that he would "Seek the legendary wii-mote, excalimote." and since the party wasn't doing anything else, the DM rolled with it. When the DM asked, I remained in character by saying that "It was the first wii-mote ever made, embedded by the developer deep in the screen of a plasma television. They say whoever pulls forth excalimote from the television will be rightwise president born of nintendo."

And now I'm not allowed to influence the story as a PC anymore. :smallsmile:

Zenos
2008-11-15, 06:19 PM
Hunh, the worst I've had has been that the players were the Awakened pets of an archmage (gestalt, a wolf druidess who transformed into a human with wildshape and a wizard//rogue housecat who would sneak attack anybody who tried clapping him) trying to defend a city from demons and cultists trying to kill all the important people, and one campaign where the PC's were magical special forces, including a dwarf warblade who walked around with a huge hammer. They arrived at the battlezones in a zeppelin that shot fireball missiles.

Saintjebus
2008-11-15, 06:46 PM
I once pulled my characters into a dimensional rift that randomly changed their plane every session. The problem was that I rolled for each character, and so for about 6 sessions I had to run 4 different adventures. At one point, one was on Bytopia, two were on Arborea, and one was frozen with indecision on Mechanus.

valadil
2008-11-15, 07:19 PM
My games are pretty weird, but this one went a little too far in retrospect.

The mayor's beloved pet octopus is really an illithid who took over her brain and turned her against the PCs.

overduegalaxy
2008-11-15, 09:55 PM
As a DM, I got a group of level 16 characters to help an old lady find her dog.

Thrilling adventure in the city!

Katrascythe
2008-11-15, 10:39 PM
I had a friend who's character spent his entire existence looking for the most awesome recipe (as in cooking) in the world. This character would try to cook anything at all. His uncle was also a cook who mysteriously disappeared for doing the same thing. But yeah, we had to put up with him making our characters eat the stuff we just killed. *Bonus* His weapon was a frying pan.

LibraryOgre
2008-11-16, 01:06 AM
That DAMN chair.

This was in Palladium Fantasy. We were initially hired to steal something from a nearby noble, and were told we would know it when we saw it.

It was a giant wooden chair. Like, six feet tall, solid hardwood chair. Ornately carved.

So, we steal it. Start dragging it across country, with two noble houses chasing after us (cannot for the life of me remember why we didn't turn it over; I think we were double-crossed). And then the chair starts doing things. Like rocking back and forth. Like spinning around, making items fly across the room, and the like.

My character (a human demigoddess, statted out as an elven priest), finally got sick of it. She threatened it with an axe, and told it to cut that **** out, and just tell them what it wants them to know.

The DM sat there, stunned. Had no clue how to handle that.

But I'm still pissed about the goddamn chair.

BobVosh
2008-11-16, 01:23 AM
That DAMN chair.
*snip*

No. YOU DO NOT DO THAT! What happened?

In exalted I had the solar party looking for a soulsteel toilet to appease a ghost lord.

Prometheus
2008-11-16, 01:29 AM
One plothooks for 1st level characters was a standard your standard farmer-has-overgrown-insects-in-his-farm-and-needs-your-help. The players took a liking to the guy, who was incredibly inept at running his farm and could only offer the adventurers soup and blankets. Whenever the PCs got back to the home down, I had the farmer running up to them with another level-appropriate extermination sidequest. The problem was, that the power levels kept on getting more and more ridiculous as the players levels until I had to describe a full-jungle growing out of the center of a major city for no apparent reason. But the PCs loved it, so I kept it going. Eventually I tried to come up with a reason why this phenomenon was occurring, but we all knew it was arbitrary.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-16, 02:58 AM
I recently arranged for a highly amusing and derivative plot development in one of my games...it hasn't happened yet though, and I want it to be a surprise for the other players, at least one of whom is a compulsive spoiler-hound, so I won't say it.

