PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Pleasures

Vuzzmop
2008-11-16, 06:42 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin. what's your guilty pleasure?
Still playing MarioKart at 45? Still following Lost after the fourth season? Come one come all and be accepted for who you are!

Me? I've got this weird thing for early nineties rap music.:smallcool:
Yo, lets get outta here. Word to your mother.

Player_Zero
2008-11-16, 06:47 PM
Doing nothing productive.
Playing WoW.
Playing Dwarf Fortress.
Playing Disgaea.
Playing other computer games.
Procastinating.
Sleeping in until 2PM on weekdays.
Having no taste in music.
Thinking things are cool because they are uncool. Though, actually, that's completely true in many respects.
Not talking to anyone for weeks on end...
Wait, what was I listing again?
...Bad memory...
Oh! Pretending to be stupid is a good one.
Confusing the hell out of people just 'cause.

13_CBS
2008-11-16, 06:48 PM
Shojou manga series.

Yes, I'm a guy. Quit looking at me like that.

Edit: To clarify, I actually don't like the sappy romance (stop looking at me like that!), I mostly read certain shojou manga series for the wacky character interactions (such as Special A).

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-16, 06:52 PM
You mean I have to name one? Alright, my guilty pleasure is single-player-personal-computer-role-playing-games. Games like Neverwinter Nights 2, Mass Effect, Fable: The Lost Chapters and The Elder Scrolls series. It drives my youngest brother nuts when I play for more than an hour because he wants to surf the web for information about haunted houses, Las Vegas neon lights, demolished skyscrapers and watch stuff on StupidVideos.com.

Haruki-kun
2008-11-16, 06:52 PM
Avril Lavigne Music.
Japanese Music.
The Inheritance Trilogy. (Not here to discuss it.)
Artemis freakin' Fowl.
Ragnarok Online. It's been so long... T.T

Eldan
2008-11-16, 06:53 PM
Welll, planning to get into bed at 22:30 to get at least six hours of sleep and then still being up at *checks watch* 00:53.

13_CBS
2008-11-16, 06:54 PM
Japanese Music.

Oh yes, I forgot. I've lately gotten into Japanese music, particularly the opening themes to certain anime, such as Excel Saga and Toradora (god I love that series in all its incarnations).

Mordokai
2008-11-16, 06:59 PM
Welll, planning to get into bed at 22:30 to get at least six hours of sleep and then still being up at *checks watch* 00:53.

What, you too?

We could found a club, or something...

Player_Zero
2008-11-16, 07:03 PM
Six hours? I can barely cope with nine... And I hardly ever get to bed before about 1AM anyway...

Eldan
2008-11-16, 07:04 PM
I make up for it on the weekends.
Example? Today I slept from about 01:00 to 16:00 straight. Same yesterday.
Also, I can make it through four hours of lectures with only five hours of sleep and a bottle of orange juice. It would be so much easier if I could stand coffee.

Mordokai
2008-11-16, 07:04 PM
Try going on five, sometimes four. Whole week long...

rubakhin
2008-11-16, 07:14 PM
... Twilight.

I know, I know. *cringes*

13_CBS
2008-11-16, 07:16 PM
... Twilight.

As in the period of the day? :smallconfused:

I mean, it's pretty and all, but I don't see how it's a guilty pleasure...

Haruki-kun
2008-11-16, 07:16 PM
... Twilight.

Meh, I read it. It was OK.

You should just remember that this forum is highly critical about pretty much any book that wasn't written by Pratchett... :smalltongue:

Eldan
2008-11-16, 07:18 PM
THERE ARE NO BOOKS NOT WRITTEN BY PRATCHETT!
Honestly? He has a few weak books. Other authors don't.

Haruki-kun
2008-11-16, 07:20 PM
Yeah, Harper Lee for example. :smalltongue:

For those who didn't get it: Harper Lee wrote one single Book in her lifetime, To Kill a Mockingbird, saying it was better to have one really good book than a whole bunch of good ones and a few bad ones. So I guess she indeed doesn't have any weak books.

@V: NO GUILT WHATSOEVER! PIXAR ROCKZ!

Lilly
2008-11-16, 07:20 PM
Pixar movies. Specifically Finding Nemo.
The Outlander books. I feel so guilty reading them.
Pink's music.

Eldan
2008-11-16, 07:22 PM
Authors without any bad books... Walter Moers. I love him his books. Sure, Terry Pratchetts best books are slightly above Moers best books, but he just has the greatest ideas.

Bitzeralisis
2008-11-16, 08:21 PM
Procrastination.
Arrogance.
Pretending to be dumber than I am...
Being weird. >.>

Helanna
2008-11-16, 09:00 PM
Japanese Music.
The Inheritance Trilogy. (Not here to discuss it.)
Artemis freakin' Fowl.

Don't worry. You're not alone! And I don't see anything "guilty" about Japanese music or Artemis Fowl. Both are very good, although I guess some people would consider Artemis Fowl to be for children. But it's good enough not to matter :smallwink:

And earlier today I created this (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node%252F3130691) thread specifically to ask for Jrock recommendations. So . . . yeah, nothing wrong with it to my eyes!

What, you too?

We could found a club, or something...

Can I join? I do that a LOT. Especially with NaNoWriMo now . . . then I sleep through my first three classes: math and two periods of physics. :smalleek: Oops.

Jenkins
2008-11-16, 09:11 PM
Emo music
Pop music
Blatantly lying about nothing important just because
Facebook
Redwall

Enlong
2008-11-16, 09:16 PM
His Dark Materials, and the movie. I can, with total sincerity, say that the Golden Compass movie was nice and quite faithful to the source material, and can't understand why so much bile is thrown at it. I even thought that cutting the ending short was a good move: it ended the movie on a nice note of closure for the first-timers, and gives fans of the whole series a knowing sense of dread for Roger, and something to look forward to in the next movie. But enough of that particular rant.

