PDA

View Full Version : Worried about losing my job

afroakuma
2008-11-16, 08:33 PM
So here's the situation, which was just relayed to me this morning:

I am under suspicion at work of avoiding (hanging up on) incoming calls, which is something of a cardinal sin at call centres. Their records indicate that calls coming through to me either fall completely silent or terminate after 2 seconds.

The problem is, it isn't me. I (and one of my supervisors) suspect it to be a glitch with the authorization code that I am required to use. I have definetely been taking calls, but they aren't being recorded.

The second problem is, some of them have been getting through - enough that I was not aware of receiving fewer calls than others, but a steep enough percentage all the same.

And the final problem, which makes me fear for my career, is that IT is saying that it is impossible for the tracking software to miss calls, and that there is no way it could be related to my authorization.

This despite the fact that on trying another user's authorization, it checked out fine. Despite the fact that I'm always placed near a supervisor, who would definetely notice if I hadn't been taking calls. And they'd certainly notice if I were hanging up.

Now I'm worried that IT or their accumulated 'evidence' of the past two months will get me booted out. My only hope is my auth code being tested with another user, but if that somehow passes, I don't see how I can possibly avoid getting fired.

Any advice?

Reinboom
2008-11-16, 08:47 PM
Is it possible, though I doubt it given it being a call center, to carry your own physical recording evidence? For example. a video camera of your entire shift, dated (newspaper dated!), to present to the IT department or your superiors?

afroakuma
2008-11-16, 08:54 PM
a) Nope.

b) As I said, there's no way I could be hanging up without people noticing. I was sitting right next to my supervisor, who had tapped in to my line. She saw the call drop without me touching a thing. She heard the recording end while I continued to talk. I had a minute-long call evaporate into 2 seconds of silence.

Unfortunately, that supervisor's not the one compiling evidence. Also, she's known to favor me, so her witness will be less compelling than I might hope.

Reinboom
2008-11-16, 08:59 PM
And I also assume there is no way to bargain with your superiors. A convincing of "have the IT sit tapped on my line for 15 minutes."

If not, collect your supervisor as a professional reference and I would start compiling information to begin the search for another job, as a just in case.

afroakuma
2008-11-16, 09:12 PM
And I also assume there is no way to bargain with your superiors. A convincing of "have the IT sit tapped on my line for 15 minutes."

Sadly, that's basically what was done today. My supervisor monitored me for a solid two hours. Since IT's of the opinion that I'm the cause, I doubt I can get one to do the same. Might be a last resort, though.

If not, collect your supervisor as a professional reference and I would start compiling information to begin the search for another job, as a just in case.

Yeah, this might be where this is headed. :smallfrown: I liked this job. I was good at it. Not to mention the time of year, and the current economy...

adanedhel9
2008-11-16, 10:08 PM
Hah! I am amused that there's actually a thread concerning my field...

Do you happen to know what platform your call center runs on? And what is this auth code that you think could be the problem? Depending on the specifics, I might be able to give you some technical suggestions.

Beyond that, though, I don't have many suggestions. In my experience, call center managers are stubborn and beaurocratic; if their reporting software says you've been hanging up on calls, then in their minds you have been, and you have next to no chance of convincing them otherwise.

afroakuma
2008-11-16, 10:19 PM
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Especially since we just got new duty software, so I expect they don't want to have to shell out more cash to fix another program.

I'm afraid I don't know what platform it is, but I think it was developed by another company that works with us.

Anyway, I have work tomorrow morning... hopefully I survive. I'm unlikley to find another decent-paying job with this much flexibility - not to mention benefits. :smallfrown:

snoopy13a
2008-11-16, 10:20 PM
Could you ask to be assigned a different authorization code?

If there's no way out then you'll have to consider a preemptive resigning to avoid being fired. I suppose it would depend on the unemployment benefits in your area. If you resign then you can't apply for unemployment. If you are terminated without cause then applying for unemployment is easy. Being terminated for cause (which is a strong possibly I think) can lead to difficulties getting unemployment.

Basically, I'd check what the procedure would be to apply for unemployment based on being terminated for cause and how long it would take to obtain these benefits. After that, you'll have to make the decision on whether it would be better to resign and try and stick it out.

afroakuma
2008-11-16, 10:24 PM
I have asked to be assigned a different authorization. The problem is, IT has told my manager that there is no way that there could be a problem with the authorization code that would cause call dropping. Which means The chance of that passing is nil.

Not to mention, if they test my code on one of its good periods, I'm completely screwed, as I will have nothing to back me up.

