PDA

View Full Version : Monte Cook's World of Darkness

Madmal
2008-11-15, 09:23 PM
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQvSpwHHyc

Can anyone give me some comments on it? i'm getting it as a gift, and the concept seems interesting so far...

Copacetic
2008-11-15, 09:40 PM
I don't know much about d20 or White wolf, but that sounds pretty awesome.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-15, 11:28 PM
Sounds very Rift-y (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts) to me.

I haven't seen a copy of this either, but I have played Monte Cook's Ptolus setting for D&D and it's very nice. I imagine he put some very nice fluff together, and it's probably a fine system.

I don't know why the Game Geek guy was so pumped about a "point buy magic system" though :smallconfused:

Lert, A.
2008-11-16, 01:02 AM
If you strip away some of the fluff it becomes more playable. (Evil alien invaders possessing humans with other aliens or souls of the dead so they can do something generally bad but really just a plot device.)

The mechanics are fine though. In fact, the mechanics save the book from - in the opinion of myself and my crew - being a steaming pile of crap.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-16, 11:54 AM
If you strip away some of the fluff it becomes more playable. (Evil alien invaders possessing humans with other aliens or souls of the dead so they can do something generally bad but really just a plot device.)

The mechanics are fine though. In fact, the mechanics save the book from - in the opinion of myself and my crew - being a steaming pile of crap.

So, what's the deal with the "point buy magic system?" How's that work?

Lert, A.
2008-11-16, 12:35 PM
So, what's the deal with the "point buy magic system?" How's that work?

If you are playing a mage, you receive components. These components are used to create spells on the fly, although if you spend too many on one spell you can run yourself dry (components do regenerate with rest).

For spells you can use any of the rotes in the book. Rotes are pre-made spells that are a bit more cost efficient since they are supposedly practiced eleventy billion times. The other spells are the ones you create, either by modifying rotes or through custom creation.

Custom spells can take a bit of time to create until you get more familiar with the system. One of the suggestions which we modify somewhat is to make playing card style decks for duration, range, effect, etc. Slap all the cards down as you want the spell to work, add the costs and you have a shiney new magic.

It is quite a good system, and my crew likes it better than the "I cast <insert spell name>."

Another point to note is that there are no real classes. Your "class" is your character type (vampire, mage, etc.) with a 20 level progression. You do get a fairly large amount of character selection, but don't expect D&D style classes.

Hope this helped a little.