The Inheritance Trilogy. Though I have nothing but mean things to say about the movie, I at least was able to enjoy the first two books as fairly average fantasy titles. Or at least I was until the internet systematically dissected every flaw the first two books had, sucked my positive feelings for the series away, turned it into a very guilty pleasure and made me feel like a moron for enjoying the Star Wars parallels in the first place, but as Slayer said, I'm not gonna discuss that here.

ColonelFuster
2008-11-16, 09:21 PM
The Redwall series is NOT a guilty pleasure.

Actually liking Rick Astley is. (Sighs longingly)

Jalor
2008-11-16, 09:22 PM
The Current Events board on GameFAQs.
Bad crossover fanfic (Pokemon/Cthulhu Mythos, anyone?).
Good crossover fanfic (MY Pokemon/Cthulhu Mythos).
LARPing.
Things which the board rules and my own dignity prohibit discussion of.

...Yeah, that's all of it.

Chetchaka
2008-11-16, 09:27 PM
Guilty pleasures of mine include but are not limited at all to:

Thrash-y/Emo-ish music (Think Lostprophets, MCR etc.)

Being way too freaking nostalgic, causing me to overestimate the actual awesomeness of something.

Anything Don Bluth so much as happens to sneeze on.

Ivius
2008-11-16, 09:34 PM
Sometimes I wait a few seconds before fleeing the room when I hear a Rush song from the 80s.

Collin152
2008-11-16, 09:39 PM
... Twilight.

Awww, here, take comfort in my arms! I liked it too, kinda.
Certainly not in the way the author intended, though...

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-16, 09:39 PM
Dude, I love 80's music! My sister does too.

Atomsized
2008-11-16, 09:43 PM
Procrastination.
Probably Japanese Music.
Movies with really really flashy colors. (The Demented Cartoon Movie)
Resisting to grow up.

Ivius
2008-11-16, 09:46 PM
Dude, I love 80's music! My sister does too.

Rush in the 80s pretty much became the complete opposite of what they used to be, with 2:00, keyboard driven songs. Other music from the 80s is generally pretty decent.

Moff Chumley
2008-11-16, 09:57 PM
Rush in the 80s pretty much became the complete opposite of what they used to be, with 2:00, keyboard driven songs. Other music from the 80s is generally pretty decent.

What do you have against keyboards?
I spend about four hours a week in my local instrument shop. I can name almost every Yes, ELP, Dream Theater, and Pink Floyd album in order.

Jalor
2008-11-16, 09:59 PM

No, the lyrics actually got better. They basically went up to eleven.

Ivius
2008-11-16, 10:24 PM
Alright, before this turns into a flamewar, I just think that synth sounds best when used in moderation, and I think Rush went a little overboard.

The Orange Zergling
2008-11-16, 10:33 PM
I thought Dirge of Cerberus was kinda fun.
I like (most of, some of it's crap but the rest is good) Nickelback.
I like the Inheritance series.
I usually only like metal, the harder the better, but I've sometimes listened to Never Gonna Give You Up all the way through.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-11-16, 10:40 PM
Bad crossover fanfic (Pokemon/Cthulhu Mythos, anyone?).
Good crossover fanfic (MY Pokemon/Cthulhu Mythos).

I read a crossover of The King in Yellow, Azumanga Daioh, Exalted, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

To this day I don't know if it was terrible or awesome.

I'd nth the Japanese music, due to the amount of anime I've watched, but neither of these are "Guilty" to me.

Gray Jester
2008-11-16, 11:20 PM
Guilty pleasures:
-Poetic Justice. I like it. Or even just revenge.
-Being a good person. (Sorry, sorry, I'm trying to reform!)
-Being humble (It happens. I try to hide it, though, wouldn't want anyone knowing.)
-Dancing (Modern, and with glowsticks on strings, and a bit of liquiding/tutting, but the last part is only half decently)
-Shake it, by Metro Station, and Iris, by the Goo Goo Dolls (Emotional value, too.)

Pleasures:
-Ice cream
-More ice cream
-Being the most geeky person I know, sometimes.

Krytha
2008-11-16, 11:27 PM
I like foreign music, but I don't consider it a guilty pleasure unless you like listening to the songs where they randomly shout English phrases in broken accents in the middle of the song.

"PYuu-UU Haa-too. II ROVV UUUU!"

*cringe*

Sneak
2008-11-16, 11:34 PM
Electric Dream Machine.

Haruki-kun
2008-11-17, 12:00 AM
The Redwall series is NOT a guilty pleasure.

Actually liking Rick Astley is. (Sighs longingly)

That depends on whether you liked him before Rick Rolling appeared or after. :smalltongue:

Also, why do people seem to think of Procrastination as a Guilty Pleasure? :smallconfused:

Sneak
2008-11-17, 12:03 AM
Also, why do people seem to think of Procrastination as a Guilty Pleasure? :smallconfused:

Because it's something that you're not supposed to do, but you can't help but enjoy it. For example, sometimes I can't finish my posts. I just kind of trail off at the end and hit submit reply. But I really enjoy that. So yeah, I think that would be another guilty pleasure of mine. Now, I know that that's not really following proper forum etiquette and all that, but I

Jenkins
2008-11-17, 12:05 AM
Because it's something that you're not supposed to do, but you can't help but enjoy it. For example, sometimes I can't finish my posts. I just kind of trail off at the end and hit submit reply. But I really enjoy that. So yeah, I think that would be another guilty pleasure of mine. Now, I know that that's not really following proper forum etiquette and all that, but I

But you? What?
Oh.
OH.
Oh you're good. You're real good.

lol

Sneak
2008-11-17, 12:08 AM
But you? What?
Oh.
OH.

lol

Yeah, see what I did there? See what I did there?

Pretty good, eh? Right? Right? Yeah?

I thought so.

