PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Masterwork Skill Tools List

Darkmatter
2008-11-16, 08:35 PM
I've been trying to come up with a comprehensive list of masterwork skill items that are at least slightly realistic. This is as per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork). I've got decent items for only some of them, and in the interest of having a complete and accessible list, I decided to post it here to let everyone comment. I'll update the list if anyone comes up with good items that aren't on there.

I've decided to make three categories of tools: tool kits, single tools, and combat tools. Tool kits are multiple items, many of which may need to be replaced - a medical kit with aspirin (or willow bark) for the heal skill for example. Items in kits that are expendable will be marked as such. Single tools are just that - single tools which could be reused indefinitely - a pair of jeweler's goggles for appraise, for example. Combat tools are those which could conceivably be used to boost a character's skill in a situation in which s/he could not take ten, without needing to produce a non-combat item from their bag - war paint, for example, could be worn and used to increase the intimidate skill in combat, while a painstakingly made nasty looking dagger would require a move action to draw. Some tools, of course, will fall into multiple categories.

I'll list each of the skills in the SRD along with the current best candidates for masterwork items. Any skill that has a '?' next to it indicates that I couldn't come up with a plausible item, or that the item I thought up is pretty questionable in and of itself. Like

Tool kits:

Appraise: Magnifying glasses, scratch test samples [expendable], a small manual of prices [expendable - exchange rates change...]
Autohyptnosis: Shiny disk on a chain, scented candles [expendable], "worry rock" - smooth, soothing stone to hold
Balance: A light 6 ft. pole
Bluff: Sunglasses
Climb: Pitons, rope, harness, carabiners, small pick
Concentration: Earplugs, scented candles [expendable], small gong, "worry rock" - smooth, soothing stone to hold
Craft: Saws, chisels (adamantine tipped), hammers, files, sandpaper, etc.
Decipher Script: A magnifying glass, a book of ancient writings
Diplomacy: Appropriate clothes (including heraldry, if applicable), scented soap [expendable], breath freshener [expendable]
Disable Device: Masterwork thief's tools
Disguise: An assortment of clothing, makeup [expendable], false nose with a moustache
Escape Artist: Grease [expendable], a crowbar, a small sharp knife, saw
Forgery: Inks [expendable], paper [expendable], wax [expendable], soapstone and knife (for carving seals)
Gather Information: As diplomacy. Also, a few GP worth of silver [expendable]
Handle Animal: Padded arm guards/gloves, animal treats [expendable], leash, whip
Heal: Bandages [expendable], simple medicines [expendable], antiseptics [expendable], sling/splint material [expendable]
Hide: Camouflaged cloaks (for different terrain), makeup [expendable], tar (for shiny weapons) [expendable]
Intimidate: War paint [expendable], a nasty looking weapon (crafted to look painful, not for combat)
Jump: A light 10 ft pole, padded soles for shoes (jumping down)
Knowledge: Books on the appropriate subject
Listen: Listening horn, listening pills (increase aural sensitivity) ? [expendable]
Move Silently: Soft soled shoes, tiedowns for metallic items
Open Lock: Thief's tools
Perform [instrument]: Masterwork instrument, tuning fork
Perform [vocal]: Throat spray [expendable], tuning fork
Perform [visual]: Appropriate clothes (e.g. tap shoes, top hat, cane)
Profession: Too many variations to list
Ride: Saddle, reins, brushes, hoof cleaner, whip
Search: Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass, candles [expendable], tindertwigs [expendable]
Sense Motive: ?
Sleight of Hand: Sock puppet (for performance), razor blade (for pickpocketing), specially designed sleeves
Speak Language: Phrasebook ?
Spell/Psicraft: Reference manual, arcane indicators (magically active substances) [expendable], arcane barometer (nonmagical, but moves with magical influx)
Spot: Telescope, seeing pills (increase visual sensitivity) ? [expendable]
Survival: Fishhooks, line, snares, survival book, warm, waterproof cloak
Swim: Flippers, snorkel, flotation bladder
Tumble: Tight, well made clothing with knee/elbow/shoulder pads
Use Magic/Psionic Device: As spellcraft
Use Rope: Really nice rope, book of knots

Single tools:

