PDA

View Full Version : Webcomic Readers Union:(WRU) Webcomic fans Unite!

Anondurl
2008-11-16, 07:35 PM
This is a thread in which fans of comics can complain to artist for more updates and a thread in which artist can send messages to fans. A thread in which artists can announce absences or longer than usual gaps between posts. This is a thread in which the Webcomic fans can unite for the good of the playground.:smallbiggrin:

Friv
2008-11-16, 07:39 PM
Seriously?

Wouldn't that be better done through the individual forums of the webcomics in question?

Justyn
2008-11-16, 07:47 PM
Seriously?

Wouldn't that be better done through the individual forums of the webcomics in question?

Some comics have forums that are not very large, and some comics don't even have forums of their own.

Aidan305
2008-11-16, 08:14 PM
Should we strike until Dominic Deegan gets better?

Neoriceisgood
2008-11-16, 08:51 PM
Should we strike until Dominic Deegan gets better?

You only strike when victory seems plausible. :smallconfused:

Mr. Scaly
2008-11-16, 09:02 PM
You only strike when victory seems plausible. :smallconfused:

I'd settle for giving the villains back their credibility.

Helanna
2008-11-16, 09:08 PM
Ooh! I want to join! Do we get cool membership IDs?

I'm all for anything that might improve DD . . . maybe if we get enough people to email Mookie, he'll take a hint? We can start small and work our way up!

Nevitan
2008-11-16, 09:31 PM
Hmm, this is either going to work out really well, or not at all.

Anondurl
2008-11-16, 10:36 PM
au contrare! Nevtan. As soon as the artists find the thread this will become pure genus! Thank you for the idea.

Nevitan
2008-11-16, 10:39 PM
Certainly, maybe we need some form of advertisement...

Helanna
2008-11-16, 11:11 PM
We could act as a free review service. We just need to get the word out somehow . . .:smallconfused:

nooblade
2008-11-16, 11:30 PM
Solution: make a Webcomic about miserable webcomic art. Get hits. Have one person copy images and put them somewhere in the WRU webcomic, so that no-one else needs to visit the bad-art webcomic website at all, even to criticize it.

Then wait until they notice that the snark webcomic pops up on google before their bad-art webcomic. Their advertisements will become worthless, and meanwhile, the WRU webcomic can benefit from the popularity of a fully-fledged webcomic without any of the artistic effort. Also, many members of GitP would be happy to add support and snarkiness. Would require some kind of style though, like the "Mystery Sci-Fi Theatre" where robots silhouettes would interject funny comments. Except in a webcomic medium instead of a movie one. Maybe do some corrections with red lines.

For extra burn bonus points, open up a fanart section to allow people of all ages to show how their art is superior.

Or maybe a wiki would be appropriate, like tvtropes?

Another possibility would be to hijack the tvtropes on this particular topic directly, writing extensively about it. Make an entry for each individual example of poor art, then allow others to add references to various webcomic pages (or the entire comics) right there.

Anondurl
2008-11-18, 03:36 PM
Ill see what I can do about getting a banner out there for this thread. Banners are the best way of advertising. What should it look like?
If you come up with an Idea just post the idea or draw the idea (in inkscape please or some other pro drawing program just not ms paint) and post.
My idea is that if the artists see the thread they will start trying to avoid something disastrous and make more web comics without us having to fo anything.
The madness will continue.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue::smallamused:

Jayngfet
2008-11-18, 06:45 PM
A decent idea, I want in. I eagerly await banners.

Anondurl
2008-11-21, 09:58 PM
Could you give me some ideas?

RTGoodman
2008-11-21, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm not a HUGE webcomic fan or anything (I read about a dozen or so), but I'll definitely check in now and again to see how things are going here.

For a banner, I think you could probably find someone to do something cool with mixing and matching art similar to a lot of famous webcomics. Have some OotS-like stick figures, a clip-art dinosaur or something (Dinosaur Comics), regular stick-folk (XKCD), manga-style stuff (too many webcomics to name), and so on.

For everyone else, what comics do you read regularly? My list includes the following, plus some others that are gone, on indefinite hiatus, or that I only read irregularly.

-anti-Heroes (by our very own Zarah (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=32422))
-Cowbirds in Love (whose author (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=39040) is ALSO a member here)
-Daisy Owl
-Dinosaur Comics
-Garfield Minus Garfield
-Kate Beaton's Comics (yay for history and webcomics together!)
-Kukuburi
-Nedroid
-OotS (of course)
-PHD Comics (webcomic for grad students)
-XKCD

Raroy
2008-11-22, 11:38 AM
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.drunkduck.com/So_bad_it_is_horrible/index.php?p=370752

Helanna
2008-11-23, 01:01 AM
My list:

Order of the Stick
Looking for Group
Emergency Exit
Dr. McNinja
Penny Arcade
Ctrl Alt Del
8-bit theatre
Questionable Content
xkcd
Something Positive
Irregular Webcomic
Legostar Galactica
Darths & Droids
El Goonish Shive
Mezzacotta
Gunnerkrigg Court
Dominic Deegan

. . . yeah, this is why I get so little of my homework done :smallbiggrin:

shortfuse
2008-12-03, 01:54 AM
Hey my boyfriend does an awesome comic on drunk duck called Morning squirtz and another one called Slim Red Ninja that is very original.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Morning_Squirtz/

http://www.drunkduck.com/Slim_Red_Ninja/

sun_tzu
2008-12-03, 02:31 AM
This is a thread in which fans of comics can complain to artist for more updates and a thread in which artist can send messages to fans. A thread in which artists can announce absences or longer than usual gaps between posts. This is a thread in which the Webcomic fans can unite for the good of the playground.:smallbiggrin:

Given that the vast majority of webcomics are provided entirely/almost entirely for free, the concept of a webcomic reader union strikes me as rather disingenuous.

Lissou
2008-12-04, 07:37 AM
Well having all complaints about wanting more updates or thinking artists have jumped the shark in just ONE thread would definitely have its advantages...