Carry on then.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-17, 12:34 AM
But you? What?
Oh.
OH.

lol

Yeah, I once wrote a little paper for an English class. It was about what my life would be like if I couldn't use language. I described how I used language every minute or so and I would be completely debilitated without it. I ended it with:

"Even if I only lost a smaller language-related ability, such as my ability to type,"

That was it, that was the end. The teacher thought it was funny. :smallsmile:

Oh! Right! Guilty pleasures. Well, let's see, probably the foremost one is spending too much time on teh Blagotubes, but oh well. I don't count time on GitP as wasted in any case, though :smallwink:.

And, yeah, 80's rule! Synthpop FTW! Thomas Dolby! A-ha! Yaaaay! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I used to read the Redwall series all the time. My family called them the Rat Boys books :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:. I'm not so much into them anymore, but occasionally I'll go back and read one again.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-17, 01:40 AM
Okay I'm gonna give another one.

Who here besides me found Totally Spies! entertaining for completely different reasons than the creators probably intended?

(It was the "Passion Patties" episode for me.)

ghost_warlock
2008-11-17, 02:56 AM
Guilty pleasures? Oh, man, I'm not sure if I should even get started...

Meh, I guess I'll list a few...

A certain webcomic abbreviated as ma3.
Listening to Crossfade
A lot of other angsty, depressing music I listen to when I'm feeling wansty.
Being occasionally wangsty in general.
Lisa Loeb.
Looking up Rule 34 images just to see what will show up.
Lots of other stuff I'm not supposed to talk about on these forums.
Dead Baby Jokes. There, I said it. If I survive 'Baby Week' without getting banned, it'll be a miracle. :smallfrown: I'm considering taking the week off of posting.
Editted in: I've recently taken to combining curse words, or other impolite slang, in an attempt to come up with something even more offensive.

Meh, I'm going to stop there. :smallsigh:

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-17, 03:08 AM
Twilight
Rick Astley
Paramour
So You Think You Can Dance
America's Next Top Model
Black Eyed Peas
Star Wars prequel trilogy...especially II. >>
BeatlesSlash. S'right. I ship the Beatles.

Alarra
2008-11-17, 03:24 AM
Paramour's a guilty pleasure? I love them.

Anyway.....
Music:
Aqua
80s and early 90s pop (yes, I'm a huge fan of ace of base, tiffany, early madonna, paula abdul)
Mariah Carey (though I suppose this falls under early 90s pop, since I only really liked Hero and the album that had the duet with boys to men)

TV:
reality tv - sadly almost all of it. love survivor, amazing race, top chef, make me a supermodel, big brother, project runway is my favorite show.
lifetime movies
cheesy 80s romance flicks

Books:
romance novels
I'm a harry potter fangirl - I have the books in hardcover, paperback, cd, cassette (the first 4), british (the first 4), special edition (the first 3), the extra school books they put out, a symbolism in harry potter book, all of the movies that are out, plus numerous knick knacks and keychains and journals and stickers and various other memorabilia related to them.

Games:
I play solitaire and minesweeper for hours and hours.
I loooooove ddr, although I fail miserably at it.
I am a rummy fiend.

Thiel
2008-11-17, 05:07 AM
Paramour's a guilty pleasure? I love them.

Anyway.....
Music:
Aqua
80s and early 90s pop (yes, I'm a huge fan of ace of base, tiffany, early madonna, paula abdul)
Mariah Carey (though I suppose this falls under early 90s pop, since I only really liked Hero and the album that had the duet with boys to men)
Are we talking about the Danish-Norwegian bad that made Barbie Girl? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njCufRcAWVA) *Shudders*

Anyway, on to my guilty pleasures:
Watching old cartoons I saw when I was a kid. (Spider-Man, Tail-Spin, etc.)
Watching old cartoons I didn't get to see when I was a kid. Don't look at me like that. Some of us didn't have cable back then.
LEGO
Playing Tetris and Super Mario on my Gameboy. It's one of the original ones.

Coidzor
2008-11-17, 05:38 AM
When I get rickrolled... I don't get pissed off unless it tries to crash my browser. And I actually do usually listen to 3/4 to all of the song.

And there's just something about singing it to other people and seeing the looks of either horror or rapture on their faces...

edit: don't forget to add in staying up to 5 AM or worse on school nights...ARGH!

ghost_warlock
2008-11-17, 06:08 AM
When I get rickrolled... I don't get pissed off unless it tries to crash my browser. And I actually do usually listen to 3/4 to all of the song.

And there's just something about singing it to other people and seeing the looks of either horror or rapture on their faces...

You should look up the 'literal rickroll' version sometimes, it's a hoot! :smallcool:

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-11-17, 06:17 AM
Tormenting Twilight fans. The author portrays a seriously unhealthy relationship in them, then is sick enough to make the characters within that relationship protagonists! He's excessively controlling/manipulative and she's a juvenile waste of air that throws temper tantrums when she doesn't get her way!

Certain types of emo-ish music, though none of that pathetic tripe that is really lyrical whining. I'm talking stuff like I'll Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cap for Cutie and darn near anything by Snow Patrol and The Postal Service.

Alarra
2008-11-17, 09:30 AM
Are we talking about the Danish-Norwegian bad that made Barbie Girl? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njCufRcAWVA) *Shudders* That'd be the one.

I also don't really mind being rick-rolled. I almost always listen all the way through, and find myself singing along in spite of myself.

Thufir
2008-11-17, 09:35 AM
I... don't think I have any guilty pleasures. I have pleasures other people would feel guilty about...

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-17, 09:41 AM
Guilty Pleasures...

TV Shows:

1) Jon and Kate Plus 8: My wife got me into this...
2) Ace of Cakes: I like cake...

Movies:

1) ...The Notebook... >>
2) All Movie Musicals (Sound of Music, Newsies, etc)

Miscellany:

1) Broadway Musicals (My wife says I'm like a Gay man that loves women)
2) Travis Tritt (Country Singer)
3) Ballet

I hate being put on the spot... I will have to edit this list in a bit.

Drascin
2008-11-17, 09:53 AM
Shojou manga series.

