PDA

View Full Version : level 26 wizardry help (not abusing epic spell casting) 3.5

BobVosh
2008-11-16, 01:40 AM
I'm curious what contingency I should use with wording, along with other defenses I should use.

I'm level 26 CL wizard, 22 CL sorcerer(without items, I think both get +3 from some items). However I only have the spells of a level 18 wizard and 17 sorcerer. (levels are in wizard, sorcerer, war weaver, finished ult. magus, 1 level archmage, and then extended ult. magus.)

So basically I get a lot of spells, and even more spells. Free metamagics lots per day.

No craft contigency, and he is allowing only epic spells that are already made, no new ones :/

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

monty
2008-11-16, 01:42 AM
Standard Batman. Be paranoid about everything, and you should have no problems. Well, except other players being mad because you're slowing everything down.

BobVosh
2008-11-16, 01:47 AM
I'm aware of paranoia, I'm asking spells to know and use to protect beyond obvious of genesis with astral projection

mostlyharmful
2008-11-16, 07:27 AM
At this level and with a safe base you can plan when you're going to put yourself in danger so the buffs you use can be as tailored and exhaustive as you can make them. Get hold of lots of CL boosters and Rods of Extend (or Persist if you can stand the cheese) and look through every book you have access to for personal or team buffs that last hours per CL, you can pump your CL past 30 then extend and stack buffs 45 deep on your wizard. Then rest either for the full 8 hours or just with a fortifying bedroll and get all your slots back leaving lots blank to keep loose and the rest whatever you want.

Once you get your spells back stack on 10/CL stuff just as deep and then wander around for the next few hours as close to unkillable as is possible, try to get hold of Tippys buff list if you want a well thought through protection set.

Make sure to include Shapechange, Superiour Invisibility, Nondetection, Ghostform, Mindblank and Greater Ironguard after that there's not much that can even find you let alone touch you.

This is all on the proviso that although you aren't allowed Epic casting silliness you still want to walse past CR appropriate stuff. Otherwise just downgrade you buff routine to something you can say without having to take five minutes.

Once you have the buff selection down think about minions and divinations you have running.
-Bound outsiders with spell-likes are great value by this time, esspecially with Moment of Prescience to drive the barginning down to virtually nothing.
-Contact other Plane is the key to a properly paranoid caster, you've played twenty questions right? Well CoP is just like that but you've got to spam it a little to compensate for the % drift that depends on how high a level of outsider you can contact without any risk to yourself (remember you can't fumble an attribute check).
-You already seem to have a Genesis plane but be sure not to rely totally on it, generally I like to have atleast one fallback emergancey lair per four or five levels (yes I think like a BBEG, what high level wizard player doesn't really?)
-Remember to pick your fights and settle them, if you can get something without pissing anyone off or anyone noticing do it that way. The fewer people there are out for your blood the better and if you do need to take someone down be sure to capture their soul once you beat them, nail that damn thing down and if possible sell it to someone else with a vested in keeping so their friends chase down whoever you sold it too not you.

monty
2008-11-16, 12:45 PM
Also on the ability checks for CoP, I believe you can take 10 on them, so you only need a +6 Int modifier to pass them. You should have higher than +6 by this point, though.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-16, 01:36 PM
I'm curious what contingency I should use with wording, along with other defenses I should use.

I'm level 26 CL wizard, 22 CL sorcerer(without items, I think both get +3 from some items). However I only have the spells of a level 18 wizard and 17 sorcerer. (levels are in wizard, sorcerer, war weaver, finished ult. magus, 1 level archmage, and then extended ult. magus.)

So basically I get a lot of spells, and even more spells. Free metamagics lots per day.

No craft contigency, and he is allowing only epic spells that are already made, no new ones :/

So any suggestions would be appreciated.
How much cheese do you like?
The Foresight/Celerity combo means you always go first (Foresight makes you never flat-footed, Celerity is an Immediate-action spell that gives you a standard action at the cost of being Dazed for a round after). Tack on a Greater Shadow Evocation(Contingency)/Celerity combo (for if you are about to be subjected to an antimagic or teleportation-blocking effect) and between the two, you're basically never subject to anything without your consent (at least, not in the first round of combat). Make sure it's the Sorcerer side of the casting that has Greater Shadow Evocation and Celerity.