PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Character

Thiel
2008-11-15, 07:34 PM
This thread is a place to show off what you consider your best work Character-wise.

I'll go first:

Name: Fen-Ten Hiro
Race: Human
Class: Wu Jen
Description:Fen-Ten's waist long hair is arranged in eight long braids and she usually wears a loose fitting multicoloured dress and long pants underneath. (Think Katara from Avatar if that means anything to you) She wears sandals or walk barefooted and carries a single-strap backpack and a belt pouch. She is slim of build and slight of height and her arms are dotted by old burn marks.
Personality:Fen-Ten is a very private person. She doesn't like to speak in large gatherings and she always thinks before she speaks. She can get along with most people as long as they don't interfere with her daily rituals. She is deeply religious and prays to the Five Spirits of nature every day. She doesn't try to convert people, but she wont tolerate people who ridicule her beliefs.
Background: Fen-Ten's early life was marred by fire. When she was nine, both of her parents died in a fire that consumed most of the village. She and three other orphans was taken in by Father Yin, the local cleric, since he was the only one with the means to support them. Unlike the rest of the kids, she didn't seem to be able to deal with her grief no matter how much counselling she received. She refused to let people encroach on what she considered her parent's domain. Among other things, she refused to let anyone comb or cut her hair, because that had been something she and her mother had done together. Similarly she flat-out refused to receive any kind of formal education. Thing's stayed like that for quite some time until one day Father Yin had a strike of genius. He'd been worried about the grubby little child left in his care for some time. Despite his best efforts he simply couldn't figure out how to get her to move forwards with her life. Then one day while teaching the kids about the Mantra of Spirits he came upon the words: To see the Future, you must understand the Past. It wasn't the first time he'd read it, indeed it was one of the cornerstones of his religion, but for some reason he hadn't made the connection.
In the early hours before dawn he placed a lit candle in front of the sleeping Fen-Ten and sat down to observe her reaction. Father Yin was an old hand of the trade and he new how make a dramatic effect, so he'd made sure that the candle flame was the only light source in the room. When she woke up and saw the flame, her eyes grew huge and she didn't seem to be able to tear them away from it. "It bothers you, doesn't it" Asked Father Yin after some minutes. "To see the Future, you must understand the Past. That's the fifth Guide of the Mantra of Spirits and I think that's what's bothering you. You need to, but don't, understand what killed your parents." For a brief moment her eyes flickered to his, but she didn't say anything. "I believe I can help you, if only you will let me. I wont promise you that it'll help and I can't teach you everything, but I will try my best." The minutes crept by and he began to fear that she would remain silent when she said in a small voice very unlike her usual mute silence or terse snapping. "Teach me."
And teach her he did. During the next many years he taught her everything he knew about fire, from how to make a camp-fire to the religious aspects of fire spirits. It didn't comes as a surprise to him when she started to show an aptitude for the ancient elemental art of the Wu Jen. More importantly, she managed to move on with her life. She started praying to the five spirits again and she lit a candle for each of her parents every dawn. She still wouldn't let anyone touch her hair, but she started to groom it vigorously until it became as much a ceremony as her prayers.
But in the all things must pass and by the time she turned 26 she'd learned most of what Father Yin had to teach. So she and Yin decided that it was time for her to leave the village. To facilitate that, Father Yin hired a caravan guard to teach her the basics of how to survive in the big world.
Three months later she left the village in the company of a local merchant headed for the skyport.

Yes, I made this entire thread just so I could get to brag a little:smallbiggrin:

Saintjebus
2008-11-15, 07:51 PM
Name: Jere
Class: Rgr 3/Ftr3/Wiz 1/Planar Explorer 5(custom PrC)
Appearance: Chainmail, with leather adventurer's outfit over, with green and brown cloak and brown boots. Black Hair, short, with blue eyes.
History: Raised by his father and his uncle in the forest near Waterdeep. His father was a fighter, his uncle was a Ranger(thus, first classes were Rgr3/Ftr3). When he was 19, he was hunting, and when he got back home, his home had been destroyed by a demon, and his father and uncle killed. Apparantly, they had angered some high level nasties in their adventuring days. Thus, Jere set off to get revenge for his family's death.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-15, 08:19 PM
Sarastro of Goab

"May the sunlight always safeguard your path, my friend."