Edit: To clarify, I actually don't like the sappy romance (stop looking at me like that!), I mostly read certain shojou manga series for the wacky character interactions (such as Special A).

I personally read Chobits when I was at my cousin's house, and loved it to bits, and not because of the fanservice. It's just so... adorable. I've read a few more other shoujo mangas, but nothing has quite captivated me like Chobits yet.

Anyway, guilty pleasures... the thing is, I don't really feel guilty over anything I enjoy. But a few things I do that many people would consider guilt-worthy:

- Enjoy playing the Pokémon games. What's more, enjoy playing with my six-year-old sis, which at times includes enacting mock live-action pokémon battles (she generally calvinballs her way to a win, though, the little munchkin :smallbiggrin:).
- In fact, widen that statement to "enjoy playing a lot of games that most people my age would dismiss as too cartoony" (I'm twenty, I'm suppossed to be trying to be all adult and cool and stuff :smallamused:).
- Enjoy doujin, and fanfic when I find a good one. You'd be surprised at the faces of horror I get at that. "Fanfic? But that's for over-obsessed freaks!". Gee, and I was thinking of trying my hand at it, thanks for the compliment.
- Actually prefer old cartoons to almost every live-action comedy in TV. Though this is more due to the fact that every one of those bases itself in making someone embarrassed or miserable for the episode, and I'm hyperempathic.

And then there's a lot more things I do, but that's more puntual stuff.

Jack Squat
2008-11-17, 10:03 AM
2) Ace of Cakes: I like cake...

I watch this too...it's one of the few shows I'll watch.

I kind of enjoy Just Shoot Me when my friend has it on, I guess that's a guilty pleasure.

Vagnarok
2008-11-17, 10:24 AM
I'm having trouble thinking of things that I guiltily enjoy...

I guess I'd have to say that my guilty pleasures are:
-Symphonic or Melodic Metal
-Science Fiction Novels
-Salt

Thiel
2008-11-17, 10:30 AM

-Science Fiction Novels
-Salt

Since when has reading science fiction become a guilty pleasure?

Vagnarok
2008-11-17, 10:44 AM
I guess it shouldn't be. My colleagues in the Anthropology dept of the U of Minnesota don't look too highly upon it (or so I've been made to believe).

three08
2008-11-17, 10:52 AM
well eff your colleagues then. eff them so hard. william gibson is one of the most interesting authors of the last 50 years.

also, i refuse to allow you to feel guilty about listening to synthpop. remember: pop music is not a crime.

only thing i can think of as a guilty pleasure that's fit for print is heroes, the tv show. the writing is actually pretty terrible. (no, really, it is. i'm sorry, but it is.) so why can't i help myself?

Castaras
2008-11-17, 11:19 AM

:smallconfused: I didn't really think there was much synth in the 80s Rush. Not as much as other stuff I listen to.

But if Rush is a guilty pleasure, then yes, I am extremely guilty to love Rush. :smallbiggrin:

Games:
I play solitaire and minesweeper for hours and hours.

Solitaire and Freecell here.

-Science Fiction Novels
-Salt

Check, check, check. Symphonic metal = awesome.

Other guilty pleasures...

- Giantitp! :smallbiggrin:
- Anarchy Online. Everyone IRL says I'm stupid for playing it and should go to WoW or FlyFF, but I won't! AO is much more interesting than both of those. FlyFF was too simple, and WoW was too much running around in between grinding, and too much drama compared to AO. Although...AO does have quite a bit. But anyway
- Ex-Runescaper. Yes, I used to play Runescape. Yes, I had fun. Yes, I was the leader of a Clan (one thing I regret doing is handing over leadership in that clan...but that's a different story. :smallsigh:). Sue me. :smallcool:
- Knitting. What? It's fun, relaxing, and helps me take out my stress. <.<

Leigh
2008-11-17, 11:37 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned High School Musical. :smalltongue:

Ehh... my biggest is probably the Inheritance trilogy >.>
And being able to read/write 1337...
Oh! And Lost all the way! :smallbiggrin:

Quincunx
2008-11-17, 11:49 AM
Eating fish. Depopulating the seas, one sardine at a time! Also entirely not within the budget, which is why I'm sticking to sardines instead of, say, bluefin tuna steak.

Fashion design. The recent low point was walking past a shop window and commenting, "saw that coming six months ago". (The 'pleasure' comes from drafting patterns of my own, the 'guilt' from being able to spot trends.)

As someone else commented, inventive vulgarities. Certain people will make sure I do not live down the 'waffle incident' or the 'blue showers' remark any time soon.

Music. No matter the type, I won't listen to it without headphones.

Spiryt
2008-11-17, 11:55 AM
Music. No matter the type, I won't listen to it without headphones.

Yeah....

I just grew to attached to headphones. Even though I know that things should sound better without them and that listening to lound metal with headphones isn't too good for my ears, things just don't sound OK without headphones.

Weird.

blackfox
2008-11-17, 11:56 AM
Well, let's see...

Slacking off in AP Computer science and posting on GitP?
But for real...
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Gigglefits
Watching music videos because the singers are hot
Flash versions of ancient Sonic games
The FCC Song
Singing along with Disney movies
DVD special features
Gratuitous junk food
I may or may not be addicted to oxygen.
Non-guilty pleasures... I have a lot more of those. :smallamused:

Faceist
2008-11-17, 11:58 AM
Rush are so not a guilty pleasure. A guilty pleasure is if, faced with a choice between saving Neil Peart and your girlfriends lives, you'd immediately jump for Peart. Bonus points if in this hypothetical scenario, you save him by extending a drumstick instead of your hand.

Yeah. Also, I've wrote a few fanfics. Including alternate scripts for Episodes 1, 2, and 3, though I count that less as a guilty pleasure and more as my solemn duty as a Star Wars fanboy.

Haruki-kun
2008-11-17, 12:06 PM
Looking up Rule 34 images just to see what will show up.