Appraise: Magnifying glass
Autohyptnosis: Shiny disk on a chain
Balance: A light 6 ft. pole
Climb: Climbing harness
Concentration: ?
Craft: Depends on craft - not likely a single tool, though.
Decipher Script: A book of ancient writings
Diplomacy: Appropriate clothes (including heraldry, if applicable)
Disable Device: Masterwork thief's tools (no single tool)
Disguise: False nose with a mustache (again, no single tool)
Escape Artist: ?
Forgery: ?
Gather Information: As diplomacy.
Handle Animal: ?
Heal: ?
Hide: Camouflaged cloak
Intimidate: A nasty looking weapon (crafted to look painful, not for combat)
Jump: A light 10 ft pole
Knowledge: Book on the appropriate subject
Listen: Listening horn
Move Silently: Soft soled shoes
Open Lock: Thief's tools (no single tool)
Perform [instrument]: Masterwork instrument
Perform [vocal]: Tuning fork
Ride: Saddle
Search: Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass
Sleight of Hand: Sock puppet (for performance) or razor blade (for pickpocketing)
Speak Language: Phrasebook ?
Spell/Psicraft: Reference manual
Spot: Telescope
Survival: ?
Swim: Flippers
Use Magic/Psionic Device: Arcane barometer (lets you know when you're close to getting it to work)
Use Rope: Really nice rope

Combat-useful (always 'on', once applied) tools:

Appraise: n/a
Autohyptnosis: Worry rock ring - non-magical, always on finger
Balance: ?
Climb: Climbing gloves ?
Concentration: Worry rock ring - non-magical, always on finger
Craft: n/a
Decipher Script: n/a
Diplomacy: Nice clothes
Disable Device: ?
Disguise: Makeup [expendable]
Escape Artist: Grease [expendable]
Forgery: n/a
Gather Information: As diplomacy.
Handle Animal: ?
Heal: ?
Hide: Camouflage makeup [expendable]
Intimidate: Warpaint [expendable]
Jump: ?
Knowledge: ?
Listen: Listening pills ?
Move Silently: Soft soled shoes
Open Lock: ?
Perform [instrument]: Masterwork instrument (you need the instrument already...)
Perform [vocal]: Throat spray [expendable]
Ride: Saddle
Search: ?
Sleight of Hand: ?
Speak Language: ?
Spell/Psicraft: ?
Spot: Seeing pills (increase visual acuity) [expendable] ?
Survival: ?
Swim: Snorkel (though you'd look pretty funny)
Use Magic/Psionic Device: ?
Use Rope: Really nice rope (you need the rope already...)

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-16, 08:42 PM
UMD: A pointy blue wizard's hat.

Dublock
2008-11-16, 08:45 PM
I glanced over the list, good list although I noticed something

Diplomacy: Nice clothes

I would rule that would not always grant a bonus. For example in modern if you were dealing with a dug addict wearing a suit, well...I would be hesitant.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-16, 08:47 PM
Some musings and feedback...

For bluff, fancy clothing could work.
For sense motive, a lie detector <g> in a fantasy world I don't quite see how that one would work.

For concentration, what you list really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Most of what you list for escape artist couldn't be used when you're tied up, which appears to be one of the primary uses of escapism.
I've never heard of listening pills or visual pills - but if you're getting into that, why not "knowledge pills" or "jumping pills" as well?
Note that a tuning fork really doesn't make you sing better, and for that matter neither does throat spray.
I also fail to see how tight clothing makes you tumble better than, say, wearing as little clothing as possible.
And a MW item for use rope makes about as much sense as the use rope skill in and of itself, which is to say "not a lot".

Note that many of the things you list cost way less than the 50 gp which is the apparent standard for MW items. They might actually be considered bare necessities. For instance, a gather info attempt could cost you a couple silver to buy people ale as a default. That's not really MW.

Note also the time it takes to use certain items. A knowledge check is said to be instantaneous, but looking something up in a book would take at least a standard action, probably longer. This is particularly relevant to e.g. spellcraft.

Fostire
2008-11-16, 08:50 PM
I glanced over the list, good list although I noticed something

I would rule that would not always grant a bonus. For example in modern if you were dealing with a dug addict wearing a suit, well...I would be hesitant.

How about "Clothing adequate to the occasion"

Tehnar
2008-11-16, 08:54 PM
For diplomacy and bluff there is the saying:

Gold wearing rags gets better service then copper wearing silk.

You might not have manners, but gold has manners of its own.