Character Concept and Background
1. Sarastro is a half-elf paladin of Pelor who grew up in a village called Goab, located in the World Forest that surrounds the Vale of Thorns
2. He has a rather naïve outlook on life, and is an optimist at heart.
3. Sarastro has travelled to the Vale of Thorns to make a difference in the world and to spread Pelor’s light and warmth wherever he can
4. Sarastro doesn’t know who his family was, because he was given by his elf mother to the priests at the Pelorian chapel in Goab while he was still a baby, and the priests raised him in Pelor’s faith.
5. Sarastro’s faith isn’t exactly true Pelorian doctrine. Because Goab is a very poor and isolated community, Sarastro learned from whatever books the chapel had, some of which aren’t Pelorian, and some that aren’t even religious at all. As a result, his doctrine is cobbled together from several disparate elements, and his prayers sound disjointed and odd.

"I am Pelor's hand in this benighted place. His aims are mine."

Goals
1. What I want most for Sarastro is eventually to rise to becoming a religious leader, and possibly even a saint or messiah figure.
2. Another thing that I built into Sarastro’s story as I talked with other players and built him, is that I want him to find family. He has no idea who his father was, and holds the hope that he may have other family as well.

"Discretion may be the better part of valor, but I believe that honesty wins every time."

Secrets
1. Sarastro has had strange dreams ever since he can remember, and believes that Pelor speaks to him while he sleeps. The priests who raised him don’t believe it, but these dreams were part of the reason Sarastro became a paladin in the first place.
2. Sarastro has family that are still alive. The human rogue he is travelling with, Tremmie, is actually his half-sister, though neither she, nor Sarastro are aware of this. Sarastro’s father is also alive and living within the Vale of Thorns.

"As my companions like to remind me, I'm 'new' to this place. I don't know anybody here that well."

"Contacts"
1. Tremmie the rogue is Sarastro’s half-sister, and a member of the same party Sarastro is travelling with. Like Sarastro, Tremmie was abandoned as a child. Unlike Sarastro, Tremmie grew up on the streets in one of the Vale’s cities. Having suffered constant abuse by anyone she’s ever met, Tremmie is a pessimist who firmly believes that the dagger she carries, Benhime, is the only one she can truly trust. Her somewhat psychotic love of blood and her sadistic nature make her an antithesis of everything Sarastro stands for.
2. Sarastro’s human father travelled to the Vale shortly after he discovered Sarastro’s elf mother was pregnant, abandoning her. After he arrived there he ended up living with a human woman, who later gave birth to Tremmie. When she found out about the elf he’d knocked up before he met her, he abandoned her as well. Because of his history of using and abandoning women, he’s seen as a selfish and wicked man. Both Sarastro and Tremmie would be shocked if they found him.
3. Because he’s relatively new to the area known as the Vale of Thorns, Sarastro has yet to make any major enemies.

"It's not bad to look back and reminisce from time to time, but living life in the past isn't going to do much for your present or your future. Time moves as Pelor wills it, ever forward. One doesn't fight against the current on the river. Neither should one struggle to reclaim what belongs to the past."

Memories
1. Sarastro has very faint memories of being given to the Pelorians as a child. He can remember crying while his mother comforted him one last time, and singing a lullaby that Sarastro still hums today.
2. Sarastro’s proudest memory was when he was ordained as a paladin of Pelor. The old abbot who’d been like a grandfather to him growing up intoned prayers to Pelor, and when Sarastro kneeled before him, a divine ray of sunlight streamed through the window. The entire congregation was in awe.
3. Sarastro remembers first entering the Vale of Thorns pretty well, as it was rather recent. He remembers travelling down the old road, through the massive trees of the World Forest, before arriving at what looked to be an impenetrable hedge of thorns. He was looking for a way around it when he saw a path leading into it, strewn with blood-red rose petals. Since there was no other way to go, Sarastro went down the path until he came to a clearing with an old tunnel entrance sticking out of the ground. Since the clearing was a dead end, he went below the ground, where he had a run in with a group of undead monsters. He was fighting them on his own before meeting up with a group that was travelling through the underground who helped him fight the undead off. Upon emerging, Sarastro noticed the path he’d entered was now gone, leaving him with no way to go but forward. He latched on to the group that found him and is now travelling with them as a member of their adventuring party.