EVERYTHING shows up. That's the whole point of Rule 34. I mean once I looked up CandleJack images, and imagine my surp

ghost_warlock
2008-11-17, 12:09 PM
EVERYTHING shows up. That's the whole point of Rule 34. I mean once I looked up CandleJack images, and imagine my surp

What I meant was simply doing a Google image search for "Rule 34."

In case anyone doesn't already know, this is NOT SAFE FOR WORK. And you probably shouldn't do it anyway, anywhere.

This idea for 'entertainment' did not come from me - blame TVTropes.

Mando Knight
2008-11-17, 12:19 PM
Shojou manga series.

Hey, that's fine by me! Some of the shojou manga is better than a lot of the shounen stuff... I just have other needs and habits that have my money's attention...

My guilty(?) pleasures...

WotC minis (esp. Star Wars)... I got a Vader Unleashed the other day from a pack at my FLGS...

Genesis-era Sonic games... It really is good, guys... and gals! [/St. Louis-area reference]

Soundtracks to Dreamcast and later Sonic games--it seems like Jun Senoue is the only one who works on Sonic games that still thinks that they should be good. (either that, or the awesomeness of his music leaves no room on the budget for any more awesome...)

Archonic Energy
2008-11-17, 12:27 PM
i suppose mine are...
telling jokes no-one in the room understands. (usually physics based)
watching really BAD movies for laughs.
listening to music older than me & saying how they were better live...
goes double for Classical! (Beethoven was mean Harpsichord player:smallwink:)

Highlander: the series
Dune (the movie... i really liked it! although i understand why i shouldn't)
CAD. (no, not computer aided design)

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-17, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned High School Musical. :smalltongue:

That is far beyond Guilty.
That's, like, being sentenced for life because whatever you did, you did it infront of three thousand people, and they had it on three different cameras.

..Ick, by the way. Ick.

Em Blackleaf
2008-11-17, 02:56 PM
The song, "Guilty Pleasure" by Cobra Starship. :smalltongue:

No one has mentioned High School Musical because no one gains pleasure from it. :smallyuk: :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2008-11-17, 03:03 PM
(Beethoven was mean Harpsichord player:smallwink:)

Harpsichord. Is. Awesome. When played correctly, at least...

And now for the theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM1MxrWLfng) of an extremely creepy guy (http://serenesforest.net/media/fe10illust/e/oliver_en.png), played on harpsichord.

Helanna
2008-11-17, 03:21 PM
-Science Fiction Novels
-Salt

. . . But none of those are 'guilty'. :smallconfused: Unless you're telling me that people think symphonic metal is bad, in which case I have . . . very strong words for them. :smallfurious: I don't know what I'd do without my symphonic metal!

And salt? I guess it's not very healthy . . .

That is far beyond Guilty.
That's, like, being sentenced for life because whatever you did, you did it infront of three thousand people, and they had it on three different cameras.

..Ick, by the way. Ick.

HEY! This is for GUILTY pleasures. People come here for reassurance that they're not horrible people for liking these things! . . . wait, that's just me? Ah well, it's still mean. :smallbiggrin:

Two more for me: I like to read Ctrl-Alt-Del and Dominic Deegan . . . and NOT just for the snarking! *dramatic gasp* Although I do post in the DD Snark thread quite often.

Comet
2008-11-17, 03:28 PM
Dune (the movie... i really liked it! although i understand why i shouldn't)
I liked that movie too. The visuals were impressive. The Dune miniseries was godawful, though.

As for guilty pleasures, I do enjoy reading subpar literature moreso than I would like to admit *coughDresdenFilescough*. Do note however that even I can be bored out of my skull by too much crappy fiction consumed in a rapidfire fashion. Too much is too much.

Coidzor
2008-11-17, 03:46 PM
You should look up the 'literal rickroll' version sometimes, it's a hoot! :smallcool:

...Thank you kind sir. Thank you. *tears up a little bit*

the HZ
2008-11-17, 03:56 PM
Anime. I'm hardly an anime nut, but I watch it sometimes. Mostly because it's often unintentionally hilarious. The thing I love most is taking screenshots when something weird happens, and they get even funnier when taken completely out of context.

Maybe I'll post a few some day, if anyone would like to see them.

Collin152
2008-11-17, 06:16 PM
Tormenting Twilight fans. The author portrays a seriously unhealthy relationship in them, then is sick enough to make the characters within that relationship protagonists! He's excessively controlling/manipulative and she's a juvenile waste of air that throws temper tantrums when she doesn't get her way!

Yes.
On the bright side, it makes a good litmus test for whether or not a person would be good in a relationship. Just ask for their opinions on the dynamics of the Edward-Bella relationship, and measure their revulsion vs their dreamy-eyed misplaced optimism.

Raz_Fox
2008-11-17, 06:55 PM
I'll probably add more examples again and again. :smalltongue:

- Reading fantasy novels at the drop of a hat. Really, that's like 80% of everything I read.
- Yu-gi-oh The Abridged Series. I really shouldn't be listening to that kind of language, but it's just so hilarious. Yu-gi-oh the Real Series as well.
- Oh, did I mention adding YGOTABS references to the games I play? I've made Duke Devlin into a Luck god, Seto Kaiba into the ruler of my mortal nation in a God Game and having Bandit Keith be his lieutenant, and I'll be playing Bakura Boqura in a Wicked- based campaign. Beguiler and card-based magic fit together well.
- Marvel Comics. Especially Marvel 1602. That's just awesome.
- WARHAMMER!!! Need I say more?
- Annoying others. Bonus points if it's a girl.
- Stealing hats and then handing them back with a grin on my face.
- Listening to Rammstein and realizing this is what it would sound like if the Nazgul formed a rock band.
- Explaining to people that the only Rock band I listen to regularly is from Canada.
- Daydreaming what would happen if I had a TARDIS, especially one with a Paradox Machine attached. I think a reoccuring daydream had my parallel twin leading a mercenary organization called Kolditz. And he dual-wielded energy pistols. And there were Jagers.