Darkmatter
2008-11-16, 09:09 PM
In general, I guess clothing should indeed be listed as "appropriate," so that a diplomacy kit (or bluff, etc) kit would include heraldry for nearby lands, a few items of appropriate jewelry, and maybe a short handbook of customs.

KG,

I suppose fancy clothing could work for bluff, but it seems in the case of lying, it's just as common for well-dressed people. I think I'd still like something else.

Concentration tools are basically aids in meditation. Yes, these things will help you concentrate, but not really in combat, which is where it matters in the game.

For escape artist, I listed things that would help if you were in a position to take 20 on escape artist, such as going through a narrow passageway. Again, this won't help at all in combat, or if you're away from your equipment. Except for greasing yourself up...

Yeah, listening pills are pretty out there. There are drugs that increase sensitivity to sound, so I included them (after all, we have acid in D&D that can actually kill a man in 6 seconds... we're allowed a little chemical ignorance, right?)

Good throat care is very important to singers, hence the throat spray, though it's the more questionable one. A tuning fork would be vital, as anyone without perfect pitch needs some sort of reference note.

Little clothing for tumble won't work as well as having all of your skin covered with tight clothes to minimize abrasion, and knee/elbow pads to take some of the impact.

I tend to agree with you on use rope. It's on there for the sake of completeness...

As far as the costs, remember that these have to be high quality items, and I'm considering that to be key here. Sure, you could get a 10 ft pole for 2sp, but the fancy, high quality balance pole custom made for your height and weight will run you 50 gp. Though the gather information one, I'll cheerfully admit, is pretty weak.

The time required I took into account with the "combat" section. You won't be getting a book bonus to recognize the beasty that just popped out of the BBEG's gate unless you take the time to look it up. By which time it probably won't matter much.

Curmudgeon
2008-11-17, 10:58 AM
Is it really necessary to go into this level of detail? The standard Equipment list has, for 50 gp:
Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack. Isn't that enough?

Saph
2008-11-17, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I usually allow people whatever they want, as long as they make a good case for it.

However, I generally say that any skill tool requires at least one hand to use for the character to gain any benefit, or at least a body slot. I find this keeps skill tools useful, without making it so that every character carries a bagful of them.

- Saph

monty
2008-11-17, 11:38 AM
Is it really necessary to go into this level of detail? The standard Equipment list has, for 50 gp: Isn't that enough?

On the other hand, look at the alchemist's lab. 500 gp and 40 pounds.

Riffington
2008-11-17, 04:58 PM
On the other hand, look at the alchemist's lab. 500 gp and 40 pounds.

Yeah. Not all masterwork tools will cost 50gp, be portable, or even be available.

A masterwork toolkit for Knowledge: Arcana is sure to be an expensive tome.
A masterwork toolkit for Concentration might be a koi pond.
And there might not even be a toolkit for Sense Motive or Use Magic Device.

monty
2008-11-17, 05:00 PM
And there might not even be a toolkit for Sense Motive or Use Magic Device.

But there has to be a UMD tool! The Giamonk relies on it!

BRC
2008-11-17, 05:03 PM
No, the masterwork tool for Diplomacy is a greatclub.

Riffington
2008-11-17, 05:15 PM

Once you've gotten to that level of rules sketchiness, you can just add on a +2 competence skill bonus to an item for 600 gp.

monty
2008-11-17, 05:17 PM
No, the masterwork tool for Diplomacy is a greatclub.

I'd think the best masterwork tool for Diplomacy is a half-ogre bodyguard following you around.

Or being a wizard.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-17, 05:24 PM
No, the masterwork tool for Diplomacy is a greatclub big stick.

Fixed it for you

hamishspence
2008-11-17, 05:26 PM
Does Speaking Softly grant a bonus that stacks with the Big Stick bonus? :smallbiggrin:

Riffington
2008-11-17, 05:31 PM
Does Speaking Softly grant a bonus that stacks with the Big Stick bonus? :smallbiggrin:

Oddly enough, no - that one's for +2 to intimidate.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-17, 05:48 PM
I believe that his tool was a tinfoil hat...

newbDM
2008-11-17, 05:56 PM
Darkmatter, thank you for making this list. This is perfect for me, since I always like buying and using such things when I play (I am often the only one who buys torches and clothes...). And as a DM I could definitely use this.