Design Notes
I created Sarastro as my first 4e PC for an online play-by-post, and I'm still forming him in a sense (he hasn't even reached level 2 yet). I'm sure some of you here are familiar with him, as I've been asking questions pertaining to his character here often.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/Ravingdork/PaladinofPelor.jpg

Picture originally created by Pulyx, photoshopped by Raving_Dork

Pie Guy
2008-11-15, 09:20 PM
Name:Monk dude o' death (second character, dungeon crawl, give me a break.)
Personality: Punching stuff, also not understanding rules.
Illegalaties: D20 for stats (my friend lied.:( ), Flurry as a standard action, not sucking, dealing more damage than rest of party.
Drawbacks: Really stupid and really ugly (8 int, 4 cha) the monsters all attacked me because I was so ugly. Teammate tried to trip me into lava.
Pros: I dodged the trip, but he hit my friend in.

X15lm204
2008-11-16, 12:51 AM
Name: Mitzi
Setting: FR, 1372 DR
Build: Female Human (Sossrim) Ftr 8/Brb 1, two-weapon fighting (greatsword/unarmed strike, yes really), aiming for Tempest
Description: A tall young woman with short silver hair and brown eyes, Mitzi wears a mithril breastplate, gauntlets, and boots and a grey-blue cloak over brown leathers. She talks little but laughs often, and always goes into battle either singing or screaming. She comes off as suicidally overconfident, but her allies wonder if there might be something to her wild, whirling style considering her spectacular victories - and wonder how spectacularly she will die when her luck finally runs out.

History: The orphaned, or perhaps abandoned, daughter of a pair of Sossrim adventurers, Mitzi grew up as the primary defender of a pack of Luskan street rats, defending them from rival gangs and the inhabitants of the sewer they called home. Named by a passing paladin who healed her after a brutal and tragic battle against a dire rat (ironically after her mother, the only other silver-haired woman the paladin had met), she devoted herself to protecting anyone who needed her help. As a teenager, the gang having gone their separate ways, she joined the Luskan Watch, but was forced to flee the city when her captain was assassinated by a corrupt guard working for the Arcane Brotherhood and she barely escaped death herself.

After searching Sossal and the north for her parents in vain, Mitzi eventually joined a trio of adventurers in Vaasa, and fell in love with their leader, a Damaran priest of Lathander named Pietr. After his gruesome death in battle, she followed her other companion, Jandar, to his home in Rashemen to recover from her emotional wounds, vowing never to allow someone she loved to die in front of her again. After a few months, she left Rashemen for Waterdeep, promising to keep in touch with her berserker friend.

In the City of Splendors, she somehow attracted the attention of a capricious fallen demigod and began working with with a strange mix of adventurers who had been forced into his service. When the group was joined by a Rashemi witch-in-training who went by the name of Dusk, she unofficially took on the role of her protector. After numerous brushes with death, including being surrounded by vampires in the depths of Skullport, an attack by a white dragon on an inn where they were staying for the night, and holding back a friend who had contracting lycanthropy while Dusk tried to contain the curse, the party accompanied the new hathran back to Rashemen, where they split up. Mitzi remained with her friends, old and new, and now trains hard and wonders where to go next - and how to become powerful enough to punch a certain former god in the face without being utterly obliterated.

Magnax
2008-11-16, 02:05 AM
Name: Dyrn Caltorr
Build: Elven Ranger
Personality: Good-natured, uncultured, kind of daft.

Basically in whatever campaign my DM ran, the elves were always high-society types - the "sits on ivory towers and pities the inferior races" kind of elves. After a while I got sick of this attitude, so when he decided to run a "Heroes of Horror" game, I made my character the polar opposite to his usual sort of elf - a friendly bumpkin from a rural community. He wasn't my longest-lasting character, but he was fun to play. Very cheery and optimistic in contrast to the rest of the elves, and really, to that campaign in general. Definitely one of my better characters.

hotel_papa
2008-11-16, 12:53 PM
Marconis "The Magnificant Bastard" Wolfeson

TN Human Paragon 3 / Fighter ?

Proof that there is no such thing as too smart for plate mail, Marconis was a thinker first and a fighter second. He used logic and wit before resorting to his +2 shocking morningstar, Hazard (Bluffed away from a hobgoblin chieftan after he talked his way past the guard into the heart of the encampment. He critted the warlord with it's own weapon and proceeded to take over the tribe. And then turned it over to the NPC king in exchange for the title... I'm such a considerate player.) and his +1 shortsword of Venom, Toxin (Found in the hoard at the bottom of an elemental themed complex, with a size huge elemental of each type at the top of each of 4 towers. He had the party lead them on merry chases into their opposing elements, then mopped up what was left after the ensuing grudge matches.)