Jack Squat
2008-11-17, 07:12 PM
- Explaining to people that the only Rock band I listen to regularly is from Canada.

would it be The Guess Who/Bachman Turner Overdrive, Bryan Adams, Loverboy, Steppenwolf, Rush, Barenaked Ladies, or Nickelback?

There's other popular ones, but I decided to keep it short

Helanna
2008-11-17, 07:40 PM
- Reading fantasy novels at the drop of a hat. Really, that's like 80% of everything I read.

Pfft, you think that's bad? Add nineteen percent, or 20 percent if we're counting Sci-Fi as fantasy.

That's not entirely true of course. My English teacher forces us to read this non-fantasy stuff like "Shakespeare" and such junk. :smalltongue:

Vella_Malachite
2008-11-17, 09:41 PM
Well...

I like weirding people out. Especially when it's saying I think, like or believe something most sane people would never expect me to think, like or believe, ever. For instance, I have a friend that, on some level, thinks people should all fit into categories. Mostly, she can categorise people. I deliberately do things like tell her I like Nickelback and 80's rock bands, then read and write fantasy, am interested in schoolwork, then break it to her that I like DnD and cooking. Then, when she comes over, I reveal my nailpolish collection, from an aunt who works for Avon. Just when she thinks she's got me sorted, I add something else. But she's just such an easy target >.<

I like writing fanfiction occasionally. Don't hurt me. I always steer my OC's well out of Mary Sue territory if I can avoid it (and I can) and never write slash or fix fics. I will admit I occasionally like reading some of the less weird slash, though.

I likes my anime and manga. Especially Death Note.

I admit to fangirlish tendencies towards certain characters in fantasy novels...But Xanth is just so cute...

And...oh, yeah. Pastries are my weakness. So are cakes and biscuits. Especially homebaked. My homemade biscuits are far too tasty for my own good >.<

That's all.

ghost_warlock
2008-11-17, 10:45 PM
I like weirding people out. Especially when it's saying I think, like or believe something most sane people would never expect me to think, like or believe, ever.
I also enjoy this sort of thing, but I tend to go more towards the TMI biological-information squick route. :smallamused:

I like writing fanfiction occasionally. Don't hurt me. I always steer my OC's well out of Mary Sue territory if I can avoid it (and I can) and never write slash or fix fics. I will admit I occasionally like reading some of the less weird slash, though
You should stop by our local fic compendium/creation-station (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95163). Maybe you'll see something you enjoy and you're certainly welcome to add to the menagerie. :smallsmile: Personally, I don't do much 'shipping in my contributions; most of mine are based more firmly in fantasy adventure stuff (I do write in a degree of romance for the fangirls I'm hoping to one day acquire, though). :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Guilty Pleasure: Shameless Plugs. :smallcool:

Pyrian
2008-11-17, 10:48 PM
I enjoy being feared. I'm like, almost totally harmless, but sometimes I can't resist the temptation to encourage people to think otherwise. :smallamused:

Raz_Fox
2008-11-17, 10:52 PM
would it be The Guess Who/Bachman Turner Overdrive, Bryan Adams, Loverboy, Steppenwolf, Rush, Barenaked Ladies, or Nickelback?

Rush. :smallbiggrin:

And deathdragon, it's only 80% because I have the strength of will to occasionally branch out. That, and stuff I'm forced to read for school. :smallsigh:

KerfuffleMach2
2008-11-17, 11:09 PM
Now, as you read this list, keep in mind, I'm 20.

Harry Potter
K'NEX
Hot Wheels
Disney stuff
Bubble Wrap
Paperboy
Fairly Oddparents
Spongebob
Stuffed animals (specifically monkeys)
Slinkys
Frickin Magna Doodle
Weird Al
The song Barbie Girl. But only the Rammstein version

Castel
2008-11-17, 11:29 PM
Guilty Pleasures:

I kinda like the cartoon Ying yang yo.
Ditto for El Tigre... actually, make that most of nickelodeons old cartoons (except rugrats)

I love MMORPG's (Specially Ragnarok online... Mexican thing, I believe.)
I spend more than 6 hours on said games every once in a while.

I sometimes enjoy being unemployed.

So... this confession will let my sins be forgiven right?

Kuma Da
2008-11-18, 12:44 AM
Hmm. Lesse...

1) J-pop (which I pretend counts as 'studying,' since I spent two years as a Japanese major,)

2) Music that tells a story. Cheesy, yes. But I absolutely adore bands like Coheed & Cambria, Armor for Sleep, and The Protomen.

3) A friend of mine's been writing an epic fantasy for a while now. It's volumes long. And I ship it. Not, like, in the mail. The two of us chat about which character pairings would be OMG phenomenal. Yeah.

And then I have to go bench-press a gorilla or something to reassert that I'm a dude.

4) Possibly the worst of all: Vampire Hunter D.

No, not the anime. The novels. The glorious, wonderful, badly translated pulpy novels. They are like chocolate for the writer's soul; reassuring in their badness, and also an unintentional comedy goldmine.

I ration them carefully, on the basis that one day they might run out:smalleek:

Pyrian
2008-11-18, 01:00 AM
So my mom and I took my niece, Jaiden, to Pixie Hollow in Disneyland to meet Tinkerbell. They had three gorgeous women there maybe half my age dressed up in Faerie outfits as Silvermist, Fawn, and Tinkerbell. OMG LUUUUUUUUUST... They were posing for pictures with all the wide-eyed little girls like my niece. I must've turned bright red as Tinkerbell gave Jaiden a hug and posed for a picture with her. "And does this gentleman want to get a picture with Tinkerbell?" :gulp: "...I think I should go..."

I've never felt like quite such a dirty old man before. :smallyuk:

KKL
2008-11-18, 01:19 AM
Guilty Pleasures?

I like Avril What'shername's Girlfriend song. I hate the lyrics, but I...like it at the same time >_>

It's catchy.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-18, 01:23 AM
Guilty Pleasures?