Sereg
2008-11-16, 10:27 PM
Man, that sucks. Well, I can't think of any suggestions that haven't been given already but if I do I'll let you know. Hope it turns out alright.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-11-16, 10:32 PM
What it looks to me like is that the IT department just had a lot of "fun" setting up all the software, the databases, etc. So no matter what, they're going to say it's your fault. Because if it's not, it means it's their fault.

And well... 1. They don't want to admit it, and 2. They finally have some free time after setting up the system to play some Crysis/Fallout/Spore/whatever and don't want to fix the system, since it'll mean less time for Crysis/Fallout/Spore/whatever.

So unfortunately, you can expect them to be dead set against you.

And unless some other employee has the same glitch you do, they won't shift their position. Hell, if they're lazy enough and don't know you personally, they may just fabricate some evidence (which will be a few extra clicks in their software) if it'll mean less trouble for them. And no-one except another IT guy who works there will be able to catch them do it.

afroakuma
2008-11-16, 10:36 PM
I know of nobody else with the same problem; it probably doesn't help that many (but not all) of our current agents are far newer than I am, so their access codes may be more ironclad than mine. However, the few who remain from my hiring haven't evidenced any such problems.

Judging from the fact that my supervisor (from today) wasn't supposed to tell me, I'm expecting to see a buttload of evidence very soon, along with a meeting and probably a canning.

evnafets
2008-11-16, 10:55 PM
Would they need to give written warning/verbal warning before taking the step of "letting you go"?
What does your employment contract say about termination of employment from their end?

Do you even have an employment contract?
(Clueless about employment laws in the US)

afroakuma
2008-11-16, 10:57 PM
Canadian, and I do have a contract, although I'd need to see their copy.

I would ordinarily expect one or two written/verbal warnings, but they may take the position that since the situation is such an extraordinary breach of company trust (as it would be, I mean come on, two months of working at a call center without taking calls? That's practically theft!) warrants immediate dismissal.

Winter_Wolf
2008-11-16, 11:20 PM
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Especially since we just got new duty software, so I expect they don't want to have to shell out more cash to fix another program.

*snip*

This right here, where I bolded it. Basically you're screwed because IT is like most other bureaucratic twits. "Of course" it can't possibly be their screwup. Even though it's well known that pretty much nothing computer related will ever work right the first dozen or so times you try it. Hell, my computer had problems from the first boot up straight from out of the box direct from the place that built it. IT screws up all the time, and they've found that they more or less have impunity because no one else really knows the details of what they do.

Not saying all IT are bad, but you know. Why would you do favors for anyone if it makes yourself look bad (even if it's really your fault anyway)?

Hopefully you won't become a casualty of new software malfunction. Good Luck!

dish
2008-11-17, 12:12 AM
Can I just recap (correct me if I'm wrong):
- One of the supervisors has watched and listened to you whilst seeing that the software was malfunctioning.
- This supervisor is known to favour you, so you're worried that upper management won't believe her.

I would suggest:
- If possible, before upper management call you in for a meeting, get another supervisor to monitor you. You need to persuade the friendly supervisor to get one of her colleagues to do the job. That way you've got the back-up of two supervisors during the meeting.
- Can you prove that this problem has only begun since the software changed? If so, that could help.
- During the meeting, remain calm and collected. Don't get upset. You've got to hope that the supervisors stand up for you, but if they don't you've got to ask politely for a proper investigation.
- If the worst comes to the worst, always be polite, but remind them that if they fire you will take it to court (or whatever procedures are in place in Canada) for unfair dismissal.

Enlong
2008-11-17, 12:15 AM
This... this is...
ARG.
So the gist of it is that you're probably going to get fired because it's more convenient for the bigwigs then admitting their software has a glitch? Why, humanity? Why do you have to test my faith in people so?

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-17, 12:35 AM
start making a log of ALL calls that go silent. Get your supervisor to sign off on it where possible. At least that way you'll have some evidence of your own to present in any meetings.

also - have you reported this fault to the IT department before now? They may try and screw you on a failure of duty issue for not reporting the fault

afroakuma
2008-11-17, 06:58 AM
Can you prove that this problem has only begun since the software changed? If so, that could help.

Oh no, this software change was for our actual work. It had nothing to do with the phone login. That is a completely separate program.

start making a log of ALL calls that go silent. Get your supervisor to sign off on it where possible. At least that way you'll have some evidence of your own to present in any meetings.

also - have you reported this fault to the IT department before now? They may try and screw you on a failure of duty issue for not reporting the fault

Can't be done. I tried that yesterday. The problem is, I'm on a headset. And someof these dead calls that are routed to me come through without sound or signal, so I'm not aware of them. I missed about six yesterday of those ones alone.

