PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Drunken Master build help?

littlechicory
2008-11-16, 01:24 PM
I've decided my backup character will be a monk/drunken master, and I've chosen a homebrew race with bonuses to Str and Con and penalties to Wis and Cha. Obviously the racial penalty to Wis is gonna make it hard out there for a monk, but I don't think that'll matter once she reaches drunken master and starts boozing it up anyway. We do have plans to deal with the "night of carousing" requirement for drunken master.

Rolls are 17, 16, 14, 14, 11, and 10. Character would be entering the game at Level 4.

---

My initial reaction is to pop the 17 into Dex and the 16 into Str, so by L4 she gets +4 modifiers in both (the 16 Str gets the racial bonus and becomes 18, the 17 Dex gets the L4 boost and becomes 18). One of the 14s goes into Con and becomes 16 due to racial bonus, the other goes into Wis and becomes 12 due to racial penalty. 11 goes to Int, and 10 gets dumped into Cha and becomes 8.

Would you do differently, GitP? And what would you choose for magic items (budget 5,400 gp according to the DMG)? Feats? Skills?

Bayar
2008-11-16, 01:46 PM
I would totally put ranks in Profession (basketweaving).

Guide: http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-593140

Recaiden
2008-11-16, 02:26 PM
You might want to look here: Guide to Monks (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=978174)

The stats look good for a melee monk build. Feats should include improved and possibly superior natural attack/unarmed strike. Snap kick would also be good for a monk, and lightning fists might be good too.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-16, 02:26 PM
Perform: Pelvic Thrust.

Enlong
2008-11-16, 02:27 PM
In before "Just use Swordsage".

Should you really be taking a hit to Wisdom when you're using a Monk? Don't forget the Monk's "Add Wis bonus to AC" thing.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-16, 02:27 PM
Don't forget this monk guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80704)!

streakster
2008-11-16, 02:28 PM
Don't forget this monk guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80704)!

Stop Giacarolling people!

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-16, 02:41 PM

We're no strangers to monks
You know the rules, and so do I
A full placement's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy

littlechicory
2008-11-16, 02:45 PM
In before "Just use Swordsage".

Should you really be taking a hit to Wisdom when you're using a Monk? Don't forget the Monk's "Add Wis bonus to AC" thing.

Does Swordsage cover all the prereqs for Drunken Master (flurry of blows, evasion, and I think Tumble skill ranks)? I've heard good things about it...

And I'm gonna point out again that I'm aiming for a class that "drinks like a demon", so the Wis penalty is gonna be worth very little anyway in about two levels...

Enlong
2008-11-16, 03:10 PM
Ah, right. I almost forgot about that.
A Monk Belt is always a nice investment, for the unarmed damage progression, and is good for Stunning Fist if you get it. Since you're aiming for lots of Strength or Constitution, enhancement items can't hurt to stack on top of the drink bonus. And I believe there's an item called the "Gourd of Infinite Libations" that is a Decanter of Endless Water, except it produces alcoholic drink.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-16, 03:15 PM
Take Kung Fu Genius to switch your monk abilities from Wis to Int. Now the penalty doesn't matter for the cost of a single feat.

Enlong
2008-11-16, 03:17 PM
Take Kung Fu Genius to switch your monk abilities from Wis to Int. Now the penalty doesn't matter for the cost of a single feat.

I thought that Drink Like A Demon dropped Wis and Int?

Bayar
2008-11-16, 03:25 PM
Ah, right. I almost forgot about that.
A Monk Belt is always a nice investment, for the unarmed damage progression, and is good for Stunning Fist if you get it. Since you're aiming for lots of Strength or Constitution, enhancement items can't hurt to stack on top of the drink bonus. And I believe there's an item called the "Gourd of Infinite Libations" that is a Decanter of Endless Water, except it produces alcoholic drink.

I will install one in a warforged next time I play an artificier. Thank you for the idea.

wadledo
2008-11-16, 03:27 PM
In my opinion, the drunken master is one of the best flavored monk PrC's, but worst actual abilities.
A Monk 2/Swordsage 3/Drunken Master 9/*Blah blah blah* 6 is very decent, especially if you can get your DM to say, make the bonus to Drink like a Demon +2 Str or Con, +1 Dex, -2 Int, -1 Wis.

littlechicory
2008-11-16, 03:33 PM

Which splatbook is this from? I'd love to get away with dumping Wis on a monk build, just to watch fellow gamers gonk :smallconfused:

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-16, 03:34 PM
I thought that Drink Like A Demon dropped Wis and Int?