I like Avril What'shername's Girlfriend song. I hate the lyrics, but I...like it at the same time >_>

It's catchy.
<<
Seconded
>>
:: hides::

ghost_warlock
2008-11-18, 01:24 AM
Guilty Pleasures?

It's catchy.

:smallmad: The word you're looking for is 'viral.'

I hate almost all modern pop music for this very reason. They get in your head and won't go away!

@V: :smallconfused::smalleek: I didn't even notice that... I just read the post and went off into rant mode. :smallsigh:

Edit: Note to self - on this post, my little sister was born.

KKL
2008-11-18, 01:25 AM
:smallmad: The word you're looking for is 'viral.'

Are you referring to the lovely gentlemen in my avatar?

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-11-18, 01:32 AM
Pyrian: Oh come now! Everyone should know by now that Tink is good ol american fanservice. :smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2008-11-18, 04:28 AM

so apart from The Guess Who/Bachman Turner Overdrive, Bryan Adams, Loverboy, Steppenwolf, Rush, Barenaked Ladies, and Nickelback what have the Canadians ever done for us?

:smallamused:

oh and add Yu-Gi-Oh! to my list... :smallredface:

Linkavitch
2008-11-18, 12:35 PM
Elite Beat Agents. Really lame game for the DS, but surprisingly addicting anyhow.

Leigh
2008-11-18, 12:40 PM
>.>
<.<
...Jesse McCartney...
*flees*

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-18, 12:57 PM
:smallconfused: Who's he?

hamishspence
2008-11-18, 02:32 PM
I remember one of the songs at a Christmas play:

"Cos it's another catchy song
And you just gotta sing along
It doesn't matter that the words mean nothing
Cos it's another catchy song"

Haruki-kun
2008-11-18, 04:36 PM
<<
Seconded
>>
:: hides::

....what? It's a good song!

....'s long as you never listen to it in a language other than English. *shudders*

Coidzor
2008-11-18, 04:55 PM
Guilty Pleasures?

It's catchy.

The weird thing is that I keep wanting to make a parody of that song involving rampant lesbianism.

Vuzzmop
2008-11-18, 11:36 PM
Wow, four pages. You guys have a lot more problems than I expected.:smalltongue:

Pyrian
2008-11-18, 11:42 PM
...Really? :smallamused:

ghost_warlock
2008-11-19, 12:04 AM
Wow, four pages. You guys have a lot more problems than I expected.:smalltongue:

If you really want to know what's wrong with me, though, you should come over to my place. That's right, down into the basement...I've got the charts and Power Point presentation set up down there. Never mind those stains on the floor, those were from this place's previous owner.

Noises? I don't hear anything. Eh, maybe it's rats. Oh, the do grow quite large down here.

Just a little further, past the hole in the foundation. Yeah, we can totally step into the basement of the house next door here. Yeah, that hole over there leads into the sewers, why do you ask?

Here, let me show you some of my paintings. Most of these aren't finished, I know, but I think you can still make out the subject matter fairly well.

Yeah, I totally made these things up. They are so not true-to-life representations of the creatures that haunt the local cemetaries or lurk down in the sewers.

Well, yeah, I guess there is pretty easy access to this room from the sewers. I hadn't really thought much about that before, heh.

Hey, see this hole in the floor over here, the round one with the wood panelling over. Why don't you go take a look in there, I store some of my best art down there. It's cool and dry, you see.

That's right, move the panelling.

What? No, those stains are totally rust stains and not blood. No, I think that's a piece of rock, not a fingernail. Man, you sure are a suspicious fella!

Yeah, so what do you think of the photos down in the hole? Yeah, I took them myself. Well, some of them. My girlfriend took the others. She's a much better photographer when she's not trying to go join her fellows at the kill site...I mean, picnic. Yeah, picnic.

She's coming over later. You should meat her.

What? No, I clearly said 'meet' her. How could you think I said 'meat,' anyway, this is supposed to be spoken dialogue.

Knocking? Oh, yeah, I suppose I do hear some knocking. Maybe it's my girlfriend.

Oh, yeah, it is! And, look, she's brought some of her friends! No, I'm sure that's a roast they're carrying and passing around taking bites out of and totally not a baby.

Ugly? Rubbery? That's not a very nice thing to say about your host's girlfriend and her friends! You sure are ungrateful! Here I'm offering you a chance to meat some of the...

Yes, I totally said 'meet,' not 'meat!'

Oh, look, I think they like you. I don't see them sniffing people quite so much that they don't like.

Oh, don't be so squemish. They're just licking you because they like you, kinda like how a dog does. They're totally not tasting you.

Here, put on this 'lotion,' it'll keep your skin from getting chaffed by their tongues.

No, it's not barbeque sauce. I like to be eco-friendly is all. Reduce, reuse, recycle and all that.

No, seriously, you should put on some 'lotion.' It'll be good for you.

Yes, you have to.

Do it!

IT RUBS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!!!!!

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-19, 12:08 AM
-snip-
You disturb me.
I rather like you.

ghost_warlock
2008-11-19, 01:43 AM
You disturb me.
I rather like you.

:smalleek::smallredface:

Awwww... :smallsmile: Maybe you could have me for dinner sometime.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-19, 02:58 AM
:smalleek::smallredface:

Awwww... :smallsmile: Maybe you could have me for dinner sometime.

:smallsmile:
NomnomnomGhostNomnomnom

ghost_warlock
2008-11-19, 03:44 AM
:smallsmile:
NomnomnomGhostNomnomnom

I'm delicious! :smalltongue:

I'm also good with syrup. Would you like chocolate, strawberry, or maple? I've also got some curry paste, if that's your pleasure. :smallsmile:

Mmmm...curry *noms self*

Edit: I just noticed that I've posted in this thread more than anyone else. :smalleek: C'mon, people, get more guilty about your pleasures! :smallmad: Then post about them!