And no; I'm kicking myself for not having noticed it, but now of course it's too late.

Zeb The Troll
2008-11-17, 08:56 AM
Is it at all possible that it's the hardware and not the software that's at fault?

GolemsVoice
2008-11-17, 10:09 AM
While I have, unfortunately, no more solutions to offer, it pains me to see you in such a situation where you can't defend yourself well, despite being innocent. I really feel with you there. But let's hope that truth prevails! Best of luck.

afroakuma
2008-11-17, 10:09 AM
We're talking about probably sixteen different computers in two different buildings. There's no way it could be hardware.

AKA_Bait
2008-11-17, 01:23 PM
Ok, so is the issue here:

a) Calls have been coming into your headset but you aren't hearing them or getting any sound and so the person on the other side hangs up? or;

b) Callls have been coming in fine but the software that records the calls as you make them is recording a hangup rather than the call content?

If it's the latter, depending upon what your call center is for, you may be able to prove some of the calls existed. If it is the sort of call center where someone from your organization is going to follow up with the callers later then all you need is a call you know came in during a particular period during which things weren't recorded, your notes on it, and someone elses notes (or the recording of) a follow up call where the person called clearly had already spoken with someone.

If the former, you are probably screwed.

potatocubed
2008-11-17, 01:31 PM
Here is a golden rule from the world of work: any time someone uses the word 'impossible', they are absolutely and categorically wrong. That word is a red flag to anyone who knows what they're doing, in any field.

Sadly... this doesn't help you at all. About the best suggestion I can give you is to approach the supervisor who likes you and ask them if you can use them personally as a reference for your next job, rather than going through the company.

afroakuma
2008-11-17, 02:20 PM
Ok, so is the issue here:

a) Calls have been coming into your headset but you aren't hearing them or getting any sound and so the person on the other side hangs up? or;

b) Callls have been coming in fine but the software that records the calls as you make them is recording a hangup rather than the call content?

Both have been occuring. The software that processes recording is the same software that delegates, holds and terminates calls.

On the "bright" side, I've been told that even if their investigation results in a verdict against me, the most I'll get is a formal reprimand in my permanent record, which is severe enough to crush any shot at promotion but will keep me employed. :smallfrown: So that's a small blessing.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-11-17, 03:14 PM
On the bright side, that gives you time to look for a better job...

PS: where in Canada are you?

afroakuma
2008-11-17, 03:19 PM
Eastern. La Nouvelle-Écosse.

Mando Knight
2008-11-17, 03:32 PM
Here is a golden rule from the world of work: any time someone uses the word 'impossible', they are absolutely and categorically wrong. That word is a red flag to anyone who knows what they're doing, in any field.

...unless you're talking about a statistical (>0.00000001% chance should be good enough...), physical, or historical impossibility, such as the sun burning out in the next minute for no reason, or my father dying in June 1988 (I'm here, so he had to be around in August '88, and I know he's still alive!), or an insulated, neutral-charged rock in free fall falling up.

paddyfool
2008-11-17, 04:08 PM
Ouch...

My commiserations. I hope the IT error gets identified and fixed right away, and your name cleared. It's a bad time to be under scrutiny right now.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-17, 04:13 PM
Speaking as an off-and-on IT worker, your IT guys are full of crap and are trying to pass the buck (the helpdesk guys pulled that crap on me all the time). You've got your supervisor on your side, at least, so go on the offensive. Compile your own evidence of the authorization software failing and present it to the Powers That Be (TM) to get the blame shifted to the IT goons where it belongs.

Here is a golden rule from the world of work: any time someone uses the word 'impossible', they are absolutely and categorically wrong. That word is a red flag to anyone who knows what they're doing, in any field.This man is 100% correct, at least as far as software is concerned.

Tormsskull
2008-11-17, 04:30 PM
I use to work in a call center as well, but we did not have auth codes.

Question: Doesn't your phone ring or a light on your phone indicate that you have an incoming call? Don't you have to push a button to open a line?

If so, and the call drops AFTER you open the line, then it should be easy to keep track of. Just write down the time on a sheet of paper each time this happens.

If the calls simply die in transit to your phone system, then IT should have a very easy way to see that you never opened a line (i.e. picked up the phone).

I'd just tell your supervisor that you are concerned about being able to do your job properly since there seems to be some issue. Ask your supervisor for suggestions of what to do. This will show that you are definitely not trying to hide anything, and if you do have to meet with the top people you can explain to them, in a calm and clear voice, that you were made aware that there was a problem and that you tried to rectify it.

