PDA

View Full Version : Is Duskblade/Warblade/JPM a viable build?

AslanCross
2008-11-16, 04:34 PM
As I was browsing again through the Prc section of my Tome of Battle, I looked Jade Phoenix Mage over again and began to wonder if Duskblade/Warblade/JPM is a viable build. Sure, it won't be a full caster, but it seems that one could make a really powerful nova gish with it by taking Arcane Strike, using that with Arcane Wrath, maneuvers, and channeling.

Would this work, or is it just too much nova?

Eldariel
2008-11-16, 04:47 PM
Viable in comparison to a ToB character? Sure. Not a fullcaster, but added spells and such into Manifesting makes you fine in comparison to other melee. I'd stick to maximizing Casting probably, as Initator Level has the handy ½ Other Classes-clause. Something like Warblade 2/Duskblade 3/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 5, ±some Duskblade/AC levels seems decent enough.

Duskblade 3 really gives you all you need besides Quick Casting which would only be 1/day anyways (since you'll probably want to use Mithril Breastplate at any rate), and Abjurant Champion has some really handy abilities (Martial Arcanist is v. good as Duskblade has mostly damage-spells which rely on CL for damage and you have full BAB). Unfortunately Arcane Channel does not work with strikes, giving you rather weak returns from the Duskblade levels. 13 levels of Duskblade for full attack channeling is fairly undoable though, especially if striving to achieve the boost maneuvers worth using with it...

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-16, 04:53 PM
You need at least 5 levels of duskblade to get 2nd level spells, though on the plus side you only need one level of a ToB class to qualify. Or, you could just take 3 feat to do it(2 martial studies and one martial stance). So, Duskblade 6, JPM X.

Eldariel
2008-11-16, 04:55 PM
You need at least 5 levels of duskblade to get 2nd level spells, though on the plus side you only need one level of a ToB class to qualify. Or, you could just take 3 feat to do it(2 martial studies and one martial stance). So, Duskblade 6, JPM X.

The key is to take the AC levels before entering JPM. You qualify for AC with level 1 arcane spells and AC features > Duskblade features (not to mention, automatic combat casting you get from Duskblade is actually put to use this way).

Fax Celestis
2008-11-16, 07:41 PM
My favorite method is Duskblade 5/Warblade 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/X 4.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-16, 07:45 PM
My favorite method is Duskblade 5/Warblade 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/X 4.Its generally nice to put 2 levels of Duskblade in the middle of JPM to delay maneuvers and get you to Duskblade 7.

Sinfire Titan
2008-11-16, 07:46 PM
Note that even though the build works (and well, might I add, as I've played one to good effect), you can't use a Strike and Arcane Channeling in the same turn. It would be nice to see happen, but they just aren't compatible.

That's something the JPM should have allowed in place of the 10th level capstone. Sure, being able to heal yourself back to full is nice, but the 1/week limit and the weak damage isn't worth the 2 CL drop.

SadisticFishing
2008-11-16, 07:47 PM
Isn't Arcane Channeling a standard action? So you can't use that and a maneuver at the same time...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-16, 07:50 PM
Isn't Arcane Channeling a standard action? So you can't use that and a maneuver at the same time...But you can't always time it so you're refreshing when you take a full attack. It's useful, and if nothing else, it's a full-BAB class that advances casting and has moderate HD.

woodenbandman
2008-11-16, 10:08 PM
Duskblade 13/Warblade2/JPM5. Arcane channeling full attack, 20 BAB, caster level 16, take practiced caster, that's a whole lotta attacks with Vampiric touch, which is, of course, your main source of damage as a duskblade.

ocato
2008-11-16, 10:23 PM
Is there some other place/way to get more spells on the duskblade list? My biggest beef with the class was always a seemingly subpar spell list.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-16, 10:28 PM
Is there some other place/way to get more spells on the duskblade list? My biggest beef with the class was always a seemingly subpar spell list.The standard methods. Arcane Disciple, Rainbow Savant, Sacred Exorcist. Though their spell list does have some good spells at lower levels than the standard lists.

AslanCross
2008-11-16, 11:14 PM
Is there some other place/way to get more spells on the duskblade list? My biggest beef with the class was always a seemingly subpar spell list.

I know there's a Duskblade handbook out somewhere that suggests which spells could be houseruled in.

Hal
2008-11-17, 12:01 AM

Expanding the spell list isn't terribly helpful. Since you only get one new spell each level, you're better off just asking your DM if you can research whatever spell you want to take. All an expanded spell list gives you is a list of spells you'll never get to take.