Coidzor
2008-11-19, 05:16 AM
alright, fine evil goatee man... I give off the appearance of being a shameless flirt and incapable of embarrassing myself but I'm actually not at all...err.... I actually derive great pleasure from embarrassing (or at least, making myself feel embarrassment/red in the face) myself in front of girls I like, and to a lesser extent my guy friends, and how girls react to it is sometimes how I detemine whether I'll crush on them in a major way or not... And yet none of my girlfriends has ever noticed or grasped this.....

...I also inexplicably enjoy acting much less intelligent than I am and seeing how long it takes other people to notice that I'm intentionally acting this way. Unfortunately sometimes people catch on and decide to up the ante by just becoming meanspirited about it and insulting me, which always bewilders me, since I'm almost never rude or hostile about things when I'm putting on a show.

KKL
2008-11-19, 05:50 AM
Might as well post again since I hate writing fluff.

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I become antagonistic towards people, especially if I create a crapstorm. The feeling is really, really pleasant. Kinda like what love would feel like.

Inhuman Bot
2008-11-19, 09:24 AM
*post*
O.o

Player_Zero
2008-11-19, 09:32 AM
Elite Beat Agents. Really lame game for the DS, but surprisingly addicting anyhow.

It is not lame! Nor is Ouendan!

Music lives!

Ou... Ou... Ou...

OOOUUUUEEEENNNNDAAAAAAAAAN!!!

OSU! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gtQDOQmcaTM)

OSU! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y9V2hNiRCg0)

Sekai wa Sore o Ai to Yobundaze!! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=frQhKaDMfXU)

DigoDragon
2008-11-19, 09:47 AM
Guilty pleasures? You mean like watching PBS Kids with my daughter and singing the Word Girl theme with her or enjoying reading a certain comic strip a little more then OotS since it's more my genre or drawing content of questionable merit for fun an profit (but mostly profit)??

Nah, don't have any. :smallamused:

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-19, 09:49 AM
Edit: I just noticed that I've posted in this thread more than anyone else. :smalleek: C'mon, people, get more guilty about your pleasures! :smallmad: Then post about them!

Maybe you just have the most guilt? I mean, is it how you were raised?

I rarely feel guilt about my pleasures... :smalltongue:

Dirk Kris
2008-11-19, 10:12 AM
80's music ("Wake me up before you go-go, don't leave me hangin' on like a yo-yo!" ...yeah, THAT 80's music)
Andrew Lloyd Webber songs
pop music (yeah, like Britney Spears and boy bands)
Tootsie Rolls - I could LIVE off of them
horror movies - doesn't matter how bad or cheesy they are
Monty Python
GitP!

>.>
<.<

...karaoke.

three08
2008-11-19, 10:21 AM
i guess if we're getting into specific songs.... flashing lights by kanye west.

it is very catchy. i routinely fail my will save to avoid liking it.

but, really, mr west? the dissolution of your relationship is like a natural disaster that killed thousands and left tens of thousands more homeless? oh, you poor dear.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-19, 10:27 AM
>.>
<.<

...karaoke.

>>
<<

We should go together sometime

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-19, 10:44 AM
>>
<<

We should go together sometime

Can I come? I do a mean Queen "Another One Bites the Dust" :smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-19, 10:48 AM
i guess if we're getting into specific songs.... flashing lights by kanye west.

it is very catchy. i routinely fail my will save to avoid liking it.

but, really, mr west? the dissolution of your relationship is like a natural disaster that killed thousands and left tens of thousands more homeless? oh, you poor dear.

I actually like quite a bit of his music.
Its a shame, isn't it? v.v

Thufir
2008-11-19, 11:02 AM
...karaoke.

You feel guilty about that? :smallconfused:

Dirk Kris
2008-11-19, 11:03 AM
DIRK'S KARAOKE LIST OF FAVORITE SONGS TO SING NO MATTER HOW BADLY:

Picture - Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock
Hanging By a Moment - Lifehouse
Drops of Jupiter - Train
Meet Virginia - Train
Bring Me To Life - Evanescence
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-a-Lot
Love Shack - B-52's
My Heart Will Go On - Celene Dion
I Touch Myself - The Divinyls
Stay - Lisa Loeb
Barely Breathing - Duncan Sheik
anything by System of a Down
Hotel California - The Eagles
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
Bust a Move - ????

...there's probably more, but those sprang to mind pretty quickly.

ghost_warlock
2008-11-19, 12:00 PM
Maybe you just have the most guilt? I mean, is it how you were raised?

I rarely feel guilt about my pleasures... :smalltongue:

Actually, if you look at the content of my posts, you'll find I have precious little guilt remaining. I just live in mortal terror of people discovering my delicious little pleasures, since I will likely be ostracized if they are discovered.

Society can be so cruel. :smallfrown:

Stay - Lisa Loeb

:smallcool:

Lisa, won't you listen, the moon shines for you.
You're tipsy, you're turning, you're alive, you are burning...

three08
2008-11-19, 12:54 PM
I actually like quite a bit of his music.
Its a shame, isn't it? v.v

many people are fond of him, my own boyfriend among them. a few of his other numbers are pretty okay, on the whole. just that specific song is an appallingly inappropriate use of hyperbole. i mean, really, kanye? the invasion of celebrities' privacy is a greater scourge than genocide, in your mind? that's... that's good to know... :smallannoyed:

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-19, 12:55 PM
Actually, if you look at the content of my posts, you'll find I have precious little guilt remaining. I just live in mortal terror of people discovering my delicious little pleasures, since I will likely be ostracized if they are discovered.

Society can be so cruel. :smallfrown:

I know, when will people learn to accept those that prey on their fellow man?

ghost_warlock
2008-11-19, 02:29 PM
I know, when will people learn to accept those that prey on their fellow man?

I can't help it! Ya'll are so tasty! :smallfrown:

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-19, 02:30 PM
I can't help it! Ya'll are so tasty! :smallfrown:

Don't forget that we provide 100% of all your daily vitamins and minerals...

(Actually, and ironically, human-meat is extremely nutritious because... well... its us...)