PDA

View Full Version : Dungeonomicon Monk Help

Break
2008-11-16, 04:55 AM
Character class post for the oft-recommended Monk fix. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=9483486&postcount=3) It's the first one listed.

So I'm deciding to build a Dungeonomicon monk, as I feel it's an elegant fix for the class. It's already been approved with the DM. It's a 32-point buy, level 3 to start, 2000 GP to spend, and all available official material allowed with the unspoken agreement that there'll be no cheese. (Fairly ill-defiined, I know, but I'll roll with it.)

I think I'll stick with being a human, and my initial idea for stats is:

16 STR
10 DEX
14 CON
10 INT
16 WIS
10 CHA
(I have a bit of an irrational aversion to having negative modifiers if I can reasonably avoid it.)

However, what I do know about Monk optimization basically doesn't apply to the Dungeonomicon version - you can't build off of things that require Stunning Fist without a more significant feat investment, for example. That said, I have a few things to ask -

- I have no idea what to take for feats, whether now or for the rest of the build. This is really what's got me hung up the most - Improved Initiative was all that I could come up with in order to counter the lack of DEX.

- I'm wondering what fighting style abilities would synergize well. Add in the fact that the monk does get several (that can even be used at the same time once you get the class abilities to do so, if my interpretation of said abilities is correct), and I think I have a bit of room to make completely situational styles that are limited only by my swift actions. My 1st level style was simply choosing the abilities that added +4 to AC and saves, but past that, I'm not completely sure on what styles would be most effective.

- Is there a better spread of stats I can use?

- To clarify, I can't Power Attack for twice the reduced BAB simply because the unarmed slam adds 1.5 the STR mod to damage, correct?

- Finally, for style abilities like: While Active, your Grand Master Fighting Style affects any target you strike with your slam attack with a disintegrate effect, with a caster level equal to your character level. Does this mean that each struck target can only be affected once, no matter how many of the attacks land?

Thanks in advance.

bosssmiley
2008-11-16, 10:26 AM
Why not ask the guys who wrote it (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=28547)? They have a 7 page thread on the Dungeonomicon (and a lot of answers to questions about their Monk) over at The Gaming Den.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-11-16, 12:20 PM
I only skimmed the class and was not familiar with it, so I do not have much to offer in that department.

However, I can clarify your rules issues.

- To clarify, I can't Power Attack for twice the reduced BAB simply because the unarmed slam adds 1.5 the STR mod to damage, correct?

You are correct. It is not a two-handed weapon.

- Finally, for style abilities like: While Active, your Grand Master Fighting Style affects any target you strike with your slam attack with a disintegrate effect, with a caster level equal to your character level. Does this mean that each struck target can only be affected once, no matter how many of the attacks land?

It is a swift action to activate and last the whole round, so every hit has potential of unleashing the effect.

streakster
2008-11-16, 01:42 PM
Hooray! This is a great class! You're gonna have a great time!

Feats - See if your DM will allow Frank and K's Races of War feats. The feats in there scale with your BAB, and are all very useful. Otherwise consider going for Combat Expertise so you can get Whirlwind Attack.

Fighting Styles - You'll want a ranged method of attack for flyers - this could be the firebreathing style, using shurikens with the weapon style, or just airwalking up to them.

Some synergies I like:

Master Style - Way of the Whirlwind - Take the free trip attack against anyone who attacks you, plus the concealment, plus the free telekinetic thrust against all you trip. If anyone attacks you, they suffer a 20% miss chance, and you get to make a free trip attack to send them flying.

Master Style - Howling Ghost - Take the teleport and the sonic damage. Teleport into groups of enemies and hit them all! Plus, if you have Whirlwind attack, you can make an attack against all of them, dealing lots of sonic damage.

Grand Master Style - Death of the Mage - Teleport Block + Greater Dispelling + Banishment. You can't run, your minions can't hurt me, and you have no buffs. Goodbye.

Fighting Style - Unhindered Dance - +30 speed, no AoO's.

Fighting Style - Sniper's Stance - Weapon Slam effect, Concealment. Grab some shurikens, extend this, and start slapping people with Save or Suck Shurikens.

Don't sweat the Styles, though - it's hard to go wrong. Just remember to have an offensive style, some defensive styles, and a mobility style, with some utility styles (Antimagic, object breaking, etc) if you want. I like to extend the defensive or mobility styles, and use the offensive styles as needed.

You use a lot of Swift Actions - if you can find an item to grant you more, grab it. Might let you use more than one style per round, too.

Let us know how you like playing the Awesome monk!