I played this guy in Iraq, during the (very) few games I didn't have to DM.

He was the embodiment of my favorite problem-solving philosophy: Use your problems to solve your problems. Ask me about my (totally rediculous enough to work) solutions for Immigration, Iraq, Darfur and North Korea sometime.

HP

Terex4
2008-11-16, 01:23 PM
Alouicius Beuregarde Lymphetamine III

2nd ed Fighter 4/Rogue 4 (Swashbuckler kit for both classes)
He was half high elf, half sea elf

Alouicius fought using rapier and/or saber having both the two weapon and single weapon style proficiencies.

He wore studded leather yet had an AC of 0 (-2 if using a single weapon)

Alouicius was fun to roleplay. He was a ladies man and very lighthearted. On the parties first voyage to sea he was to raise the anchor. Well prior to getting the ship ready to sail the captain handed out wine as a toast to the voyage. The party's paladin decided to help Al raise the anchor so Al got behind him and pulled with one hand while continuing to sip his wine with the other.

Very fun character to fight with too. Lots of disarm and pull/trip maneuvers made combat interesting.

I tried not to min/max him with his skills but I had a very specific image in mind and he ultimately turned out to be a real badass. The paladin didn't stand a chance when we competed in combat games.

woodenbandman
2008-11-16, 01:45 PM
Name: Dru Berrymore(placeholder name until I come up with a better one).
Race: Aasimar, reincarnated as a Mongrelfolk
Class: Druid
Description: Short, horribly ugly monstrosity. Used to be an average height human looking person with flowing silver hair and bright green eyes. Wore a velvet hat and black velvet clothes. Became extremely ugly when he was reincarnated, and now wears a mask and spends much time as a polar bear.
Background: Dru was born in a wood. His father was a Planetar, his mother a Nymph. His mother gave him to his father, but he was a strange celestial, and he grew too fast. His father shunned him, and he left heaven, trying to find his mother. He couldn't find her in the strange world, so he went into the forest where the druids found him, sensed his natural powers, and began to train him in the way of the druid. After the woods were invaded, he was sent as an emmisary to the capital of the land, Rune, to find out what was going on. He found out that the world needed saving, so without even thinking, he signed on for the job. He went on to go through the four elemental temples and save the world. On the way, he performed several awesome deeds, including saving the children of a small ocean community and acquiring the party a ship, freeing and eventually winning mayorship of a small mountain town, aided greatly by the fact that he'd strongly advocated against harming the human soldiers who were controlled by the yakfolk, reincarnating his depressed warforged companion as a living breathing lizardfolk, helpling rescue a kobold community from Wal-Martville, and sending them to live with the citizens of his town (after his companion Mr ZipIt became their spiritual leader), and my personal favorite, becoming Mr ZipIt's son-in-law. Oh yeah. :thog:

Paul H
2008-11-16, 02:32 PM
Hi

Oskar Thorinson LN Cleric 3 (Boccob: Magic, Trickery) Warmage 4. Mystic Theurge 5

St 10 De 16 Co 14 In 14 Wi 18 Ch 18
(Includes Gaunt Dex+4, Headband Int +2, Periapt Wis +2, Cloak Cha +4)

Oskar is my main Living Greyhawk Campaign character. LG finishes end this year, but I've had over 350 hours gaming with him. Now converting him over for the Living Planar campaign.

Oskar's a Hero of Onwal, a Lord of Tenh, wanted by various nefarious organisations, and exiled from his homeland for not supporting a coup against the Lawful King, by the High Priest of Moradin.

High Priest didn't like Dwarves intervening on behalf of the Onwal people to fight off an invasion. King now lives in exile. His other adventures include freeing slaves (one of which is his cohort), fighting in special ops against invaders, including the last battle for the freedom of Onwal. Travelled in time to fight battles for the greater good.

Have bought many items, made some more. Fighters like me because I dish out kit like Bracers, Wpn Crystals etc at the start of a scenario.

Character bit nerfed now for Living Planar campaign, but not ready to retire yet.......