What about these items:
The Tongs of Armorer

newbDM
2008-11-17, 05:58 PM
Darkmatter, thank you for making this list. This is perfect for me, since I always like buying and using such things when I play (I am often the only one who buys torches and clothes...). And as a DM I could definitely use this.

What about these items:
The Tongs of Armorer

Wow. Why does my post keep glitching up, and cutting off there?

Here is what I tried to post four times:

[QUOTE]Darkmatter, thank you for making this list. This is perfect for me, since I always like buying and using such things when I play (I am often the only one who buys torches and clothes...). And as a DM I could definitely use this.

What about these items:
The Tongs of Armorer

newbDM
2008-11-17, 05:59 PM
The Hammer of the Weaponsmith from Magic of Faerun.

I believe there was a similar item for bowmaking as well.

edit:
OK, the last part finally posted. Kinda of confused.

gibbo88
2008-11-17, 09:15 PM
What about some variation of finger blades for escape artist?

If you knotted a rope to climb that would give a bonus?

Darkmatter
2008-11-17, 09:30 PM
Finger blades are what I was getting at with the small, sharp knife. Knotting a rope just subtracts 10 from a climb DC. (5 for knotted rope, 15 for unknotted.)

Addressing the cost issues, I'm also trying to make these items meet the cost range, approximately. The alchemist's lab is a little odd in its cost, but all the other craft tools (the generic 55 gp) and the thief's tools (100 gp for a bonus to two skills) fall in line with the SRD pricing.

With regards to the "Hammer of the Weaponsmith" et al., I believe those are wondrous items, and would be great for improving skills to even more ridiculous levels, but wouldn't function, say, in an antimagic field. Plus, they cost more, a bit much for the discerning 2nd level skill user...

Prometheus
2008-11-17, 10:11 PM
Bluff: shades
Sense Motive: a lawful religious symbol
Diplomacy: an appropriate flag or symbol

Darkmatter
2008-11-18, 04:42 PM
I like the sunglasses for bluff - anachronistic or not, that's a pretty effective one.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-18, 07:46 PM
I like the sunglasses for bluff - anachronistic or not, that's a pretty effective one.http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/stoopidtallkid/motivator4279386.jpg

monty
2008-11-18, 07:50 PM
I like the sunglasses for bluff - anachronistic or not, that's a pretty effective one.

It's been proven that less expensive sunglasses are more effective, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RGb2YQ1ao

Ionizer
2008-11-18, 08:17 PM
There are extra skill kits in Complete Adventurer, such as a Training kit for Handle Animal and a long balance pole for, well, Balance. There is also Alchemical help with skills. For example, there is a powder that you sprinkle in your ears for a +1 bonus to listen checks for 1 minute, or a gel that you smear on your eyes for spot.

But you have a great list there. I might steal a few of them, if that's cool with you :)

Ascension
2008-11-18, 08:44 PM
Don't forget the masterwork instruments from... I think it's Complete Adventurer. They modify bard songs in various ways, mostly giving bonuses. If I remember correctly a masterwork fiddle plus a certain level of expertise in both Perform (String Instruments) and Perform (Dance) gives pretty crazy bonuses.

The problem there being, of course, that if you're busy fiddling and dancing you're not going to be able to do anything else unless you've got the feat that allows you to cast in the midst of a bard song.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-18, 08:45 PM
Don't forget the masterwork instruments from... I think it's Complete Adventurer. They modify bard songs in various ways, mostly giving bonuses. If I remember correctly a masterwork fiddle plus a certain level of expertise in both Perform (String Instruments) and Perform (Dance) gives pretty crazy bonuses.

The problem there being, of course, that if you're busy fiddling and dancing you're not going to be able to do anything else unless you've got the feat that allows you to cast in the midst of a bard song.There's Bards without that feat? I can't picture making one above about level 5 without either Melodic Casting, Lingering Song, or Snowflake Wardance.

Ascension
2008-11-18, 09:04 PM
There's Bards without that feat? I can't picture making one above about level 5 without either Melodic Casting, Lingering Song, or Snowflake Wardance.

Well, I've never played a pure bard, only bardbarians, and they've never had enough casting for it to matter.

Heliomance
2008-11-18, 10:15 PM
Aye, if you're allowed more than just core, Melodic Casting is pretty much the Bardic equivalent of Natural Spell.