No idea, I haven't looked at the Drunken Master class yet. If it does and you wanted too you could dip 3 levels in Sorcerer and take Ascetic Mage too get your abilities working off Cha.

hamishspence
2008-11-16, 03:35 PM
dragon compendium- originally dragon 319. Not sure if Oriental adventures had it, but I'd be surprised.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-16, 03:45 PM
Which splatbook is this from? I'd love to get away with dumping Wis on a monk build, just to watch fellow gamers gonk :smallconfused:

Kung Fu Genius (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Kung_Fu_Genius,all) is from Dragon #319.

Carmendine Monk (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Carmendine_Monk,all) also provides makes the monk abilities work off Int, and it's from Champions of Valor.

SilentNight
2008-11-16, 04:27 PM
Or, for sheer visual ridiculousness, try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74889&highlight=blue+rajah). Post 27, not the OP.

Darrin
2008-11-16, 07:27 PM
Or, for sheer visual ridiculousness, try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74889&highlight=blue+rajah). Post 27, not the OP.

Been noodling around a similar idea... but one thing that puzzles me greatly is by RAW, the Drunken Master is not proficient with improvised weapons. Sure, they get extra damage, but it never mentions proficiency anywhere.

I've found a way around that, but it's still annoying.

Hal
2008-11-16, 07:58 PM
We're no strangers to monks
You know the rules, and so do I
A full placement's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy

Iiiiiiiii just wanna tell you to use swordsage;
wanna make you understand

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-16, 08:03 PM

I'm sorry Hal, you can't do that.

Darrin
2008-11-16, 11:33 PM

Swordsage doesn't get flurry or evasion, which you need to qualify for Drunken Master. Although Disciple of the Eye will get you flurry, and you can pick up evasion several other ways.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-16, 11:45 PM
Swordsage doesn't get flurry or evasion, which you need to qualify for Drunken Master. Although Disciple of the Eye will get you flurry, and you can pick up evasion several other ways.Looks like Evasion requires 2 levels at a minimum, unless you use Incarnum to get it from a Soulmeld or the Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries PrC from Draconomicon. Of course, the SS does get Evasion, at 9, so it's not actually a major issue. Monk, Shou Disciple and Kundala(BoED, don't ask why I remember) are the only ways of getting Flurry at all(Disciple of the Eye only stacks for Flurry, doesn't grant), so might as well go Monk 2/SS 3.

VerdugoExplode
2008-11-16, 11:46 PM
I think he means you should just level as a straight unarmed swordsage with the character description of a drunken master and replace the maneuvers with appropriately drunken masterish ones.

Hal
2008-11-16, 11:59 PM
Swordsage doesn't get flurry or evasion, which you need to qualify for Drunken Master. Although Disciple of the Eye will get you flurry, and you can pick up evasion several other ways.

Sweet sassy molassy, haven't any of you people ever been rickrolled before?

Next time I'm skipping the "thematically appropriate" gags.

SilentNight
2008-11-17, 12:03 AM
Sweet sassy molassy, haven't any of you people ever been rickrolled before?

It once happened to my friend over the phone.

Darrin
2008-11-17, 11:30 AM
Monk, Shou Disciple and Kundala(BoED, don't ask why I remember) are the only ways of getting Flurry at all(Disciple of the Eye only stacks for Flurry, doesn't grant), so might as well go Monk 2/SS 3.

Disciple of the Eye, Flurry of Blows: "If you don’t have any monk levels, you are treated as a monk of the same class level as your disciple class level for determining your flurry of blows attack bonuses."

Shou Disciple is debatable, since the ability is called "Martial Flurry", and the mechanics/text assume 3.0 monk abilities.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-11-17, 08:23 PM

Hee hee Giacarolling Hee hee

I Lol'd

Demons_eye
2008-11-17, 10:04 PM
Mineral warroir gets you some nice things for la1
+2 str
+6 con
-2 int
-2 wis
-2 cha
Dr/8 add
Earth strike once a day(add con bonus to hit if foe is on ground)

Pick up a few levels of FoF and you become Bobo the hobo sleep in a card bord box and drink all day.