Cheers
Paul H

Ravyn
2008-11-16, 11:24 PM
It varies. My masterpiece PC was designed for an Exalted game: a young Air Aspect named Tuyet (pictured in my avatar). She was fun: when I first designed her she was about as frail as a character could get in that game (high Dex, Str and Sta at 1 each), and yet a decent damage-dealer due to her aim and her knack for coming up on the opponent when he wasn't looking or couldn't split, a dedicated spymaster, addicted to crooked politics, spywork and social games, but so good at twisting her words that she could convince her then-significant other (one of the PCs, no less) that she didn't actually like manipulating people (and without dice, too).... and then she yelled at an army because I'd just had a stunt pulled out from under me, no foes in range, and I needed to do something, and it worked.

So next thing I know, she's trying to prevent a civil war because she considers military forces getting in the way of her politics to be "cheating", and turning into quite possibly the most recognizable figure therein because of a combination of well-chosen rhetoric and calculated "stupid heroics". Woman ended up on the Throne by the time we were done with that arc.

But the character I'm likeliest to talk about is actually one of my NPCs, a charming little deathknight by name of Ruby. Imagine a fearsome warrior and combat spellcaster who grapples people with chains of her own blood or clanks onto the battlefield as a walking mass of rusty iron capable of extruding spearpoints at a moment's notice--or both!--when she isn't giving puppy eyes to things she shouldn't be able to stand a chance against in a fight (while in iron monster form, sometimes), hugging cute things, or getting sugar-high off of rock candy. Now make her about sixteen, absurdly pretty but completely unaware of the fact, in service by choice to the forces of death--and for an added challenge, make this work as a serious character. See why she amuses me? I had so much fun coming up with her, watching her evolve, and seeing what sorts of secrets she was hiding, that I use her as a model when describing everything from subtext in descriptions (http://exchangeofrealities.today.com/2008/07/01/what-we-didnt-say/) and character (http://exchangeofrealities.today.com/2008/07/10/character-building-from-three-foundations/) design (http://exchangeofrealities.today.com/2008/07/22/character-evolution-the-company-they-keep/) to character development through crises (http://exchangeofrealities.today.com/2008/07/26/impractical-applications-week-6/).

Yukitsu
2008-11-16, 11:45 PM
That would be Jo Pistachio. You can see snippets of his life scattered around the board. He's from a Neon Genesis Evangelion campaign, where the party was a group of non-pilate NERV operatives.

Name: Jo Pistachio
Race: Human
Class: Smart 3, Charismatic 3, techno mage 2.
Appearance: A charming young boy of 14 years old, with brown/red hair and glimmering green eyes. Wears a baggy lab coat over his more normal clothes. His skin and hair turn white hot in sunlight, and his eyes turn fiery red, due to some mutations. He looks very frail and sickly, mostly because he is highly mutated.
Background: Jo Pistachio is the illegitimate son of a scientist and a mysterious British secret agent. His mother who died at a young age never had the chance to tell him about his actual parents. He was adopted by a pair of scientists who raised him rather poorly. He was always in hospital beds, and they spent more time teaching him facts and science over sanity. He basically turned out a kind modest person who could smile while blowing up a building full of people whom he deemed a sufficient threat to warrant it, but he remained idealistic enough to always try to eliminate colateral damage. Something the party seemed to maximize for some reason.

Jo recieved 2 of his hard science degrees by 13, and worked for CSIS in the governments safety compatibility department. In other words, he was the Canadian version of Q. By 14, he moved to NERV in Japan to be part of that project.

Jo is the campaigns only character to have survived 3rd impact, waking up on a beach being strangled to death by Rei. I had to roll a lot of a lot of natural 20s to replace Shinji on that beach. And Rei? Nothing going between them, she just hated Jo's guts more than any one else.

Personality: Jo feels it in his blood to try to be a ladies man, but A:He's 14, and B: he rolls nothing but critical failures on those checks. When he doesn't, it's a natural 20, and the fact that he's 14 becomes a potential legal problem. Either way, he spends all of his time running from people.

He's pretty much always optimistic and cheerful, though he had a heroic BSOD when he thought his adopted parents died, and he also goes a little loopey when people he's trying to protect get hurt. He gets upset about that to the point that he'll jump in front of attacks, even though he doesn't have much in the way of con.

Combat: Jo has the resistance to fire mutation, and so fights by standing out in sunlight, which allows him to deal fire damage to himself and others. He then punches people, while holding live fire based grenades. He also shoots darts filled with grey goo at people.