Aside from that, a combination of backstory written while drunk and my GM's fanboyism once led to a simple game about attractive domestic servants getting invaded by Necrons, Necron-worshipping cultists, and Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

Oh, and there was that time I spun an entire longish mystery plot out of a line that was accidentally omitted from the character proposal sent to my DM (regarding a dead parent who was suddenly alive for the last 16 years). And derailing a published module by steadfast insistence on bargaining with robots instead of beating on them. And the regular musical interludes that pop up in everyone's plots, not just mine. Man, I love that game.

Ravyn
2008-11-16, 11:04 PM
I had two back to back sessions of Exalted that sort of qualify. Session 1: A fast-paced game of the local equivalent to Calvinball involving the PCs and a small mob of Sidereals. Particularly hilarious since only half the party knew that was what they were playing. Then it was followed immediately by an attempt to protect an entire city from a quintet of intruders using only maintenance and entertainment automata directed by remote. I don't know which I liked better--their defeating one of them by distracting her with the First Age equivalent to a DDR machine, or the showdown (http://exchangeofrealities.today.com/2008/08/25/when-little-things-take-over/) between the potted plant prank automaton known as Ayfmtn and the leader of the invading force. ZAP!

Mikeavelli
2008-11-17, 01:05 AM
The King has been kidnapped by Ninjas.

Are you a bad enough dude to save the king?

newbDM
2008-11-17, 01:13 AM

Is there supposed to be a video game reference in there somewhere? Do not recognize it.

BobVosh
2008-11-17, 01:21 AM

ROFL

Is there supposed to be a video game reference in there somewhere? Do not recognize it.

Maybe....

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-17, 01:30 AM

I'll explain it to you over a burger! Ha ha ha!

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-17, 01:33 AM
Well, for me, nothing tops the infamous "Goblin Siege Incident".

It was when my brother and I were young and stupid D&D players and we were all gonna do something with the Epic Level Handbook.

My brother's paladin got a free castle built by dwarves on an island on his very own private demiplane. So one day our epic characters are chillin' in his castle when the water outside drains away to reveal a horde of millions upon millions of goblins, with gnome submersibles, juggernauts and red dragons. And we were the only ones in the castle!

Hilarity ensued, culminating with my character trying to ride the paladin's mount over to him so I could assist him in fighting the goblins, failing my Ride check miserably which resulted in me flipping forward off the horse, and impaling myself on a goblin spear stuck in the ground, then looking up to see a massive, red, clawed foot descending towards me before I was squashed like a bug!

And then after the whole debacle, we woke up to find we had been ressurected by a mysterious force, the castle's refridgerator was empty and the Hieroneous symbols in the chapel on the top floor had been crossed out with Hextor symbols doodled on the walls. And the castle was otherwise unharmed. The water was still gone and littered with grounded gnome submersibles though.

Paul H
2008-11-18, 08:46 PM
Hi

Played a D&D 3.0/3.5 scenario some years ago with a special twist....

Started with players entering a strange mist, then ending up in a cool flat area. Stars in the clear sky not recognised. Major landmark was a wide strange dak path, with strange repeating white runes in the middle.

Shortly afterwards a strange creature charged at them, forcing them off the path into some sand. The creature was collossal, with two bright eyes, and made a strange roar as it went past.

You guessed it, we transported from Faerun to modern (1950's) Arizona. Had loads fun ending up in a truck stop, trying to buy food, only having pure gold coins. Language problems abounded, but we didn't care - they actually were giving away salt, pepper & other herbs for FREE with our food. :smallbiggrin:

Finished with the local sheriff & crew stopping over. Too many questions about 'immigrants' & strange clothing. Big gun fight - they had magic blast sticks, we only had our spells & swords. (Our Cleric had problems casting Divine spells for some reason). :smalleek:

Great time had by all
Cheers
Paul H

Lycan 01
2008-11-18, 09:19 PM
Cthulhu-field.

Yes. Yes, I was that crazy. And yes. Yes, it was that awesome.