Basically, IT is telling your higher ups that you are messing around, so you need to do everything in your power to appear overt and willing to work.

If you do have a conference with supervisors regarding this make sure that you make your conversation about the company and the calls coming in. I.E. "I'm very disappointed that there has been some kind of issue where I am not receiving the calls I should be."

Also, as a last resort, is there anyway to get a log of the missed calls and call out to them until the problem is fixed? Even if there isn't offer to do it. I.E. "I wish there was a way for me to call those calls that are getting disconnected so that our customers know we are doing our best to service them."

etc.

Sha'uri
2008-11-17, 05:20 PM
ok, i work with only one IT guy, and he admits to everyone who's not his boss he doesn't need to be there 40 hours a week. Your IT guys seem to be the same type of people.

if the phone's aren't working tell your supervisor who favors you to let you go over her head to HER supervisor to avoid favortisim accusations, and ask that IT check to make sure, if they say "impossible" say "prove it"

next, after you prfessionally spank the entire IT department, figure out who was the first idiot to say impossible. Offer to take them out to a bar to make up for all the crazyness, get them nice and hammered, then on the way home drop them off on the bosses front lawn.

afroakuma
2008-11-17, 05:32 PM
I use to work in a call center as well, but we did not have auth codes.

Question: Doesn't your phone ring or a light on your phone indicate that you have an incoming call? Don't you have to push a button to open a line?

Nope. Routed straight through the headset. We hear two beeps and then the call begins.

afroakuma
2008-11-22, 12:36 AM
Update:

Apparently they tested my authorization code independently and it worked just fine. Since it doesn't combine with any other data than the phone, it is therefore now above suspicion.

Needless to say, I am not.

Combined with their numbers, which show that I really should have noticed something was up (I agree, I really should have, that is completely my fault), things are looking poorly for me. I was told that I'd only get a disciplinary form, but if they feel I've been stonewalling or outright lying, they may opt for termination.

*sigh* I did not need this to happen now...

Anyone have any further advice? I'm considering two options at the moment:

1) Offering to sign a disciplinary form accepting full responsibility without confession (because they'll want to know how I "did it" and there's no human way "it" could have been done) in exchange for a new auth code, just in case.

2) Quitting.

I favor the latter because it's faster, but unfortunately I won't get employment insurance unless I quit for a good reason without other recourse, which the company will likely deny. Also, I'm a student, so it's probably not going to be easy to find another job. :smallfrown:

On the other hand, I also lose EI benefits if fired. As well, I really want to avoid a black spot on my career record.

Anyone?

Rawhide
2008-11-22, 12:42 AM
Go to them and flat out demand (politely but assertively) a new authorisation code, have your supervisor sign off on this if possible. Keep insisting that you have done no wrong, do not accept a reprimand and tell them that they are welcome to monitor you on your new authorisation code.

FoE
2008-11-22, 12:57 AM
Burn down the call centre. Or, if you're not eager to go down the so-called 'crazy' route ...

My advice is not to freak out too much about this. You got a reprimand; it happens. Even getting fired is not the most terrible thing that can happen to a person. Hell, I've been fired a couple of times. It sucks very much, but worse things do happen. Compare losing a job to waking up the next morning and urinating blood. I recognize you're a student, but there are other jobs out there, even in this economy. And really, were you going to work in a call centre all your life? At some point you were going to have to quit.

If you're really worried, start getting your resume ready and start looking around for a new job. Confide in this supervisor who favours you and ask for a reference.

thubby
2008-11-22, 01:22 AM
i personally wouldn't do much of anything. if, all of a sudden, you get better, what does that say? yes, that you were up to something, but you've stopped.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-11-22, 10:38 AM
I work in a call center also, and this kind of thing does happen.

The difference is, it does not keep happening. The managers in place work with their workers to determine the problem. It is a matter of troubleshooting.

If the same problem happens with a different authorization code on the same hardware, then the problem is with the hardware. You will need to work with management in general to get assigned another desk. If they are completely unwilling to help you, based on some BS being spouted off by IT, then you need to involve a lawyer and the HR dept. They are not treating you right. If the problem does not happen with the same authorization code and different hardware, then it is the hardware at your desk. Ask to be assigned to a different desk for some time. Use the same code. If the problem still persists, then the last remaining thing is the code. They are bound by law (as far as I can infer) to provide a new code for you to do your job. If they are unwilling to do that, then lawyer up and talk to HR. If the problem still persists, then there is something else wrong there.

The problem I see from the information given is that the bureaucracy in place is not doing enough troubleshooting. They are taking the IT dept. word for it when they say it is not their problem. Trust is one thing, but blind obedience is another.